Across Language Server
Thread poster: ichibanmike
ichibanmike
ichibanmike
Local time: 11:59
Japanese to English
Apr 14, 2009

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how the Across Language Server from Across does at translating large MS Office files? Can it handle files with double-byte characters in the file names, like Japanese files?

If anyone has any experience with the product, I'd like to hear your assessment (good or bad).

Thanks,

Mike

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
United States
Local time: 13:59
English to German
across and Japanese Apr 15, 2009

Mike,

across is unicode and can handle multi-byte filenames. However, the real question is on whether you want to do so. If there is only an interaction between you and the client that should not become a problem, but if you have to outsource some of the overflow it might cause issues depending on the vendor/translator you use.

More important than the filenames is the font to be used. While across is Unicode, the Unicode Arial font is not necessarily popular with Japane
... See more
Mike,

across is unicode and can handle multi-byte filenames. However, the real question is on whether you want to do so. If there is only an interaction between you and the client that should not become a problem, but if you have to outsource some of the overflow it might cause issues depending on the vendor/translator you use.

More important than the filenames is the font to be used. While across is Unicode, the Unicode Arial font is not necessarily popular with Japanese clients. So before worrying about the file names, I would recommend that you do a small test, and use the default Unicode font, and then re-translate the same file with another font, such as MS Mincho for example. Finalize both and send to the client to see what fonts they want in their documentation.

I had this as an issue with FrameMaker because the arial font is nice, but as you know better than I am, Japanese clients are particular and vocal in their requirements and pleasing them is an interesting challenge.

As for your question conerning Word, its not an issue. The best thing to do is to open the word and save in RTF format and use the RTF format for across, because it will be converted to RTF anyhow just like with SDL products.

Another option would be to split up the file before even starting and for example assing one file to one translator and the next one to another one. YOu can also split the project, but I dont want to go into too much detail here because iots a bit outside of the original question.

HTH

Uwe
Collapse

ichibanmike
ichibanmike
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Across Language Server Apr 15, 2009

Thanks, Uwe.

I'll watch the fonts carefully.

Best,

Mike

ichibanmike
ichibanmike
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Across Language Server web-based PM interface Apr 21, 2009

Hi Uwe,

Are you currently using the Across Language Server to translate from J to E inside a company? I heard they will be coming out with a web-based project manager user interface for the Across Language Server (they have a web-based translation interface now). Have you heard this, and do you think it will be coming out soon?

I can start a thread on this in the CAT tools forum if you'd rather I did that.

Thanks,

Mike

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
United States
English to German
Across Language Server web-based PM interface Apr 24, 2009

I am translating into a number of Asian and European languages. In regards to your question for PM Interface, thats slated for Version 5.

Uwe

ichibanmike
ichibanmike
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Across Language Server V5 Apr 24, 2009

Thanks, Uwe.

I heard the PM function would be coming out in a few weeks, but can't verify that.

Best regards,

Mike

hexotrad
hexotrad
Canada
Local time: 14:59
English to French
+ ...
Across 4.00.0 SP3d and Japanese terminology Oct 21, 2009

Hello everyone,

I can't get to see in crossTerm the Japanese terms relevant to each segment I translate. I have to carry out a manual search to make them appear...

Can someone help me resolve this problem?

Many thanks in advance for your answer(s), if any!!!

Best,

Lucia

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
English to German
terms in Japanese Oct 21, 2009

Lucia,

which version of Across are you using and how did you add the terms (CSV, XML)?

Uwe

hexotrad
hexotrad
Canada
English to French
+ ...
4.00.0 SP3d Oct 22, 2009

Uwe Schwenk wrote:

Lucia,

which version of Across are you using and how did you add the terms (CSV, XML)?

Uwe

Hi Uwe,

I'm using Across 4.00.0 SP3d (I know that upgrading to version 5 can solve the problem; but last week, I did so and my translated segments would not enter in crossTank... So I had to switch back to the previous version).

I entered the terms during the translation process AND from .CSV files.

I'm going to try the upgrade again, but it would great to find a solution to the problem mentioned initially.

In all cases, many thanks for your answer!

ichibanmike
ichibanmike
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Japanese language support in V4 Oct 25, 2009

When I tested it v4 had less than optimal Japanese language support for term recognition (in J to E direction).

As you seem to have found out, V5 does much better. I think V5 is your best bet. Try to reinstall it and, simultaneously, also contact tech support at Across and see if they can resolve your issue.

I have heard--but not yet tested--that Across tech support is pretty good. I would be extremely interested in how fast they respond to your request for help and h
... See more
When I tested it v4 had less than optimal Japanese language support for term recognition (in J to E direction).

As you seem to have found out, V5 does much better. I think V5 is your best bet. Try to reinstall it and, simultaneously, also contact tech support at Across and see if they can resolve your issue.

I have heard--but not yet tested--that Across tech support is pretty good. I would be extremely interested in how fast they respond to your request for help and how effective they are at resolving your issue.

Best regards,

Mike Holland
Collapse

hexotrad
hexotrad
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Across tech support Oct 26, 2009

ichibanmike wrote:

I have heard--but not yet tested--that Across tech support is pretty good. I would be extremely interested in how fast they respond to your request for help and how effective they are at resolving your issue.

Best regards,

Mike Holland

Many thanks Mike!

I've already tested the Across technical support team before, due to an impossible database migration while upgrading to version 5, and they were VERY fast and effective. They came up with a patch which made the migration process complete succesfully. However, with this upgrade, I noticed that each segment translated would not enter into crossTank database... no matter how many times I reinstall the software.

I'm going to contact the team again this week about both problems.

Best regards☺,
Lucia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across Language Server

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »