Hear this word spoken
Click the speaker icon of the best audio format for your computer.
veg·e·ta·tive [véjj tàytiv ] adjective
1. concerned with plants: relating to, involving, typical of, or like vegetation, plants, or plant growth
2. involving growth, not sexual reproduction: relating to, involving, or typical of processes in the maintenance or growth and development of an organism, rather than sexual reproduction
3. reproducing from body cells of parent: used to describe a method of reproduction, especially in plants, in which new individuals originate from the body cells of the parent rather than from specialized sex cells. Organs of vegetative reproduction in plants include bulbs, corms, tubers, and rhizomes.
4. dull or inactive: dull, inactive, and undemanding in lifestyle
5. offensive term: an offensive term meaning that normal functions are reduced or absent because of injury to the brain
Encarta® World English