Professional translator and interpreter, based in Glasgow. Working in language pair Polish and English, I provide high quality translation and interpreting services for individual and commercial Clients all over the UK. My main strengths are excellent academic background, wide-ranging experience, ability to work under pressure, precision and unfailing enthusiasm for new challenges.
I hold a wide range of linguistic qualifications. These include:
- MA (Distinction) in Applied Translation Studies, awarded by the University of East Anglia
- Diploma in Public Service Interpreting (Scottish Law), awarded by the Chartered Institute of Linguists
- Certificate of Proficiency in English (grade A), awarded by the University of Cambridge
I am a full Member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists.
Moreover, I hold a Master's degree in Sociology, gained shortly before relocating to Scotland in 2006. I often draw on this knowledge in my interpreting work, in order to appreciate the complexity and diversity of social situations. This degree also makes me particularly suitable for translating certain kinds of texts, such as those related to social research, social work, community, counselling, human resources, public relations and marketing.
My existing translation experience covers such areas and documents as:
- Accounting & Finance / Tax (Revenue Office certificates, bank statements, academic syllabi, sample exam papers, coverage matrices, P60s)
- Certificates (birth certificates, baptism certificates, marriage certificates, death certificates, driving licenses, driving test certificates, identity cards, Registry Office certificates)
- Education / Pedagogy (Care Inspectorate reports, diplomas, diplomas in a professional field, degree transcripts and certificates, dissertation abstracts, school and training certificates, maturity certificates, final medical exam certificates, student learning agreements, college and university applications, regulations for studies at university, programmes of studies)
- Employment / Human Resources (CVs, internship certificates, payslips, professional training evaluations, references, employment contracts)
- Insurance (insurance policies, insurance claim records)
- Internet, e-Commerce (websites, website regulations)
- Law / Contracts (tenancy agreements, call for payment letters, court verdicts, legal intimations, citations, notarial deeds, powers of attorney, change of name deeds, statutory declarations, national criminal registry and remand centre certificates, witness statements, health and safety statements)
- Medical (diagnostic tests results, medical opinions, psychological assessments, MRI scan results, disability certificates, hospital referrals, hospital discharge letters, prescriptions, NHS brochures)
- Other (TV interviews, questionnaires, journal articles, personal correspondence)
- Social Science, Sociology, Social Work (social background reports, Children’s Reporter brochures, minutes from Child Protection case conferences)
- Tourism & Travel (museum and city guides, posters)
I also have a vast experience in translating business, legal and other official correspondence. For example, letters from housing associations, city councils, social work departments, hospitals, schools, legal affairs bureaux, HMRC, COPFS, Department for Work and Pensions and employers regarding such issues as: benefits, tax credits, housing, rent arrears, national insurance, financial advice, etc.
As an interpreter, I have worked with such institutions as:
- Scottish Court Service (High Court of Judiciary, Sheriff Court, District Court, Justice of the Peace Court)
- Tribunals Service (Employment Tribunal, Social Security and Child Support Tribunal, Asylum and Immigration Tribunal)
- Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service
- Immigration Appellate Authority
- Home Office & UK Border Agency
- National Probation Service & Prison Service
- Social Work (incl. a long-term cooperation with South Ayrshire Council on a complex Child Protection case)
- NHS & Atos Healthcare (incl. resource centres and private health clinics)
- Health and Safety Executive (assistance during HSE investigations across Scotland)
- Police (Strathclyde Police, Norfolk Constabulary)
- BBC Scotland (including filming of a BBC production "Colours of Poland")
- Polish Information and Foreign Investment Agency (study visit and seminar for Polish local government representatives in Scotland)
- The Scottish Salmon Company (including health and safety training sessions)
- city councils, county councils & schools
- housing associations, solicitors & law firms
I also had the pleasure to deliver the following transcription projects:
- BBC Scotland - transcription of interviews with Polish respondents taken during filming of the "Colours of Poland" programme
- University of Strathclyde - transcription of interviews with Polish business owners based in Scotland
I use state-of-the-art translation software (SDL Trados Studio 2011) and I am well-versed in all relevant Microsoft applications.
Leave your documents with me and you may rest assured the project will be treated with due care and attention and delivered on time.