English to Hungarian
French to Hungarian
Hungarian to English
| Attila Piróth |
PhD, ATA-certified En-Hu, sci-tech-IT
Local time: 07:59 CET (GMT+1)
| || |
Translations that can change people's lives
Project management on a voluntary basis with the double aim of:
– Providing linguistic aid to a French humanitarian NGO, Solidarités;
– Creating a networking environment for voluntary translators where career (re)starters can work with experienced colleagues and learn new skills.
Team: The Solidarités team of ProZ.com (about 60 members). See reference to our team on Solidarités' website.
Language pairs: French-English, English-French
- [Fr>En]: Solidarités' internal documents, concerned mainly with the security of on-site staff in Darfur, 22,000 words (See some more details and feedback from colleagues in my Project History).
- [En>Fr]: USAID's Guidelines for Unsolicited Proposals and Reporting, 48,000 words. See the French translation here.
- [Fr>En]: Solidarités' report on their mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, 30,000 words.
- [En>Fr]: Training program for Solidarités' partners, 9,000 words.
- [En>Fr]: DFID application guides, funding contracts and other administrative documents, 25,000 words.
- [Fr>En]: Internal documents for on-site staff: guides on self-sufficient electrical and technology solutions. Substantive editing of source material by team before and during translation. 28,000 words.
- [Fr>En]: Solidarités' report on their mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, 8,000 words.
- [Fr>En]: Solidarités' press kit for the 5th World Water Forum. Printed in 4,500 copies; brochure available here.
- [Fr>En]: Internal documents on Solidarités' reporting framework. 31,000 words.
- [Fr>En]: Solidarités' toolkit for on-site staff. 33,500 words.
- [Fr>En]: Material for Solidarités' web site and intranet. 47,000 words. (Part of the 1st internship program)
- [Fr>En]: Solidarités' annual report. 10,300 words. (Part of the 1st internship program.) Brochure available here.
- [Fr>En]: Material for Solidarités' web site and intranet. 84,000 words. (Underway; part of the 1st internship program)
You are welcome to download and share freely our French to English and English to French glossaries.
Our plans to expand the framework were first presented at the ProZ.com regional conference in Aix-en-Provence in November 2007. Click here to download the ppt file of the talk.
An update was presented at ProZ.com's 6th international conference in Ohrid in July 2009, with specific details of the internship program planned for the fall of 2009. Click here to download the ppt file of the talk.
The first internship program was held in September 2009 with the participation of Daniel Weston and William McNab.
A second internship program was held in 2010 with the participation of Emma-Jane Crozier, Phoebe Green, Joanna Oseman, and Debbi Steele.
Over a period of about 4 months, interns participated in regular webinar trainings, translated over 15,000 words in diverse fields, received feedback on their work from over a dozen established translators, participated in terminology, translation memory and project management, and benefited from a wide range of networking opportunities.
You can watch a 50-minute video on my views on pro bono work, crowdsourced "community translations", and learn more about the approach of the Solidarités' team here: Pro bono work – dos and don'ts.