global directory of translation services
 The translation workplace
KudoZ home » Spanish to English » Medical (general)



Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
18:05 Aug 6, 2012
Spanish to English translations [PRO]
Medical - Medical (general) / SPEECH IMPEDIMENTS
Spanish term or phrase: MAJIJO
Hi, I'm not sure if this is widely used, but in Costa Rica we use it to refer to a person that has the particular speech impediment of the cleft palate.

Is there any specific word in English for this? Not call the person a "person with a cleft palate speech impediment" but a particular term for a person.


Ivannia Garcia
Local time: 15:34

Summary of answers provided
3 +1individual with cleft-palate speechMaria Kisic



48 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 3/5Answerer confidence 3/5 peer agreement (net): +1
individual with cleft-palate speech

Correct me if I am wrong, but majijo seems to be colloquial, slangy.

My answer then depends on the register.

Maria Kisic
Local time: 17:34
Specializes in field
Native speaker of: Native in SpanishSpanish
PRO pts in category: 52
Notes to answerer
Asker: Yes, it is colloquial; but the term in English can be anything, I just can't seem to find the particular word for a person that is not just a description of the condition.

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
agree  liz askew: or "person"
39 mins
  -> Thank you, Liz.
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)
The asker has declined this answer

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also: