Kai Döring
Kai Döring  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 01:18
English to German
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Oct 18, 2009

Hi! I am using Across v5 for my translation work.

Since I am working from time to time also from my laptop, I was wondering if I can use the database from my desktop also on my laptop.

Instead of importing and exporting the database?!?

Or is it possible to synchronize this databases?

Any advise is appreciated.

Regards,

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:18
German to Spanish
Very easy Oct 18, 2009

Kai Döring wrote:

Hi! I am using Across v5 for my translation work.

Since I am working from time to time also from my laptop, I was wondering if I can use the database from my desktop also on my laptop.

Instead of importing and exporting the database?!?

Or is it possible to synchronize this databases?

Any advise is appreciated.

Regards,

Just use Dropbox.

Put the database in a folder inside Dropbox and it will be always synchronized in any PC where you have install Dropbox.

Here is more information: www.getdropbox.com

Regards

Kai Döring
Kai Döring  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 01:18
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Did somebody tried this already? Oct 19, 2009

This sounds easy but than I would need to connect the database of Across to this folder right?

Any advise?

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
Just try Oct 19, 2009

Kai Döring wrote:

This sounds easy but than I would need to connect the database of Across to this folder right?

Any advise?

I don't know well Across, I just try it. But I think this is a general question. If you define the location of your memory in C/.../My Dropbox/Across (AFAIK you can change the location) in both computer, both applications will access to the same directory cause "My Dropbox" is a virtual Folder that is always synchronized over a secure connection to your "cloud" in Dropbox server.

I use it for all my jobs + TMs, so I can work anywhere and with always the last version.

Regards

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
Local time: 12:18
English to German
One TM 2 Computers Oct 21, 2009

Kai,

I am assuming you are using the Freelance version and not the Server.

In order to use across on 2 computers there is (IMHO) only one option to make sure it functions correctly.

Proceed as follows:

1. Install across on both Computers and create the database.
2. Import the base TMX file to both databases.
3. From then on forward very time you complete a project, export the project and add it to the other installation.
... See more
Kai,

In order to use across on 2 computers there is (IMHO) only one option to make sure it functions correctly.

Proceed as follows:

3. From then on forward very time you complete a project, export the project and add it to the other installation.
4. After adding it save the TMX to the database so you have matching Translation memories.

I personally would recommend against this dual use because if you have for example a large number of projects, the maintenance to keep everything in snych is a considerable challenge.

Uwe
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
Hm Oct 22, 2009

Uwe Schwenk wrote:

Kai,

Proceed as follows:

4. After adding it save the TMX to the database so you have matching Translation memories.

I personally would recommend against this dual use because if you have for example a large number of projects, the maintenance to keep everything in snych is a considerable challenge.

Uwe

Did you read my explanation? Do you see something wrong on it? If you create the Database in the Dropbox Folder where is the problem to maintain a perfect synchronicity?

Regards

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
Local time: 12:18
English to German
2 Computers Nov 2, 2009

Fernando Toledo wrote:

Did you read my explanation? Do you see something wrong on it? If you create the Database in the Dropbox Folder where is the problem to maintain a perfect synchronicity?

Regards

Fernando,

first of all sorry for the late reply, but Clients always come first.

In regards to your question, the synchronicity is only partially the issue. As with all synchronization tools it often only synchronizes the pieces of a file that have changed and not the whole file. While in itself a sound principle, it can become an issue with translation memories, aka databases.

However, my real concern is the dropbox being stored online (nothing against the service I know nothing about it and have never used it) and now I have confidential data from Clients online in a location outside of my control per se. That is the real issue for me.

Uwe

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:18
German to English
+ ...
Tested dropbox for TM synchronizing Nov 2, 2009

I thought this was an interesting suggestion, so I tried it with a different tool (DVX) to see how Dropbox behaves. It looks like this works well enough for serial use on multiple computers. Don't even think of trying concurrent use, as the TM on one computer will be written over with the version updated by a different computer, depending on which computer exits the application first. Still this is useful I think. Looks a lot safer than Nomadesk, which had a bad habit of corrupting my files in e... See more
I thought this was an interesting suggestion, so I tried it with a different tool (DVX) to see how Dropbox behaves. It looks like this works well enough for serial use on multiple computers. Don't even think of trying concurrent use, as the TM on one computer will be written over with the version updated by a different computer, depending on which computer exits the application first. Still this is useful I think. Looks a lot safer than Nomadesk, which had a bad habit of corrupting my files in early versions.Collapse

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dropbox is excellent and can be secure with tweaks Nov 3, 2009

Hello...

I have been using Dropbox for a few months with Trados and SDLX on two computers and am extremely satisfied with the results. It's automatic and requires no user intervention. With a bit of tweaking through a program like TrueCrypt, it can be a very secure experience (send me a private message and I'll send you a link).

Best wishes,
David

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

One database, but two computers.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »