Thread poster: Stefan Stryjecki

Stefan Stryjecki
Poland
Local time: 11:42
English to Polish
+ ...
Oct 19, 2009

Hi.

I am using Across PE v.5. I need interoperability with a customer using Trados TM... where soft returns are interpreted as a sentence delimiter. In Across this is not the case. When translating Excel tables with long texts divided with use of soft returns I end up with unusable crossTank entries (very long... only searchable with Concordance search).

I have read the Documentation and tried to create an appropriate sentence rule so that a soft return marks the end of a sentence. But I can't get it to work...

The guys at Across support were utterly unhelpful (repeatedly telling me to read the documentation which I've done) so I'm asking you guys... Do you know how to set up such a rule?

Thanks in advance!

Uwe Schwenk
Local time: 04:42
English to German
Sentence for Soft return Oct 21, 2009

Stefan,

I dont think you can define this particular rule because the Wildcard _ is used for Spaces (NULL character, horizontal tab, space, carriage return, line feed, vertical tab), and therefore it would lead to a major headache if defined as end of sentence.

However, I have a suggestion for you. Forget the defining of a spearate sentence rule, because that can lead to unpredictable results for other translations as well, if you dont deactivate it afterwards.

I had similar issues and did the following:

1. Replace all soft returns with for example a period and a line break delimiter (.\n).

You can then use the rule [n]+[.^n] to get the sgements correctly. the rule shoud be defined already but if not thats easy to add.

2. Afterwards use the finished document and replace the Line breaks .\n with the soft page break.

You can of course use other ones, but this worked fine for me. No mucking around with the sentence delimter, no consequential issues for other projects. It worked for me.

Uwe

Stefan Stryjecki
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Oct 22, 2009

Hi Uwe.

Thanks for your answer. All the more that the guys at Across didn't even bother to reply. It is really a downside to Across if I have to do it that way. But it's better than nothing. Thank you for your help.

AAV
Local time: 16:42
How to add a delimiter Oct 28, 2009

You need to 1) add a wildcard for softreturn, 2) add a sentence rule.

Across -> System settings -> General -> Language settings:

1) Wildcards -> Add:
Name: T (or any other unused character)
Code points: 0x000B (code of "soft return" character).

2) Language sets -> Standard language sets -> Sentence rules -> Add:
Sentence delimeter: ^T
Pattern: ^T

Stefan Stryjecki
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the above does not work Oct 30, 2009

@AAV - I tried your method but it didn't work... Actually, I found out that soft returns have their own wildcard: '\'. So I made an according sentence rule but... nothing.

AAV
Sentence or paragraph delimiter? Oct 31, 2009

@Stefan Stryjecki, that's strange, because it works for me (exact my example with "T"). If you provide me export of you language settings, I can correct them.

BTW, probably you are mixing segments and paragraphs? I mean, sentence rules won't create different paragraphs from "soft-return-delimited" text.
(For this you additionaly need to change system settings -> document settings -> excel/excel 2007 -> splitting settings -> "split paragraph into sentences".)

Stefan Stryjecki
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
well Oct 31, 2009

Hi AAV.

No, I'm not mixing segments and paragraphs... I want soft returns to delimit sentences, not paragraphs.

How can I send you my sentence rules? I would definitely do this. I could also send you a sample of the problematic Excel file (an excerpt with changed content, b/c the original file is confidential...). Maybe it's the file, I don't know.

AAV
Different code points for softreturn Nov 5, 2009

It really was a file in some wayicon_smile.gif
Reason why the rule worked for me and didn't work for Stefan Stryjecki was different "code points" for carriage return: 0x000B in my Word document and 0x000A in Excel.
So the solution was to change wildcard to 0x000A in the rule above.

[Edited at 2009-11-05 06:14 GMT]

Stefan Stryjecki
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
an addendum Nov 5, 2009

In addition to the above, I had to remove the aforementioned characters from the '_' wildcard (used for white spaces). Otherwise, the rules I set up for soft returns were superseded by the rules for white spaces.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create a sentence rule for 'soft return'

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search