troubles with export and import of terms in Across 4.0
Thread poster: enrique242
enrique242
enrique242
Peru
Local time: 18:52
English to Spanish
Jun 13, 2009

I exported terms (source term: English, target term: Spanish) by means of Cross Term Manager in Across installed in my laptop and then import them to my PC by means of Cross Term Manager, but at the moment to translate sentences that included these terms in Across, only I saw in the pane of Cross Term, the source term but not the target term. Maybe it’s only matter of setting parameters.

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
English to German
Terms import/export Jun 15, 2009

Enrique,

there are a few possibilities

1. Check if on both computers the language settings are the same (different flavors of Spanish used for the import for example).

2. Do you have on both computers the same version of across installed?

Thats all I could come up with off hands.

Uwe

jens wencker
jens wencker  Identity Verified
English
+ ...
Terms import/export Jun 15, 2009

Hello Enrique,

I think Uwe is right with the sub language. In Across you have two different options for Spanish EU - Spanish Spain International Sort and Spanish Spain Traditional Sort.

Whe I import a Trados TM it presets the ES-ES language to Spanish Spain International Sort.
I would recommend to change it and map it to Spanish Spain Traditional Sort. If you start a project with the sublanguage Spanish - Spain as target language. I experienced that Across look
... See more
Hello Enrique,

I think Uwe is right with the sub language. In Across you have two different options for Spanish EU - Spanish Spain International Sort and Spanish Spain Traditional Sort.

Whe I import a Trados TM it presets the ES-ES language to Spanish Spain International Sort.
I would recommend to change it and map it to Spanish Spain Traditional Sort. If you start a project with the sublanguage Spanish - Spain as target language. I experienced that Across looks for entries of Spanish Spain Traditional Sort. If your penalty setting have a high penalty for 'different sublanguage' you end up with no matches found, even you imported quite a view Spanish/Spain Terms.
Collapse

enrique242
enrique242
Peru
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
both versions are the same (Across 4.0) Jun 17, 2009

Yes, I have the same version in both computers (laptop and PC).

I carried out the following procedure:

Clic in Cross Term Manager

In the window of Cross Term Manager: clic in Quick add terms

Appear the followings boxes:

Serve context : ___________________
Subject : ___________________
Relation : ___________________
Project : ___________________

At right appears:

Languag
... See more
Yes, I have the same version in both computers (laptop and PC).

I carried out the following procedure:

Clic in Cross Term Manager

In the window of Cross Term Manager: clic in Quick add terms

Appear the followings boxes:

Serve context : ___________________
Subject : ___________________
Relation : ___________________
Project : ___________________

At right appears:

Languages: English > Spanish (Language: Spanish, Sublanguage: Spain / Traditional sort)

Below:

Source: _________________ Target: ___________________ + Add

Inglés (Estados Unidos) Español – España (alfabetización tradicional)

Entry properties

Properties: Adding property…

Below:

Term properties

Term type : ___________ Term type : ___________
Part of Speech : ___________ Part of Speech : ___________
Gramatical gender : _________ Gramatical gender : ___________
Usage : ___________ Usage : ___________
usage note : ___________ Usage note : ___________

Save Changes Cancel

In the box of Languages, I chose as Language: Spanish and sublanguage: Spain / Traditional sort in order to export the terms from my laptop to my PC. Then I when opened my Project in my PC (Project created with source language: English and target language: Spain / Tradicional sort), I could see, in the pane of Cross Term, some terms that were in both languages (english > spanish / traditional sort), but other terms only were in english language.

I don’t know if I carried out the correct procedure.
Collapse

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
English to German
CrossTerm Jun 17, 2009

Enrique,

for the the point of some terms being shown in source and target and others only in source, there are two possibilities.

1. The term sonly showing English does not yet have a translation.

or

2. The terms showing only the English has the wrong language coding.

I would propose the following:

a) Export Crossterm (where it shows partially both languages) as TBX.

b) Open the file.<
... See more
Enrique,

for the the point of some terms being shown in source and target and others only in source, there are two possibilities.

1. The term sonly showing English does not yet have a translation.

or

2. The terms showing only the English has the wrong language coding.

I would propose the following:

a) Export Crossterm (where it shows partially both languages) as TBX.

b) Open the file.

c) Check one of the terms where it shows English and Spanish and pay particular attention to the language code.

d) Proceed to a term where it shows the English only.

e) Check if there is a translation available. If no translation is avilable, add the relevant translation.

f) If a translation is available compare the Language code in use with the code of a unit where it displays both languages in CrossTerm.

g) If there are differences, make the adjustments acording to the unit where it displays correctly.

If this does not solve it, I recommend that you contact support.

Uwe
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

troubles with export and import of terms in Across 4.0

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »