Alexandra Scott
Alexandra Scott  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:08
Member (2006)
Italian to English
+ ...
Nov 27, 2008

I attended a webinar this morning on across and am eager to get started.

I exported two TM databases from DVX and tried to import them into across, however the source and target languages were switched. Instead of having Italian as the source language and English as the target language, the database once imported into across has the source and target languages reversed.

I went carefully through the DVX export process but there is no step indicating language order, and
... See more
I attended a webinar this morning on across and am eager to get started.

I exported two TM databases from DVX and tried to import them into across, however the source and target languages were switched. Instead of having Italian as the source language and English as the target language, the database once imported into across has the source and target languages reversed.

I went carefully through the DVX export process but there is no step indicating language order, and I did not see it in the across import process either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:08
English to German
+ ...
Workaround Nov 28, 2008

I am not sure that the problem really exists in the way you defined it, but if you want to change language definitions you can easily do so in a Trados text export file, using a global search & replace.

There you will also see why I don't understand the relevance of the language "order", since it is a tagged database format, not a table.

Alexandra Scott
Canada
Member (2006)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Nov 28, 2008

Thanks for your input, I tried the import again and the second time it was successful. Not sure what happened the first time around, perhaps the process had not concluded.

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
United States
Local time: 04:08
English to German
TMX files and across - A general note Dec 1, 2008

Just as a reference, it is actually not really a problem in which order the database is imported into across. Using your language combination Italian into English as an example , the TMX file could be imported as English into Italian or the other way around. The reason is here that the SQL Database has a different logic than for example SDL Trados, where you need to create a spearate database for each language combination.

In across, it is easy to change the language direction. In t
... See more
Just as a reference, it is actually not really a problem in which order the database is imported into across. Using your language combination Italian into English as an example , the TMX file could be imported as English into Italian or the other way around. The reason is here that the SQL Database has a different logic than for example SDL Trados, where you need to create a spearate database for each language combination.

In across, it is easy to change the language direction. In the user profile Settings under Languages you can change the display order of the languages with the arrow buttons. Additionally, in the Project definition section you can specifiy the default language (On the bottom of the dialog). So if you most often have for example English as the source language, you could specify English here.

If you then got once in a while a project with (using again Italian as example) with Italian as the source language, you would specifiy that in the project creation.

This is actually one of the great advantages of across, where you can specify during project creation the source language instead of having to create a separate database for the other direction of the language combination.

This switching also applies to crossTerm.

Uwe
Collapse

Alexandra Scott
Canada
Member (2006)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the insight, Uwe! Dec 1, 2008

I did not realize this aspect of across, so thanks Uwe.

I tend to jump in feet first with new software as there is never enough time to read all the documentation first before getting started.

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
United States
Local time: 04:08
English to German
TMX General Dec 1, 2008

Alexandra,

if this help go to the topic http://www.proz.com/forum/across_support/120512-across_configuration.html. I added a small document on the across configuration, which might be helpful for setting it up.

Its the base version but it might be useful.

Uwe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem importing tmx file from DVX database

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »