XTM delivers a complete range of tools for the translator, reviewer and project manager via the web.
It is a fully featured TMS, Providing a complete Translation Workflow solution including a CAT tool Module on a single, unified platform.
All common file types are supported.
We have created a diagram that shows the data flow and processes within XTM.
There are two licensing models for XTM; XTM Cloud and XTM Suite.
Software as a service (subscription)
Mac OS X 10.4 and higher, Linux, Windows 8, Windows 2000, Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and higher, Mac OS 7, 8, 9, OSX 10.3.4 and higher , Mac OS X 10.6 and higher, Windows XP, Windows 95, 98, ME, NT & 2000, Windows Vista
Cloud based SaaS requires an internet connection and web browser
Support & upgrades
Support and upgrades offered/included
Free upgrades for duration of license/Subscription
Excellent tool for collaborative translation and not only
Adrian Hołojuch . I have been using XTM for 2 years now both as a translator and as a project manager. In this review however I am going to focus mostly on my translation experience and I will share with you some of the advantages of XTM Cloud that made me stick with the tool and not with any other:
1. Cloud solution:
- I do not have to worry about back-ups.
- The tool allows for mobility – my PC is no longer the only device I can work on, therefore I do not have to drag it with me everywhere I go.
- Any technical issues that may occur are solved by XTM team on their side, and I do not have to do any engineering work on my PC.
- Any updates are available right away and I do not have to install anything. On top of that I know that the other translators with whom I work have the same version of the tool and I do not have to worry about compatibility issues.
- I do not have to have a powerful PC to run XTM Cloud. Any calculations and other processes are on the server side.
2. Great support – usually they respond within ten minutes or so and not like some other tool vendors who made me wait even a couple of days and eventually I had to solve an issue on my own.
3. Simplicity – when I started using the tool more or less 2 years ago I was able to work comfortably within a couple of hours, and I did not feel overwhelmed with a huge amount of features that I did not need which is often the case with some other tools. However, I do agree that this simplicity came with the cost of not having some useful features. Fortunately enough, I have already seen many of these being implemented into the tool within those past 2 years and having this experience in mind I expect even more to come. I agree that the tool is not perfect but at the same time I am amazed with the speed of implementing new features into it by XTM team. Seeing where the development efforts are heading to I gladly pay for the tool in order to support XTM team.
4. The tool heavily relies on the industry standards (TMX, TBX, etc.) and therefore I do not have to worry about compatibility with other tools.
5. Since most of the time I use it to collaborate with other translators I really appreciate real-time features and sharing the same resources because it makes the whole process smooth and greatly enhances our teamwork.
6. I also really appreciate the scalability of costs for which SaaS model allows. I do not have to pay a significant amount of money for a tool upfront. Instead, I can adjust its cost depending on my demand within a given period of time. It also means that the money not spent on the tool still works for me until the next monthly payment.
I hope you will find my review helpful.
15 out of 15 found this review helpful.
4 out of 5
How easy is it to learn?
Very useful and user-friendly online CAT tool
Jerzy Jeczalik . I have been using XTM Cloud Since 2010 and I am very happy with it. The tool is very cost-effective due to low monthly payments and the interface is easy to use and intuitive to learn. If I do need any additional help, I find the XTM support team to be very attentive and helpful. All common file formats are supported and even some of the more difficult formats such as InDesign are processed without any issues. XTM allows me to focus on translation rather that the technical aspects of software maintenance and file engineering, I would recommend it to all of my colleagues and peers.
6 out of 7 found this review helpful.
5 out of 5
How easy is it to learn?
XTM is a fantastic tool! I highly recommend!
C. Mouton . As a professional translator with almost 20 years' experience, even though I'm new to XTM and cloudbased translation technology, working with XTM's system is a real pleasure.
XTM is so simple to work with, even with little or no experienced with translation memory. All the primary functionality essential to a translator: glossary, translation guide, memory, reference material, context, is readily available and easily accesssible.
Add to this the flexibility of an extremely affordable and powerful SaaS solution: it is a realy pleasure to work with XTM.
Oh, yes... and their support is soooooooooo helpful, second to none.
4 out of 4 found this review helpful.
4 out of 5
How easy is it to learn?
Great tool! I really enjoy working with/on XTM Cloud.
Fernanda Rocha . XTM is the official CAT tool of some of my clients and I have been using it for almost 2 years now.
As I said before, I really enjoy working with/on XTM Cloud. It’s a very straightforward tool, easy to use and that facilitates the entire process to both the language professional and the project manager. The interface is pretty clean, the system messages are clear and direct and the translator/editor does not need to import/export TMs and files.
The only “issue” for me is the fact that it is an online tool. In my opinion, this has a positive and negative side (like most things in life, right?): positive because everything is instantly updated to the system when you are working on it and you do not need to be using a specific computer to do that, but negative because you cannot work if you have some kind of connection problem or if you are on the road without internet access.
In sum, congratulations to the XTM team. Keep up with the great work, guys!
I guess working on a Cloud-based tool has its pros and cons and it always depends on one's personal setup.
Yes, you can use it from any computer, definitely a pro. BUT you need the Internet at all times or you lose the project. Definitely a con. When you work in an area with a shaky Internet connection, e.g. while traveling (which I do a lot), bad news.
The tool is easy to learn and, like most tools these days, side by side. Personally, I have always preferred the original Trados Workbench view (source on top of the target, not side by side), a reason why I never really made friends with SDL Studio and most other tools these days, I just find the side-by-side view less clear and too overwhelming.
What I do miss is a proper analysis functionality. Running an analysis regularly helps me evaluate my progress and managing my time. XTM tells me my progress by giving me an overall percentage of my progress, but I cannot run a detailed analysis to see the change in fuzzies, reps, etc. as a result of my work. To me that's a huge con.
Also, it would be very helpful to see a segment's location/formatting in the text, e.g. whether it is a headline, a chapter title, text, table content, etc. The time spent on switching back and forth between the original document and XTM does add up.