Member since May '14
Japanese to English
| ||June 2017 || |
| || || || ||1||2||3|
| Dan Lucas |
ex-Japan stock market investment analyst
Local time: 07:53 BST (GMT+1)
| || |
clients and colleagues
on Willingness to Work Again
|No feedback collected|
Two decades of industry experience, at your service
| Freelancer, Verified member |
|Translation, Interpreting, Editing/proofreading, Transcription|
|Automation & Robotics||Engineering: Industrial|
|Automotive / Cars & Trucks||Mechanics / Mech Engineering|
|Investment / Securities||Finance (general)|
|Also works in:|
|Manufacturing||Law: Patents, Trademarks, Copyright|
|IT (Information Technology)||Electronics / Elect Eng|
|Computers: Hardware||Materials (Plastics, Ceramics, etc.)|
|Computers (general)||Computers: Software|
|Business/Commerce (general)||Computers: Systems, Networks|
| PRO-level points: 23, Questions answered: 9 |
|Bachelor's degree - School of Oriental and African Studies|
|Registered at ProZ.com: May 2014. Became a member: May 2014.|
|Japanese to English (SOAS (School of Oriental and African Studies - Univ. of London), verified)|
|Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Illustrator, MemoQ, MemSource Cloud, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Office Pro, Microsoft Word, Emacs, Microsoft Visio, Python, R (statistics), Tableau, Passolo, Powerpoint, SDL TRADOS, STAR Transit|
| Dan Lucas endorses ProZ.com's Professional Guidelines (v1.1). |
Formerly a financial markets professional with years of experience in automotive and machinery industries, now owner of a linguistic services company and freelance translator. Scroll down for details of work experience or refer to CV/résumé.
2016-11-01: A selection from my recent projects (not an exhaustive list):
- Ongoing (daily) translation of highly technical internal communications for luxury auto manufacturer. If you can't follow an email conversation between service personnel in colloquial Japanese on how to diagnose and fix a valve timing fault you're not going to be any good at this...
- Corporate social responsibility (CSR) report for semiconductor-related firm (28,000 characters)
- October has been a predictably busy month for financial reports (tanshin) and presentation materials, so many that there is no point enumerating them here, but all completed successfully.
- Financial reports for a major residential J-REIT
- Another Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) R&D paper on methods for reducing NOx during lean combustion, for global auto OEM
- Very technical Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) R&D paper for major auto company, on ductility of automotive adhesives
- Translation of manual segment for advanced packaging machinery (>20,000 characters)
- Annual reports and filings for major REITs / J-REITs (many tens of thousands of characters - I've been doing a lot in this quite specialized area recently)
- Planning materials for global auto firm's advertising strategy
- Bilingual editing of manuals for automotive diagnostic equipment
- Technical paper on automotive lighting
- Specialist document on transfer pricing issues
- Many financial, CSR and annual reports for Japanese companies
- Financial reports, day after day after day, for some of Japan's largest companies. You know it's reporting season in Japan...
- Many financial filings and shareholder-related documents for multiple firms
- Documents laying out terms for a merger between two large listed companies (10,000 characters)
- Data center operations discussion (8,000 characters)
- Risk assessment materials for machinery manufacturer (4,000 characters)
- Documents for supplier of advanced steel coatings (6,000 characters)
- Biannual report for one of the world's largest monetary institutions (21,000 characters)
- Long-term planning/strategy documents for globally dominant engine supplier (25,000 characters)
- Notice of convocation of AGM for major food company (4,000 characters)
- Internal report on semiconductor device developed for auto market (10,000 characters)
- Meeting minutes for automotive arm of world-famous electronics company (11,000 characters)
- Annual report for a significant company in its sector (25,000 characters)
- Multiple financial reports and presentations for listed company (precision instruments and office automation)
- Test results and analysis for component for use in hydrogen vehicles (6,000 characters)
- Tire marketing materials for major global supplier
- Engineering description for advanced all-wheel drive system
- Financial presentation for train company
- Summary of a fascinating but highly technical paper on the use of machine learning to optimize the design of parabolic antenna reflecting surfaces (2,500 characters)
- Financial reports for automotive parts supplier
- Set-top box (STB) technical specifications for global communications infrastructure firm (10,000 characters)
- Filings/presentation materials for major precision machinery supplier (many)
- Internal materials for Japan arm of European auto company
- Policy documents for a government ministry (13,000 characters)
- Long-term marketing strategy for sports car brand
- Marketing materials for luxury European auto brand in the Japanese market
- Technical research documents on combustion in direct injection engines
- Hydrogen fuel cell vehicle materials for major global automotive player
- Highly technical documentation for LTE/4G cellular base station test tool (15,000 characters)
- CSR documents for globally significant electronics company (8,000 characters)
- Clean/green diesel Japan market analysis (9,000 characters)
- Accounting regulations for automotive company (8,000 characters)
- Corporate identity documents for major non-bank financial firm (13,000 characters)
- Specialist automotive engineering consultancy profile (6,000 characters)
- Investor relations materials for major listed company
- Risk management documents for leading banking group (10,000 characters)
- Notes on development of high-performance tires
- Manual for consumer electronics equipment (14,000 characters)
- Marketing materials for major tire manufacturer (several)
- Proofreading, translation of financial documents (multiple)
- Support materials (racing) for top auto company (4,000 characters)
- Instruction manual for industrial dispensing components (6,000 characters)
- Many financial statements and invitations to shareholder meetings (株主総会招集通知)
- Small automotive pieces for a major truck and bus manufacturer
- Patents on optical disc and on power insulator technology (approx 15,000 characters)
- Market reviews and reports by various institutional investors
- Multiple highly technical papers on hybrid vehicles (HEV/EV) for the Society of Automotive Engineers written by engineers at one of the world's largest auto manufacturers
- A number of kessan tanshin (Japanese financial statements) ranging from 2,000 to more than 14,000 characters, for various publicly listed companies
- The entire text of a detailed and very technical 50-page Japan Industrial Standard
- More than 35,000 characters of enterprise software technical marketing materials for one of the world's largest IT companies
- A 12,000-character periodical on the repo market for a governmental monetary entity
- A technical article on medical devices featuring board members of a major listed company
- A complex economics piece on labour market theory for a government ministry
Successful financial industry professional
Translation is my second career. I graduated from the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) of London University with an upper second-class degree in Japanese with Economics in 1993. I spent a year adding to my skills as a management trainee at Big Six accountancy firm Touche Ross, then switched my focus to the financial markets in 1994, moving to Japan in 1995, where I lived until 2013.
Over that 18-year period I built a successful career as an equities analyst in the Japanese stock market, covering electronics and other technology stocks for blue-chip banks such as Schroders, Credit Suisse, KBC and most recently Macquarie Capital. At Macquarie I was an Associate Director covering auto parts stocks such as Denso, Bridgestone, Aisin Seiki and Toyota Industries.
Carningli Partners was established in early 2013 and offers translation, proof-reading and editing services primarily from Japanese to English.
Proven, real-world linguistic competence
My knowledge of the source language is much more than just theoretical. I speak, read and write Japanese fluently, due not only to a degree in Japanese but also to 20 years of work experience and day-to-day life in Japan. The raw materials of my analytical work - listed company reports, filings, presentations, industry newspapers, specialist journals - were all in Japanese and my contact with listed companies on the telephone and in person was conducted solely in Japanese.
On the other hand, my research was written entirely in English. I have a track record in delivering polished, accurate and readable text in English under challenging conditions. Before publication every single item I wrote was carefully checked by both editors and legal staff for readability and compliance to industry standards. I pride myself on having an exemplary record in that regard; attention to detail is ingrained in my work.
In addition to my duties as an analyst I regularly performed translation and consecutive interpreting for investors visiting listed companies in Japan.
Specialist industry knowledge in abundance
During nearly two decades as an analyst I conducted meetings with literally hundreds of companies in many different sectors in Japan and several dozen companies in Taiwan, China, South Korea, Singapore and Thailand. I monitored developments in my sectors closely and routinely researched new developments and technologies as they appeared. As a result I have in-depth knowledge of several industries, including electronics, machinery/factory automation, semiconductors, specialty chemicals and automotive.
Software, data vizualisation and programming skills
On the technology side I am prepared for anything. I have a full SDL Trados Studio license for those projects that require it. I'm an expert user of Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Visio. I have also used many different graphical applications, including Adobe Illustrator. I have considerable experience in data visualisation using Tableau and - being a competent programmer - both Python and the statistical programming language R. I also speak Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), Perl and have a good working knowlege of HTML. I have just started looking at Clojure. I learn new software applications rapidly.
Motorbikes, cars and code
One major interest outside work is riding and maintaining motorcycles, which gives me an unusually practical understanding of mechanics and engineering terms. Another hobby is software development and I am ranked in the top 10% of users on the StackOverflow Q&A site for programmers, despite not being a professional coder. Outdoors, I enjoy sea fishing (with a Shimano reel, naturally) while my indoor pursuits are wine, reading and cooking, including Japanese cuisine. In addition to Japanese I speak native English, rusty French, reasonable Welsh and basic Mandarin Chinese.
In terms of my character, I'm a thoughtful, serious and determined individual who is always looking for the next thing to learn, the next skill to master. As you'd expect from somebody who has worked closely with some of the largest and most demanding institutional investors in the world, I'm scrupulously polite, professional and reliable.
In terms of my background, I'm a citizen of the United Kingdom, married to a Japanese national and father to two small children. I relocated to the United Kingdom with my wife and sons in 2013 in order to be closer to the rest of my family.
Keywords: REIT, J-REIT, gasoline engines, diesel engines, real estate investment trust, electric vehicles, hybrid electric vehicles, plug-in hybrid vehicles, PHEV, powertrains, fuel cells, hydrogen fuel, finance, financial reports, electronics, engineering, mechanics, industrial, semiconductors, JREIT, automotive, patents, LTE, 4G, 3G, base station, cellular, machinery, investor relations, analyst, Japan REIT, Japanese English electronics translation, Japanese report translation, Japanese financial report translation, translating Japanese report, translating Japanese electronics, translation Japanese automotive, CSR, CI, corporate identity documents, 日英翻訳, 金融, ネイティブの英語, 自動車, 電子電機, 和英翻訳, ガソリンエンジン, ディーゼルエンジン, プラグインハイブリッド, 電気自動車, 機械, ネイティブな英語, 自動車部品, 水素, 燃料電池, 専門知識, ＩＲ関係, 証券, 決算短信, くるま, 有価証券, 証券アナリスト, ソフト開発, ネイティブスピーカー, ソフトウェア開発, 英語翻訳, 工作機械, 自動機器, ネイティブ翻訳者, 特許, Jリート, J-リート
104 visits in the last month,
from a total of 67 visitors This profile has received
Profile last updated