i11-Intro to Phone & Video Interpreting
In 90 minutes, open your world to a new profession as a telephone interpreter. The market is estimated at 600 million in the US plus 400 million in the rest of the world. If you speak two (or more) languages FLUENTLY, you may become a teleinterpreter.
Attendees will understand what over-the-phone-interpreting (OPI) entails, as well as the skills and tools needed to develop an edge in this new profession. It is quickly replacing on-site interpreting to assist communication between doctors and patients, call centers and consumers, credit card companies and their users, insurance companies and claimants, investors and foreign partners, individuals in global social networks, and many others, including the public and government agencies - even the courts system.
Fully bilingual individuals
This course is the first step in understanding what telephone interpreting is, how it works, what the requirements are, and what may be expected of it as a source of income. It is designed for individuals who are new to the concept of teleinterpreting or agencies thinking of a new line of business. At the end of this course, attendees will be able to decide if telephone interpreting is something they would like to pursue and, if so, the next steps to prepare for this new challenge.
Fully bilingual (in any two language pair).
What is Over-the-phone interpreting (OPI)?
How are calls routed?
What is remote video interpreting (RVI)
How are videocalls routed?
Work at home requirements
Role of the OPI and RVI
Code of Ethics
Standards of Practice
Subjects to Interpret
Tools - Readiness Test
Tools - Qualifications Test
Tools - Self-assessment tool
Tools of the Trade
The Ideal Candidate
RESOURCES AND TOOLS
Virtual platform system requirements
Click to expand
Virtual platform system requirements
For PC-based Users:
• Required: Windows® 8, 7, Vista, XP, 2003 Server or 2000 (Linux is not supported)
• Internet Connection Required: Cable modem, DSL, or better recommended
• Recommended: Minimum of Pentium® class 1GHz CPU with 512 MB of RAM (2 GB of RAM for Windows Vista)
For Mac®-based Users:
• Required: Mac OS® X 10.4 (Tiger®), OS X 10.5 (Leopard®), OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard®)
• Internet Connection Required: Cable modem, DSL or better recommended
• Required: PowerPC G4/G5 or Intel processor, 512 MB of RAM or better
To Use VoIP (microphone and speakers or headset):
• Required: Fast Internet connection (384 kbps or more recommended)
• Required: speakers or headset (USB headset recommended)
• NOT required: Microphone - attendees can communicate with the trainer through incorporated chat.
• For the visual section of the training course, we recommend that you have a 64kbps link. This means using an ISDN line or Broadband. Wireless connection is NOT recommended.
• For the audio section of the training course, we recommend that you have a headset or speakers.
• We recommend that you log in 30 minutes in advance of the start time to prepare for the training course.
Courses will be open half an hour before the start time. Please login before the start time to ensure that everything on your system is working correctly.
Registration and access information
Click to expand
Click on the buy button on the right to purchase your seat
Participation fee includes:
• access to webinar session.
• unlimited access to the webinar recording.
• powerpoint slides to remind participants of the key points and lessons learned.
• certificates of attendance.
How do I purchase my spot?
To purchase your seat at this session please click on the "buy" button. Available slots are limited and will be assigned to registered and paid participants as soon as payment is reported. Early payment is advised in order to secure participation. Allow some time for payment processing if you are paying by wire transfer.
After your payment is received, your status will be changed to “registered and paid” and your spot for the session will be secured. An invoice and receipt of payment will be sent to you for your records.
How do I access the online platform?
72 hours before the webinar takes place, you will receive an invitation to join the session. Please, click the registration link or button provided in the invitation email and complete the registration form.
Claudia Brauer View feedback | View all courses
|Bio: Claudia became a trainer of translators and interpreters in 2011, after 35 years of experience as a translator and interpreter. She is also a speaker, writer and blogger on topics related to the current state of the translation and interpreting industry.|
She has designed and delivered more than 200 hours of proprietary content and uses her wikis to freely disseminated some 25 copyrighted tools designed to help translators and interpreters in the 21st century virtual village.
The vision of BrauerTraining is to educate translators and interpreters, so they may become great quality professionals with a high code of ethics, embracing technology to remain competitive in today's world.
Claudia can be found on the web at http://brauertraining.com and on Twitter as @Brauer21Century.
Comments about this course
Do you have any questions about ProZ.com training?