(Last update: 14 May 2015.)
Latest major achievements (in 2014 and in 2015):
- Legal: 2,000 words, a dispute regarding an inheritance (in relation to an invalid re-marriage).
- 11,000 words in the tourism sector -- 1,000 years of the military history of a town.
- 7,000 words in the tourism sector -- an audio guide for a museum.
- Business plan and financial documents for a project to obtain a very large sum of venture capital. 4,000 words, Word and Excel.
- Street furniture, 4,000 words.
- Legal: two court rulings regarding trade mark infringement, 5,500 words.
- Legal: service provision agreement and miscellaneous legal material, 7,800 words.
- Legal: supplier annual agreement, 3,000 words.
- Legal/IT: agreement regarding the provision of account statements over the internet, 6,600 words.
- Legal/sport: appeal before the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), 5,000 words.
- Wine: website of a large wine estate in Burgundy, France, approx. 3,000 words.
- Environment: work for the EU, 6,000 words, January 2015.
- Legal: 9,400 words, December 2014.
- Tourism documentation, 15,000 words (completed October 2014).
- Art book: 40,000 words (completed October 2014).
- Rail travel discount cards documentation (12,000 words, August 2014).
- EDF equipment qualification documents (13,472 words, completed 2 July 2014).
- English version of Briottet website
(a cassis, liqueurs and spirits manufacturer in Dijon).
- 36,000 words on a biomethanation project (for a city in France).
- 10,500 words on equipment testing instructions (on a crane).
- English version of Scripto Sensu's website
(a translation agency)
- Update of English version of FX4Biz's website
(a foreign exchange and foreign currency payment and receipt platform)
"J'ai pris beaucoup de plaisir à relire votre traduction, elle était très fluide et agréable à lire" (I really enjoyed re-reading your translation, it flowed and was pleasant to read" (January 2015, regarding my translation of a large Burgundy wine estate's website (see above).
"...j’ai relu environ 90% de votre traduction et cela me parait parfait". ("I have re-read about 90% of your translation and it looks perfect to me")
Project: approx. 12,000 words, a website in the field of liqueurs (please also see link above). (2014)
(See below for further client testimonials.)
Credentials verifiable on this website:
- 14 WWA rating (feedback from clients and colleagues on Willingness to Work Again, see above right).
- 100% positive project feedback (see details of large projects completed, below right).
- 1,926 KudoZ points earned on ProZ.com (see right; earned by helping other translators with terms).
May 2013: pre-selected as a translator for Translators Without Borders, which operates on the same principles as Doctors Without Borders.
(Download my CV in English and/or in French - click on the links in red text the "CV / Resume" section just above: "English (DOC)" and "French (DOC)")
(Téléchargez mon CV an français et/ou en anglais : cliquez sur les liens en texte rouge dans la rubrique "CV / Resume" juste ci-dessus : "English (DOC)" et "French (DOC)")
My most recent major achievements include a 40,000 art book (painting) and 60,000 words on PMU Luxembourg (the State horseracing betting monopoly), the second using Trados Studio 2011, in 2012.
14 positive "Willingness to Work Again" entries here on ProZ. See above, top right, near gold star graphic.
See also my KudoZ points record (earned by answering difficult translation questions on this website) in the side-bar on the right.
PAGE DOWN TO:
1) IN BRIEF
2) CLIENT TESTIMONIALS
3) SPECIALIST SUBJECT AREAS
5) CURRENT CLIENTS
7) SWORN TRANSLATION / GBP£3M WINE ESTATE DEAL
1) IN BRIEF:
I am a very competent all-round translator with excellent resources and extensive general knowledge, a high IQ, and research skills (both online and offline) and so I will take on most texts that are not overly technical. I am an active learner. My main specialist subject area is legal.
I have translated approximately 320,000 words per year over the past eight years or so.
Diverse cultural mix:
I was brought up in Ireland (by English parents) where I studied Irish as well as English, I then studied French in the Haute Loire department in France, from the age of 16, on an English-French bilingual International Baccalaureate programme, and then I went to university (studying English Language and Literature and UK and US History) in Scotland.
I studied translation at night school (while concurrently working 40-hour weeks) at the Dublin Institute of Technology, leading to a business translation qualification from the Institute of Linguists, London
I am now 40 years of age (year of birth: 1974).
2) CLIENT TESTIMONIALS:
"All in all a great job. I really like your rich vocabulary and your way of putting things".
- Björn Houben, Freelance Translator, Ghent, Belgium (previously known as Global Communication NV).
"Thank you very much for your translations, fast work and your cooperation".
- Michaela Michailova, Project Account Manager, Applied Language Solutions, Greater Manchester, UK. (Winner of HSBC Start-Up Star Award 2006.)
"Merci pour cet excellent travail, vos traductions sont parfaites et c’est pour nous un gain de temps important car il n’y a pas de correction nécessaire."
("Thanks for the excellent job, your translations were perfect and that means that we will save a lot of time because we won't have to make any corrections.")
- Fabrice Bénichou, CEO of Imhotep Création, 38780 Pont-Evêque, France.
3) SPECIALIST SUBJECT AREAS:
- Legal (contracts, summonses, court submissions, court rulings, comparative law, litigation etc.);
- Finance (annual reports, Balance Sheets, P&L Sheets, general accounts, etc.);
- Marketing / Market Research;
- Food & Drinks Industry;
- Real estate (sales, leases, surveys, etc.);
€0.06 - €0.11 per word / approx. GBP£51-GBP£94 per 1,000 words.
(Currency conversion from XE.com, as of 06/Dec./2011.)
5) EXAMPLES OF CLIENTS:
- More Than Just Words, translation agency, offices in Germany and Portugal
- The WordRight Shop, translation agency, offices in Paris and in Nimes, France
- Imhotep Création (Pont-Evêque, France) (mechatronics solutions -- visit their website
), since 2007.
Also many direct (various sectors) and translation agency clients, worldwide.
6) RESOURCES: - Dictionaries: Legal:
Dictionnaire de l’Anglais Juridique (Business Management Series), The Council of Europe French-English Legal Dictionary (F.H.S. Bridge), Dahl's Law Dictonary (Henry Saint Dahl).
Le Robert & Collins du Management, Glossaire Comptable et Financier (Elizabeth Zgradic-Zirnhelt), Lexique Bilingue Comptabilité Finance (Langues Pour Tous series), Dictionnaire de L’Economie, de la Finance et de la Comptabilité (Marie-Claude Esposito).
Routledge Technical Dictionary.
Dictionary of Human Resources (Editions Liaisons).
: Dictionnaire Bilingue de l’Informatique (French Computing Dictionary) (Maxima).
Lexivin (Paul Cadiaux).
The Oxford English Dictionary (English-English), Le Robert (French-French).
- Other resources: - Online resources: ProZ.com term searches
, Le Grand Dictionnaire Terminologique (Canada)
, InterActive Terminology for Europe / IATE
, specialised glossaries e.g. Vernimmen's financial glossary
, Google searches, "Canada searches" etc.
- Personal resources:
personal database (Excel) and glossaries found on the internet and saved.
- Human resources:
my partner (an English-French freelance translator and interpreter), my contacts in business, finance and industry in Ireland, France, the UK and elsewhere.
7) Sworn translation / GBP£3m wine estate deal:
In 2006 I worked as a sworn translator and interpreter (traducteur et interprète assermenté) attached to the Cour d'Appel (the Court of Appeal) in Dijon, Burgundy, France.
I no longer offer sworn translation.
GBP£3m wine estate deal:
In November 2006 I was involved as an interpreter in a GBP£3m wine estate deal:
"Domaine's the game for Rangers chief Murray as he pours £3m into vineyard in Burgundy
William Lyons - Wine Correspondent
David Murray, the chairman of Rangers Football Club, has dramatically upgraded his wine business with the acquisition of a prestigious vineyard in France's Burgundy region.
The 54-year-old has splashed out more than £3m for Domaine Jessiaume, a vineyard in the village of Santenay at the foot of the prestigious Côte de Beaune wine region in Burgundy."
Link to full article in The Scotsman newspaper: "Domaines the game for Rangers chief Murray as he pours £3m into vineyard in Burgundy
All rights reserved © 2011 Johnston Publishing Ltd.
I won't let you down: on-time, high-quality translation and excellent service guaranteed.