Thread poster: Louisa Berry

Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:33
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
May 20, 2009

I have across version 4.0 en. I have finished a task, but on proofreading the Word document produced by Across I have changed the wording of a couple of sentences and found some spelling mistakes. I need to deliver a tmx tm with the file, so I need to go back into the task to make these changes so they will be incorporate into the TM. Any idea on how to do this please?

Many Thanks

Louisa

Direct link Reply with quote

Uwe Schwenk
Local time: 02:33
English to German
Changes after the task is closed May 20, 2009

Louisa,

there are a few options. However, if you received the package from a client, it will depend on what they allow you to do. I will list here a few possibilities.

Option 1

Pre-Requisites:
You have used a Workflow other than Translation and all tasks were completed, and we have the situation as described in your post.

Proceed as follows:

a) Switch to the document view and mark the project or the individual file as not completed (remove the checkmark in the status tab).

b) Highlight the individual file and then the project.

c) Select Workflow.

d) Follow the Wizard and change the workflow for example to translating.

Upon completion the file is present in your task.

e) Make the necessary changes, and run another clean-up, export, check-out etc.

Option 2

a) Run an Update on the file. When you get the message that there were no changes, ignore it.

b) Once the file is ready for translation, make your changes and proceed to step e in Option 1

Option 3
Pre-Requisite:
You know where the changes need to be made and there are just a few.

a) Use the Search and Replace in the target language and make the necessary adjustments.

b) Use the Save translation units to CrossTank option to update CrossTank.

c) Check-Out the file.

Option 4
Align the files, menaing the English source and your final doc with the changes made.

This is the best I could come up with. There are a few more options but that should get you started.

HTH

Uwe

Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:33
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Uwe May 20, 2009

Thanks very much, thats several for me to try in the morning!

Louisa

Uwe Schwenk
English to German
Options May 20, 2009

Louisa,

let me know if this works.

Uwe

Nicole Keller
Germany
Local time: 09:33
English to German
+ ...
Open task after it is finished May 28, 2009

Hi Louisa and Uwe,

sorry I just saw your discussion today. There is a really easy way to reopen a finished task. Go to crossBoard and enabl the option "Show all tasks" at the bottom of the window. If you work with the Language Server you will find this option in the open task window as well. Now, you can select from all the finished tasks and when you open it the system asks you whether to send back the status to unfinished.
Maybe it helps next time

Nicole

Uwe Schwenk
English to German
Going back to a previously closed task Jun 3, 2009

Nicole,

while you are absolutely correct I did deliberately not include this one for the following reason:

When you have a large number of of projects and you use for example the EN 15038 workflow, you would need to go through a very large list. While you can filter the list by a number of options such as date, task type, description, I found it easier to use one of the other methods I described.

However, I should have had this one added as well. Call it an early senior moment...

Uwe

lylaelia
South Korea
Local time: 17:03
English to Korean
+ ...
I still can't go back... Jun 23, 2009

Hello Everyone,

I'm having the exact same issue here. I already 'finished' tasks but I'd like to go back and correct them but I don't know how.

I checked Uwe's suggestions but I didn't use WorkFlow and I can't seem to run 'update'. I can't use 'Search' and 'Replace' , either, as I'm not sure exactly where I'd make changes.

Nicole's suggestion sounds simple and I followed it to the letter but when I tried to open the finished tasks on CrossBoard all I got was this message: "Task already finished and will be opened in read-only mode.". According to Nicole and Uwe, my system was supposed to ask me whether to go to unfinished status, right? But it didn't...hmm....

Is there any, preferably simple way to go back to unfinished or 'bearbeitet' status?

Eagerly looking forward to any input and thank you much in advance!

Lylaelia

Uwe Schwenk
English to German
Open a closed task Jun 23, 2009

lylaelia wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I'm having the exact same issue here. I already 'finished' tasks but I'd like to go back and correct them but I don't know how.

I checked Uwe's suggestions but I didn't use WorkFlow and I can't seem to run 'update'. I can't use 'Search' and 'Replace' , either, as I'm not sure exactly where I'd make changes.

Nicole's suggestion sounds simple and I followed it to the letter but when I tried to open the finished tasks on CrossBoard all I got was this message: "Task already finished and will be opened in read-only mode.". According to Nicole and Uwe, my system was supposed to ask me whether to go to unfinished status, right? But it didn't...hmm....

Is there any, preferably simple way to go back to unfinished or 'bearbeitet' status?

Eagerly looking forward to any input and thank you much in advance!

Lylaelia

Lylaelia,

If you have received a package for translation from an LSP, that you contact them so they can reset this.

When you use Search and Replace you will be presented with a dialog listing each and every instance of the occurence of the termnilogy in question. You can then select (Check or Uncheck) which ones you want to change.

Uwe

[Edited at 2009-06-23 13:33 GMT]

lylaelia
South Korea
Local time: 17:03
English to Korean
+ ...
Considering options... Jun 23, 2009

Hi Uwe,

Thank you very much for your response. That was fast!

Search and Replace features will be helpful but is there any way I just can simply change the status from finished to unfinished for the whole tasks?

The reason I marked tasks 'finished' in the first place was that I wanted for a project manager to check my translation progress. I needed to send a translation (not final translation, just 'draft' one) and the task should be marked 'finished' to be delivered as CRU file so I had to do so. I thought I always could easily change the status from finished ("translated") to unfinished ("touched") later...

If that is not possible, I'm wondering if the project manager is authorized to set status of the task to editing state "touched"? If so, should I ask the project manager to, say, release the translation and send it back to me so that I could import it and keep translating?

Looking forward to your help and thank you much, much in advance!

Lylaelia

[Edited at 2009-06-23 15:40 GMT]

Uwe Schwenk
English to German
Going back to closed task Jun 23, 2009

lylaelia wrote:

If that is not possible, I'm wondering if the project manager is authorized to set status of the task to editing state "touched"? If so, should I ask the project manager to, say, release the translation and send it back to me so that I could import it and keep translating?

[Edited at 2009-06-23 15:40 GMT]

That would be the best solution.

Uwe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Going back into a previously closed task

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search