Can I rescue work using backup of SQL files?
Thread poster: biggerfiddle
biggerfiddle
Germany
Local time: 14:28
German to English
+ ...
Feb 26, 2010

I do translation work using Across 5.0 offline client. Clients send me .cwu files, I process the texts, usually over several days, saving the work as I go, and I then generate .cru files which I send back to them.

I was halfway through a .cwu file and had a virus problem. This was on a Windows partition on my Mac, so even if I couldn't run Windows properly, I could make a backup of the whole partition easily before I reinstalled Windows and Across.

Now I would like to use the newly installed Across program to read and edit the old data generated as I processed the .cwu with Across, so I can continue the translation where I had stopped (ca. 15 hours into a 30-hour job). I am not sure where these data are, and I can't run the new installation replacing ALL the old Microsoft SQL Server data (I'm guessing that's where the data are), because the password doesn't work. If, in the Programs/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL.1/ "data" folder I only replace the old files labeled "2009" (for the 2009 installation) in the new group (where they are labeled "2010" for the new installation), if it runs, Across does not recognize them and I don't have the option to open them.

How does one go about doing this? There must be a way to rescue work-in-progress in these situations...

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I rescue work using backup of SQL files?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search