JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 01:57
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Aug 26, 2009

Hi all

I have just downloaded and am trying to get to grips with Across (v. 5.0). So far I must say I am very impressed with it. It seems to be better than other CAT software I have tried in that it seems to have a lot of features and be relatively user friendly, and yet it's free to freelancers! Of course I can't compare it to Trados, as they don't seem to want to give freelancers a chance to try their program - you just have to buy it (for that price? You must be joking!).

Anyway - my question. What are the main things that you wish you'd known when you first used Across? Things that you finally discovered after some time using the program, and which you now use every day (keyboard shortcuts etc.) I read in another thread that someone had requested a list of the keyboard shortcuts in one place, and that would certainly be useful.

Any technique hints? (Like "what to consider before you start copying stuff to CrossTerm"...)

Thanks in advance!

Jane

Direct link Reply with quote

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 02:57
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Aug 26, 2009

Honestly, I don't think across is a user friendly program. And a free program is not always a good thing; across is difficult to learn and you will have to spend weeks to learn it.

You will notice a difference in your system, your computer will work slower because of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 installed with across.

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Disappointed with other CATs? Aug 26, 2009

Just out of curiosity: which other CATs have you tried before getting started on Across and what did you dislike about them?

Sorry, no Across advice from this side either, but I am sure one of the gurus will come up with some.

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
There is also an online version Aug 26, 2009

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Honestly, I don't think across is a user friendly program. And a free program is not always a good thing; across is difficult to learn and you will have to spend weeks to learn it.

You will notice a difference in your system, your computer will work slower because of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 installed with across.

You are right about it making your computer slow and I also disliked that. However, at the moment I use the online version which isn't installed on my own computer but somewhere on the network. That seems to work really well.
Unfortunately I haven't used it a lot yet, so I also don't have any advice. I do disagree with your opinion that it's difficult to learn. The few times I used it I spend less than five minutes to figure out how to do a concordance search and move to the next segment, it worked very much like in any other CAT tool.

Alina - Maria Chiteala  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 02:57
Member (2011)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Across Aug 26, 2009

Well, Across was my first CAT tool and I just love it. First I have tried Wordfast but I could not leran it. It is looked very difficult to me and all wrong in my opinion. When I tried Across I was really impresed. I learn most of the features in 2 hours and started working. Of course I'm discoverying new things everyday but I do not like to use help files or trainings. Without those it was the only program I could learn so far.
As for trados - well at that price - no way. Sorry but it is just to much for me.

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Speed issue Aug 26, 2009

I haven't noticed it making my computer slow at all so far! And my PC, while newish, is nothing like top of the range. Perhaps it's one of these issues that comes with time.

In answer to what other CAT products I have tried - amongst others I have tried both versions of Wordfast (Classic and Pro) and can't get on with it at all. It seems very contra-intuitive. I've also used a proprietary program created by a particular translation agency, which I like as it is very simple but quite effective - but Across seems to have features which this other one doesn't have.

Uwe Schwenk
Local time: 18:57
English to German
Tips and Speed Aug 26, 2009

With the Speed, I have not noticed anything different. However, as I recommended in another post in tis forum, it works a lot better when the actual databases are on an external hard drive.

Jane, as for tips, if you go under http://72arts.com/technical.html, I added a few tips for across in iPaper format (you can also donwload them). There is more to come, but current projects have priority.

HTH

Uwe

llgtrad
English to French
+ ...
databases on an external hard drive Sep 1, 2009

Uwe Schwenk wrote:

With the Speed, I have not noticed anything different. However, as I recommended in another post in tis forum, it works a lot better when the actual databases are on an external hard drive.

HTH

Uwe

How would you proceed to move the databases onto an external hard drive, once Across is installed?

Uwe Schwenk
Local time: 18:57
English to German
databases on an external hard drive Sep 2, 2009

Lucia,

if this was not done directly during the installation, I recommend to contact across, because they have a little instruction document for doing so. Also, if the installation is done but you have not worked with it yet, you could potentially uninstall and when re-installing define the databases directly for the external hard drive.

Thats what I did on my box.

HTH

Uwe

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Slow indeed Sep 3, 2009

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

I can't but second Selcuk's post. Not much more to add, just one little thing: The MS SQL Server is the free edition, so the amount of data stored in it is limited (3 GB if I'm not mistaken), so if you're using large TMs and TDBs, you will soon run out of space.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Top Across Tips"

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search