How successful is Across in supporting different file formats?
Thread poster: myska

myska
Local time: 21:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 17, 2009

Hello again,

could anybody please tell me from own experience how successful Across is in supporting the various file formats? I know that as a standalone, the range of files it can cope with is rather large. However, my question regards the reality of how well Across does in this respect, say e.g. in preserving the file format of PowerPoint (or others) when the translation if finally checked out from the program.

I would really appreaciate to know your opinion.

Thank you,

myska

Direct link Reply with quote

Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:48
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Very well May 17, 2009

I have only used across myself for word documents and powerpoint presentations, but I have found that the result is virtually identical to the layout of the target document. I was impressed with how well it coped with some complicated files I put through it recently, which included a powerpoint presentation with very complicated slides and a word document with a lot of pictures, text boxes and complicated graphs.

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:48
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Excellent May 17, 2009

Yes, Across does what it is supposed to do. The results are perfect every time. It can handle whatever you throw at it with excellent results. And, finally, it has yet to crash on my system; that's why it's my first choice.

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
The ttx issue May 17, 2009

TTX files can be imported but apparently cannot be exported again after translation. This is something you should watch out for if your clients demand this file type.

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 23:48
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TTX files May 17, 2009

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

TTX files can be imported but apparently cannot be exported again after translation. This is something you should watch out for if your clients demand this file type.

It is interesting. AFAIK bilingual files cannot be imported. Can you give some details on the TTX issue please?

Uwe Schwenk
Local time: 15:48
English to German
File formats May 18, 2009

So far I did not run into any issues and I am handling a wide variety of formats for software, help and documentation, aka manuals.

Uwe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How successful is Across in supporting different file formats?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search