Across alignment - does it work for you?
Thread poster: Susan Welsh

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:13
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Aug 25, 2009

I am trying to learn Across, with many mishaps. The alignment function is particularly intractable, and I wonder whether I just need to work harder at it, or whether it's not worth the bother. It seems that if your source and target documents don't match EXACTLY as to structure (paragraphing, etc.), the alignment will jam up and you have to start all over again. What I've done so far has been extremely time consuming.

Thanks,
Susan

Md Abu Alam  Identity Verified
Bangladesh
Local time: 23:13
Member (2009)
English to Bengali
+ ...
i also noticed Aug 25, 2009

Yes, what you observed is true. I also noticed the same tendency in Across.

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 20:13
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Yes, almost... Aug 25, 2009

Yes, it works, but not as supposed. When scrolling some lines appear and mislead you, because they shouldn't be there, and in fact are not there: they are displayed because of screen redraw problems, I suppose, or something like that. The result is much confusion, added to the confusion caused by the 3-part layout. This, of course, is in harmony with the rest of the program, which has a particularly obsolete (or should I say "terrible"?) GUI, for which they did nothing at all in version 5.

Across has some very good features if looked at its core, but its surface is very, very outdated and user-unfriendly...

United States
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, GUI is terrible Aug 25, 2009

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

This, of course, is in harmony with the rest of the program, which has a particularly obsolete (or should I say "terrible"?) GUI, for which they did nothing at all in version 5.

Across has some very good features if looked at its core, but its surface is very, very outdated and user-unfriendly...

I'm afraid you're right. I was attributing it to the fact that I'm used to a much simpler tool (OmegaT), and I'm using Across in a Windows Virtual Box inside a Linux shell, which makes everything just a bit more crowded. Thanks to you and Abu Alam for your information.

FarkasAndras
Local time: 19:13
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Alignment Aug 25, 2009

Here goes my old rant about alignment again, after all it's been a few months now:
All the aligners from CAT tool vendors (that I know of) are useless if you want to align more than a few pages, so don't bother with them. They just segment the texts, pair up the resulting segments - which obviously don't pair up correctly as the aligner never even tried to get them to - and then give you a terrible GUI on which you have to do all the actual work. Given the choice, I'd rather use a word processor and a spreadsheet program for aligning than Winalign, for example... but I don't have to as there is a better solution.

The likes of Hunalign, a smart command-line aligner use sentence length and a dictionary to make educated guesses about what the correct pairing is, giving you an 80-99% accurate result that you only need to check.
Hunalign is a bit messy to use but I think it's well worth the effort. My writeup: http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/2176/1/Aligning-texts-with-Hunalign

United States
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hunalign Aug 26, 2009

Thanks, Farkas. I recall reading your article some months ago, but command lines scared me away. (I'm getting a LITTLE BIT used to them now, thanks to help from my son and a book called "The Linux Cookbook." But I have a long way to go. I don't even know how to access the command line in Windows.) I know you are expert in these matters, and take your word for it that this is a good way to go.

I have tried tried Stingray (probably good for someone who can figure it out, but way to complicated for me), TextAlign (Russian interface - quite simple, worked for me until I got out of practice, and then I tried it again and couldn't do it for some reason. Would probably suffice it I kept in practice or wrote myself a step-by-step manual.), and probably some others that I can't remember now. One of the reasons I thought I'd try to learn Across was the hope of having a good aligner, but it looks like it doesn't.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across alignment - does it work for you?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search