Your opinion on Across needed
Thread poster: myska
myska
Local time: 05:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 8, 2009

Hello,

my name is Martina Novotna and I am a postgraduate student of translation at the University of Bristol (England) currently working on a comparative analysis of two translation memory tools: Wordfast and Across. I'm trying to find users' opinion on Across however yahoo groups and other translators forums such as Lantra L didn't yield much of a result and from what I found most of the views were rather negative. I haven't tested the program myself yet but will do so very soon. I know that Across is quite new on the market and I therefore assume that this could explain the lack of users' review. I therefore decided to post my questions on this forum in hope that you could share your experience with me. I hope that you don't mind and I very much hope that you would be willing to provide some opinion on this program. I would appreciate it very much.

Please feel free to be as descriptive as you like.

It should take only few minutes of your time while it would help me enormously in my evaluation and hopefully could influence future improvements of the program.

My main questions are: (I know that there are quite a few and I would be very grateful if you could answer all of them but I would be equally happy for any insight you might have about Across. Therefore do not worry if you can't or don't want to answer all of the questions.)

How long have you been using translation memory tools for? (and for how long have you been using Across?)

Why did you start using translation memory tools?

Why did you choose this program?

Are you satisfied with the program?

What do you like about it?

Is there anything you dislike?

Have you encountered any bugs? And if so, did you find that they were addressed adequately by the support group?

Is it the only program you use? And if not, what other programs do you use and for how long have you been using them? Is Across your favourite and why?

If it isn't your favourite then which tool is and why?

How do you find the support provided by Across (quick, helpful, insightful)?

Do you find the product to be user-friendly?

Do you perceive that it increases you productivity? And if not, why is that?

Plus, you are most welcome to write anything else you'd like to address.

Thank you so much for your time and your opinion. I value it very much! I shall let you all know the results.

With my best wishes,

Martina Novotna

[Edited at 2009-04-08 09:51 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Uwe Schwenk
United States
Local time: 23:03
English to German
Across Opinion Apr 8, 2009

Martina,

here you go:

How long have you been using translation memory tools for? (and for how long have you been using Across?)

TM tools for 20+ years across for close to 2 years now.

Why did you start using translation memory tools?

With often repetitive texts I needed something to increase violume without compromising quality.

Why did you choose this program?

After a comprehensive evaluation it is the program that best meets my requirements now and going forward.

Are you satisfied with the program?

Absolutely!

What do you like about it?

Basically the program as a whole and the more task based and sequential approach to translation.

Is there anything you dislike?

There is room for improvement in regards to documentation, but that was already communicated to across and I was assured that it will be addressed. Giben the responsiveness of their support, I have no reason to doubt that statement.

Have you encountered any bugs? And if so, did you find that they were addressed adequately by the support group?

All software has bugs. Bugs were addressed adequately and in a timely manner by support.

Is it the only program you use? And if not, what other programs do you use and for how long have you been using them? Yes, as of September of last year I switched completely to across in my freelance translation as well as at my place of work (I am responsible for localization at a large software company).

Is Across your favourite and why?

As stated before, it meets my requirements now and going forward.

How do you find the support provided by Across (quick, helpful, insightful)?

The support is prompt and addresses the issues reported in a timely manner.

Do you find the product to be user-friendly?

Yes!

Do you perceive that it increases you productivity? And if not, why is that?

It does increase productivity after the initial learning curver when switching from one product to another.

myska
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Uwe Apr 9, 2009

Thank you very much, Uwe, for your opinion.

It is nice to hear that you like Across. There are not many users of this product out there and that is what makes it so interesting for my study. I know that it hasn't been around for a long time which is most probably the main cause for the low usership.

All the best to you,

Martina

myska
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any more Across users out there? Apr 9, 2009

I am hoping to collect many more opinions.
Are there any more Across users out there who would be willing to share some of their insight?
I'll be looking forward to your answers and I shall inform you about the results.

Martina

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 06:03
English to Czech
+ ...
Online survey Apr 14, 2009

Hi Martina,
I suggest that you create an online survey (e.g. www.surveymonkey.com) and publish a link here. This method could increase the response rate to your questions and make it easier for you to collect and organize the data you need for your thesis.
My question: why compare Wordfast and across? Is there any reason why you have selected these two specific and very different systems?

Please feel free to contact me on orders(at)preklad.eu. I am currently supervising two M.A. theses on CAT tools, so I may (or may not) be of some help to you.

Kind regards,

Stanislav

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your opinion on Across needed

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search