Russian to English
Spanish to English
| Freelancer |
|Biology (-tech,-chem,micro-)||Computers: Systems, Networks|
|Poetry & Literature||Mathematics & Statistics|
|Computers (general)||Certificates, Diplomas, Licenses, CVs|
| Questions asked: 1 |
|Sample translations submitted: 3 |
|Russian to English: Fairy tale summary|
General field: Art/Literary
|Source text - Russian|
Живущий в своё удовольствие Иван вынужден взять в жены ужасную лягушку. Но оказывается, что это заколдованная красавица. Теперь, чтобы она навсегда осталась прекрасной и чтобы завоевать её сердце, он должен пройти волшебные испытания.
|Translation - English|
Ivan is a happy young man who one day is forced to take a hideous frog woman as his wife. As it turns out, the lake creature was really a beautiful maid put under a spell. Now, in order to keep her in her current state and win her heart, Ivan must overcome a series of magical tests.
|Italian to English: Postal notice on a package|
|Source text - Italian|
Ogni tentativo di manomissione sarà evidenziato.
|Translation - English|
|French to English: University entrance requirements|
|Source text - French|
Pour les candidats à la maîtrise universitaire, le résultat est, selon la faculté et la maîtrise universitaire choisies, éliminatoire ou simplement indicatif du niveau de connaissance du français.
|Translation - English|
For applicants to a Masters program, depending on the faculty and specific degree chosen, either a passing score is required for admission, or your score will merely be taken as an indication of your French language level.
| Russian medical |
|Years of translation experience: 5. Registered at ProZ.com: Aug 2010.|
|Microsoft Office Pro, Wordfast|
|CV available upon request|
E-mail: zhanglily89 [at] gmail [dot] com
Phone: +1 614 397 4520
I was born in China and moved to the United States at age 5. My formative years were spent in the lovely Midwestern state of Ohio. I speak Mandarin with my family but my professional focus is on Spanish and Russian, as well as the Balkan languages. Translation is one of my passions and I strive to bring the highest standards of professionalism and expertise to my work.
I am also a formatting and layout expert who will go to great lengths to make your target document aesthetically match the source as closely as possible, saving you the trouble. The difference between one of my deliveries and another linguist's is immediately noticeable, so my clients have told me.
- Russian – English
- Spanish – English
- Working knowledge of: Albanian, Bulgarian, Chinese (Mandarin), Dutch, French, Italian, Macedonian, Romanian, Serbo-Croatian
Native Language: English (US)
- BA/BS dual degree with Honors and a triple major in International Studies, Russian and Biology,
The Ohio State University, 2009
- Sciences: multivariable calculus & analysis, organic chemistry, physics
- Worked 2 years in a molecular genetics laboratory
- Humanities: global economics, world literature & cinema, international politics
- Certified Translator (Spanish and Russian to English), ProTranslating, Inc., Miami, FL
- Albanian Literature, Language & Culture Seminar, University of Prishtina, Kosovo, 2009
- Intensive Summer Russian Language Program, Tomsk State University, Russia, 2007
- Spring study abroad, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain, 2007
- Achieved a maximum score of 5 on the national, standardized AP (Advanced Placement) Spanish Language Exam, and a 4 in French Language, 2005
- FREELANCE TRANSLATOR – 2009 - present
- In-house translator and editor – ProTranslating, Inc., August 2010 – present
· Other – restaurant server and hostess, non-profit outreach and volunteer coordinator,
organic chemistry tutor, biomedical researcher, promotional model
- Medical – patient case history of heart disease, pharmaceutical documentation
- IT – software manuals, publishing instructions
- Formal – confidential corporate memos
- Marketing – vacation packages, credit cards
I thoroughly research the context of the source document to provide a translation in the full spirit of the original. (My extensive travel and study-abroad experience often comes in handy; I’ve been to 25 countries.) Then I go back over the text to make sure it reads fluidly in English, as if the speaker were a native of the target language to begin with. This way I produce translations that give you the most mileage.
I can provide sample translations upon request and am willing to submit to short tests.
· Grading – evaluated Russian-to-English and Spanish-to-English translation tests for accuracy and style
· Industrial plasma cutter manufacturer – operating manuals, web-pages and marketing materials into 21 languages
- Ensured strict adherence to each language’s style guideline provided by the client
- Attention to minute details in matching layout and formatting to source at DTP stage
- Responded to freelancers’ questions regarding advanced technical concepts
- Major hardware retailer – company-wide bulletins
- Localized punctuation and style
- Microsoft Office 2011 – proficient user of all functions
- Programming knowledge – HTML, XML, Java, C/++, Python, CSS, VisualBasic
- SDL Trados with Multiterm
- Adobe InDesign
- Beetext Flow online project manager
- WebCATT online translation applet
- LanguageLogic online translation applet
Profile last updated
Oct 31, 2013