(Last update: 25 September 2014.)
Latest achievements (all in 2014):
- SNCF railcards documentation (12,000 words, August 2014).
- EDF equipment qualification documents (13,472 words, completed 2 July 2014).
- English version of Briottet website
(a cassis, liqueurs and spirits manufacturer in Dijon).
- 36,000 words on a biomethanation project (for a city in France).
- 10,500 words on equipment testing instructions (on a crane).
- English version of Scripto Sensu's website
(a translation agency)
- Update of English version of FX4Biz's website
(a foreign exchange and foreign currency payment and receipt platform)
Latest customer testimonial (30/01/2014):
"...j’ai relu environ 90% de votre traduction et cela me parait parfait". ("I have re-read about 90% of your translation and it looks perfect to me")
Project: approx. 12,000 words, a website in the field of liqueurs (please also see link above).
Credentials verifiable on this website:
- 14 WWA rating (feedback from clients and colleagues on Willingness to Work Again, see above right).
- 100% positive project feedback (see details of large projects completed, below right).
- 1,926 KudoZ points earned on ProZ.com (see right; earned by helping other translators with terms).
May 2013: pre-selected as a translator for Translators Without Borders, which operates on the same principles as Doctors Without Borders.
(Download my CV in English and/or in French - click on the links in red text the "CV / Resume" section just above: "English (DOC)" and "French (DOC)")
(Téléchargez mon CV an français et/ou en anglais : cliquez sur les liens en texte rouge dans la rubrique "CV / Resume" juste ci-dessus : "English (DOC)" et "French (DOC)")
My most recent major achievement was translating 60,000 words on PMU Luxembourg (the State horseracing betting monopoly), using Trados Studio 2011, in 2012.
14 positive "Willingness to Work Again" entries here on ProZ. See above, top right, near gold star graphic.
See also my KudoZ points record (earned by answering difficult translation questions on this website) in the side-bar on the right.
PAGE DOWN TO:
1) IN BRIEF
2) CLIENT TESTIMONIALS
3) SPECIALIST SUBJECT AREAS
5) CURRENT CLIENTS
7) SWORN TRANSLATION / GBP£3M WINE ESTATE DEAL
1) IN BRIEF:
I am a very competent all-round translator with excellent resources and extensive general knowledge, a high IQ, and research skills and so I will take on most texts that are not overly technical. I am an active learner. My main specialist subject area is legal.
I have translated approximately 320,000 words per year over the past seven years or so.
Diverse cultural mix:
I was brought up in Ireland (by English parents) where I studied Irish as well as English, I then studied French in Haute Loire in France, from the age of 16, on an English-French bilingual International Baccalaureate programme, and I went to university (studying English Language and Literature and UK and US History) in Scotland.
I studied translation at night school at the Dublin Institute of Technology, leading to a business translation qualification from the Institute of Linguists, London
I am now 38 years of age (year of birth: 1974).
2) CLIENT TESTIMONIALS:
"All in all a great job. I really like your rich vocabulary and your way of putting things".
- Björn Houben, Freelance Translator, Ghent, Belgium (previously known as Global Communication NV).
"Thank you very much for your translations, fast work and your cooperation".
- Michaela Michailova, Project Account Manager, Applied Language Solutions, Greater Manchester, UK. (Winner of HSBC Start-Up Star Award 2006.)
"Merci pour cet excellent travail, vos traductions sont parfaites et c’est pour nous un gain de temps important car il n’y a pas de correction nécessaire."
("Thanks for the excellent job, your translations were perfect and that means that we will save a lot of time because we won't have to make any corrections.")
- Fabrice Bénichou, CEO of Imhotep Création, 38780 Pont-Evêque, France.
3) SPECIALIST SUBJECT AREAS:
- Legal (contracts, summonses, court submissions, court rulings, comparative law, litigation etc.);
- Finance (annual reports, Balance Sheets, P&L Sheets, general accounts, etc.);
- Marketing / Market Research;
- Food & Drinks Industry;
- Real estate (sales, leases, surveys, etc.);
€0.06 - €0.11 per word / approx. GBP£51-GBP£94 per 1,000 words.
(Currency conversion from XE.com, as of 06/Dec./2011.)
5) EXAMPLES OF CLIENTS:
- More Than Just Words, translation agency, offices in Germany and Portugal
- The WordRight Shop, translation agency, offices in Paris and in Nimes, France
- Imhotep Création (Pont-Evêque, France) (mechatronics solutions -- visit their website
), since 2007.
Also many direct (various sectors) and translation agency clients, worldwide.
6) RESOURCES: - Dictionaries: Legal:
Dictionnaire de l’Anglais Juridique (Business Management Series), The Council of Europe French-English Legal Dictionary (F.H.S. Bridge), Dahl's Law Dictonary (Henry Saint Dahl).
Le Robert & Collins du Management, Glossaire Comptable et Financier (Elizabeth Zgradic-Zirnhelt), Lexique Bilingue Comptabilité Finance (Langues Pour Tous series), Dictionnaire de L’Economie, de la Finance et de la Comptabilité (Marie-Claude Esposito).
Routledge Technical Dictionary.
Dictionary of Human Resources (Editions Liaisons).
: Dictionnaire Bilingue de l’Informatique (French Computing Dictionary) (Maxima).
Lexivin (Paul Cadiaux).
The Oxford English Dictionary (English-English), Le Robert (French-French).
- Other resources: - Online resources: ProZ.com term searches
, Le Grand Dictionnaire Terminologique (Canada)
, InterActive Terminology for Europe / IATE
, specialised glossaries e.g. Vernimmen's financial glossary
, Google searches, "Canada searches" etc.
- Personal resources:
personal database (Excel) and glossaries found on the internet and saved.
- Human resources:
my partner (an English-French freelance translator and interpreter), my contacts in business, finance and industry in Ireland, France, the UK and elsewhere.
7) Sworn translation / GBP£3m wine estate deal:
In 2006 I worked as a sworn translator and interpreter (traducteur et interprète assermenté) attached to the Cour d'Appel (the Court of Appeal) in Dijon, Burgundy, France.
I no longer offer sworn translation.
GBP£3m wine estate deal:
In November 2006 I was involved as an interpreter in a GBP£3m wine estate deal:
"Domaine's the game for Rangers chief Murray as he pours £3m into vineyard in Burgundy
William Lyons - Wine Correspondent
David Murray, the chairman of Rangers Football Club, has dramatically upgraded his wine business with the acquisition of a prestigious vineyard in France's Burgundy region.
The 54-year-old has splashed out more than £3m for Domaine Jessiaume, a vineyard in the village of Santenay at the foot of the prestigious Côte de Beaune wine region in Burgundy."
Link to full article in The Scotsman newspaper: "Domaines the game for Rangers chief Murray as he pours £3m into vineyard in Burgundy
All rights reserved © 2011 Johnston Publishing Ltd.
I won't let you down: on-time, high-quality translation and excellent service guaranteed.