Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Local time: 03:52
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 22, 2009

My crossTank Advanced Search does not seem to be working properly.

For example, it contains:

11 occurrences of *Anpassung*

3 of them are Anpassung* and the 8 remaining are simply the word Anpassung

when I enter:
anpassung .. crossTank delivers 8 results .. it's OK

when I enter:
*anpassung .. crossTank delivers no results .. not OK! (here I expected 3 occurences)

when I enter:
anpassung*
... See more
My crossTank Advanced Search does not seem to be working properly.

For example, it contains:

11 occurrences of *Anpassung*

3 of them are Anpassung* and the 8 remaining are simply the word Anpassung

when I enter:
anpassung .. crossTank delivers 8 results .. it's OK

when I enter:
*anpassung .. crossTank delivers no results .. not OK! (here I expected 3 occurences)

when I enter:
anpassung* .. crossTank delivers 3 results .. it's OK

when I enter:
*anpassung* .. crossTank delivers no results .. not OK! (here I expected all 11 occurences)

I applied no filters.

My Version: 4.00 SP3d_de Paket-Version: 6
Personal Edition

1) Is this a bug or
2) I am not using this feature correctly or
3) I am missing some important setting?

I would appreciate any help!
Collapse

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
United States
Local time: 20:52
English to German
Search with Boolean Operators Apr 23, 2009

Marcos,

I am unable to reproduce this. I actually used the same term in English as well as in German, and using the same permutations with the asterisk, in all instances I get my 500 results. I am using 4.0 SP3c.

Unless you absolutely need it, you might want to consider to downgrade to SP3c. Otherwise I would recommend to send a support request.

Uwe

Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Downgrade Apr 23, 2009

Uwe,

ironically I was advised by a across support person to upgrade to SP3d to solve a quite different problem than that. And that in the same day as I opened this thread.

I cannot tell if this issue was there before since I did not do many searches previously.

I wish the across support people would read this forum so as to implement solutions to bugs

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
United States
Local time: 20:52
English to German
Boolean Operators Apr 23, 2009

Marcos de Miranda Zattar wrote:

Uwe,

ironically I was advised by a across support person to upgrade to SP3d to solve a quite different problem than that. And that in the same day as I opened this thread.

Out of curiosity, what was the problem?

Uwe

Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Combi mode vs. Editing mode Apr 24, 2009

Uwe,

in one of my projects containing 3 MS-Word documents across frozen as I tried to translate the last paragraph. The paragraph contains 5 setences, which I translated with only 2 sentences. Merging the first three was OK, after that I translated these 3 sentences in one in the target text. Then, in order to merge the last 2 sentences of the original text, I pressed the button Extend source segment (I am not sure if it is called so in the English version of across) and across froz
... See more
Uwe,

in one of my projects containing 3 MS-Word documents across frozen as I tried to translate the last paragraph. The paragraph contains 5 setences, which I translated with only 2 sentences. Merging the first three was OK, after that I translated these 3 sentences in one in the target text. Then, in order to merge the last 2 sentences of the original text, I pressed the button Extend source segment (I am not sure if it is called so in the English version of across) and across frozen.

I sent an export file of my project to support but they were not able to reproduce the problem. A couple of minutes ago across support called me and helped me through by means of the remote assistance help. It took no more than 15 minutes for him to find out that the problem occurs only when I set the view to Editing Mode, where source is above and target is below. He tested in the Combi mode (source above, target twice: above and below) and across did not freeze.

I might be a seldom case since he was not aware of this issue before. He informed me that in a matter of weeks a new patch might contain the solution to this problem. Until then, I will have to work with the Combi mode.
Collapse

Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Advanced mode - should be normal behavior Apr 24, 2009

BTW: I took the chance to ask the guy from support about this Advanced Search issue. He informed me that this is normal behavior from across. A * before a string cannot stand for nothing, it means at least a character. That is why the combinations:

*anpassung

and

*anpassung*

delivered no results, since my crossTank does not contain anything like, e.g.,

Maßanpassung

ou

Maßanpassungsfähigkeit.

... See more
BTW: I took the chance to ask the guy from support about this Advanced Search issue. He informed me that this is normal behavior from across. A * before a string cannot stand for nothing, it means at least a character. That is why the combinations:

*anpassung

and

*anpassung*

delivered no results, since my crossTank does not contain anything like, e.g.,

Maßanpassung

ou

Maßanpassungsfähigkeit.

I reckon that this is a rather unusual behavior, since most if not all pieces of software I ever used which has a similar search function with booleans allow for a empty value for *, a behaviour that I think is much more logical than that of across.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

crossTank - Advanced Search with boolean operators

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »