TM: Filter "Project" - set automatically?
Thread poster: Nimm2
Nimm2
Nimm2
Local time: 09:48
May 27, 2009

I've just recently installed Across and I think the filter-system is a bit confusing.

When I created a new project and started to translate, whenever I completed a paragraph and marked it as "translated", it was copied into the TM with the filter "project" automatically set to the project name (eg. "Office_Help").
But since a few days, the filter isn't set automatically anymore. To make things worse, I can't find a way to set the filter manually for all paragraphs at once, or
... See more
I've just recently installed Across and I think the filter-system is a bit confusing.

When I created a new project and started to translate, whenever I completed a paragraph and marked it as "translated", it was copied into the TM with the filter "project" automatically set to the project name (eg. "Office_Help").
But since a few days, the filter isn't set automatically anymore. To make things worse, I can't find a way to set the filter manually for all paragraphs at once, or export all paragraphs into the TM and define filters.

I know it is possible to edit several crossTank entries at once in the crossTank manager, but to do that I'd need to filter them first, and there's no way to do that (too much other entries in the TM).

Is this a bug or did I do something wrong without noticing? How can I export all paragraphs of the translation project and set the filter?
Collapse

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
Local time: 02:48
English to German
Project Filters May 28, 2009

Here is a solution for the issue described by you:

There is a relatively easy solution to this. Proceed as follows:

Before correcting anything lets create first a backup of the project, just in case.

1) Open across.

2) Switch to the project view (Click the folder symbol in the left frame)

3) In the project view highlight the project and right-click.

4) Select Export.

5) In Step 2 of the expor
... See more
Here is a solution for the issue described by you:

There is a relatively easy solution to this. Proceed as follows:

Before correcting anything lets create first a backup of the project, just in case.

1) Open across.

2) Switch to the project view (Click the folder symbol in the left frame)

3) In the project view highlight the project and right-click.

4) Select Export.

5) In Step 2 of the export wizard select the folder and file name where you want to store the project. (The project file will have the extension .ara. In case something goes wrong, you can delete the existing project in across and re-import the project we just exported.

Now to the actual issue at hand:

a) Highlight the project and right-click.

b) Select Properties.

c) In the Dialog check in the project tab whether all settings for relation, subject etc. are correct.

d) In case of issues make the necessary changes.

e) If there are no issues there, close the dialog.

f) Switch to the Profile settings and in this dialog to the CrossTank section.

g) Check in the area for extended storing whether the checkmark for the project attributes is marked. (If you also want to save the relation and subject as attributes, check these options also.

h) Make sure that the checkbox for eliminating multiple translation units through overwriting is checked.

i) Close the Dialog.

j) Switch back to the tasks and complete the translation and mark everything as translated.

k) Switch to the project view again, highlight the project again and right-click.

l) Select the option Save completed Translation Units to CrossTank.

m) Upon completion of this action, highlight the project and select export to TMX.

n) repeat steps 1 through 5 for creating a backup. You can overwrite the existing or whichever way you want to do this.

You have now the translation units in TMX formats with the relevant tagging formation for this particular project. A note for the TMX export. If you are using across as the only tool, you can create the TMX export in across format. If across is one of multiple tools in use, select the option to interchange with other CAT tools when exporting into tmx format. In this manner you can import the TMX file into other tools and reuse again over there as well.

Uwe
Collapse

Nimm2
Nimm2
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 28, 2009

Thanks a lot!
I didn't expect such detailed directions!

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
English to German
TM Filter May 29, 2009

Darthcast wrote:

Thanks a lot!
I didn't expect such detailed directions!

You will see often in the forums that the ProZ crowd is NOT Microsoft support...

Let me know how it went.

Uwe

[Edited at 2009-05-29 16:40 GMT]

Nimm2
Nimm2
TOPIC STARTER
It worked. Jun 4, 2009

Everything worked perfectly.

This was a group (translation) project for university, we finished it today. I was the one responsible for problems with Across. I also wrote a short guide about Across, where I included your instructions. I could upload it, if anyone is interested. It is in german however, and only very simple things are explained.

Uwe Schwenk wrote:
You will see often in the forums that the ProZ.com crowd is NOT Microsoft support...

Yes, I've already noticed the high quality of the postings in this forum. BTW, nice synonym for community. Is it common? I've never heard it before.

I do not agree with your opinion of Microsoft though - I like Karl Klammer.

Thanks again!

[Edited at 2009-06-04 20:18 GMT]

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
English to German
TM Filter Jun 5, 2009

I am glad it worked out.

Uwe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM: Filter "Project" - set automatically?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »