Member since Sep '03
Arabic to English
English to Arabic
French to English
| Jacques Saleh |
Law/Investments/Finance (PhD & MBA)
Local time: 19:12 EDT (GMT-4)
| || |
| Freelancer, Verified member |
|Blue Board: Transwords Corp. |
|Translation, Interpreting, Editing/proofreading, Voiceover (dubbing), Subtitling|
|Accounting||Military / Defense|
|Law: Contract(s)||Investment / Securities|
|Business/Commerce (general)||Science (general)|
|Also works in:|
|Education / Pedagogy||Philosophy|
| PRO-level points: 411, Questions answered: 559, Questions asked: 233 |
| 3 entries |
| Jacques Saleh, PhD |
|Years of translation experience: 18. Registered at ProZ.com: Sep 2003. Became a member: Sep 2003.|
|Arabic to English (American Translators Association, verified)|
|Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, SDL TRADOS, SDLX|
- PhD (Philosophy; Focus: Political and Ethical Theories)
- MBA (Focus: Finance, Economics)
- BS (Business Administration: Major: Marketing, Minor: Psychology)
- BA (Philosophy).
E-mail contact: email@example.com
* TRANSLATION LANGUAGES:
- Arabic<>English; French-to-English;
- Native fluency in English and Arabic.
* INTERPRETING: Arabic<>English; French<>English.
1. Arabic-to-English Translation (American Translators Association);
2. US Department of Justice (FBI);
3. Received top scores on government-sponsored ILR’s Arabic-to-English native proficiency oral and written tests.
* AREAS OF EXPERIENCE: Law, Contracts, Business, Finance, Investments, Accounting, Economics, Politics, Religion, Military.
* TRANSLATION EXPERIENCE (Long-Term Translation Clients and Projects Since 1991):
1. IMF (International Monetary Fund): Translated thousands of pages of Arabic financial, economic and legal documents from different Middle Eastern countries (AR-to-EN; 2001-Present).
2. UNITED NATIONS: In-house Arabic/French-to-English contract translator (9/2002 to 12/2002); provided French<>English simultaneous interpreting services (2002-2008).
3. UNDP (United Nations Development Program): Translation of English documents dealing with economic development, human rights and international law (EN-to-AR; 2012-Present).
4. NEW YORK UNIVERSITY (Translation Professor and Language Proficiency Tester): Taught AR-to-EN legal translation online with focus on business; selected and graded entrance exams for the NYU Arabic-to-English translation program (2004-2010).
5. US DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE: Lead translator of hundreds of documents and tapes dealing with legal, financial, political, terrorism, technical, military, and religious issues (AR<>EN; 2004-2008).
6. US DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE PROJECT: Translated hundreds of pages of DOJ materials dealing with terrorism and legal issues for New York law firm (AR-to-EN; 2000-2001).
7. TV NETWORKS (CBS, CNN, Fox News, NBC, PBS): Several months-long translation/interpreting assignments involving Arabic and French TV live and taped broadcasts (2001-2011).
8. LAW FIRMS:
(a) Shearman & Sterling: Translation of hundreds of pages of legal and financial documents dealing with companies’ articles of association and bylaws, the oil industry, civil lawsuits, financial reports, and other legal and financial matters (AR<>EN; 2003-Present).
(b) Cravath, Swaine and Moore: Translated thousands of French financial, legal and telecom documents (FR-to-EN); helped create FR-to-EN accounting and finance glossary (1998-2008).
(c) Jones, Day: Lead financial and legal interpreter and translator in a class action lawsuit involving more than 100 plaintiffs from the Middle East (AR/FR<>EN; 1998-2002).
(d) Jenner & Block: Translated hundreds of Arabic documents dealing with Iraq’s oil industry (AR>EN, 2008).
9. HUMAN RIGHTS WATCH: Translated the Arabic court ruling (over 300 pages) in the trial of Saddam Hussein and other Iraqi leaders (AR-to-EN; 2006-2007).
10. INTERNATIONAL CENTER FOR TRANSITIONAL JUSTICE: Translation of human rights documents (AR<>EN).
11. The HUNGER PROJECT: Translated financial reports on African economic and social development issues (FR-to-EN).
12. OPEN SOCIETY FOUNDATION (JUSTICE INITIATIVE): Translation of economic, legal, human rights and political documents (AR<>EN; FR-to-EN 2006-Present).
13. FRANCE TELECOM TRANSLATION PROJECT: Translated into English hundreds of pages of French financial, legal and technical documents in a 3-month assignment for a translation agency (1995).
14. ALCOA AND PECHINEY ALUMINUM TRANSLATION PROJECT: Translated French business and technical documents in a month-long assignment for a translation agency (1997);
15. INTERNATIONAL CHAMBER OF COMMERCE (ICC): As an in-house translator and office manager, summarized and translated ICC financial, legal and economic documents for distribution to senior business managers in Lebanon (Arabic<>English; French-to-English; 1991-1993).
16. TRANSLATION AGENCIES: Translated hundreds of legal, financial, economic, technical, political and religious documents for many translation agencies in the US and overseas (AR<>EN; FR-to-EN; 1995-Present).
- Prepared income statements and financial reports for securities, derivatives and foreign exchange trading desks at NY-based banks (1979-1991).
PROFESSOR OF BUSINESS, HUMANITIES AND LIBERAL ARTS:
- Baruch College, NY (1999-2003): Taught philosophy, focusing on political and ethical theories.
- Notre Dame University, University St Joseph, Lebanese-American University (Lebanon, 1991-1994): Taught Business English, International Marketing, Psychology, History of Philosophical and Political Ideas.
Keywords: Business, Stock Market, Finance, Investments, Accounting, Economics, Marketing, Corporate Law, Contract Law, Criminal Law, Patents, Telecommunications, Computers, Internet.
Profile last updated