Can I rescue work using backup of SQL files?
Thread poster: biggerfiddle

biggerfiddle
Germany
Local time: 17:24
German to English
+ ...
Feb 26, 2010

I do translation work using Across 5.0 offline client. Clients send me .cwu files, I process the texts, usually over several days, saving the work as I go, and I then generate .cru files which I send back to them.

I was halfway through a .cwu file and had a virus problem. This was on a Windows partition on my Mac, so even if I couldn't run Windows properly, I could make a backup of the whole partition easily before I reinstalled Windows and Across.

Now I would like to use the newly installed Across program to read and edit the old data generated as I processed the .cwu with Across, so I can continue the translation where I had stopped (ca. 15 hours into a 30-hour job). I am not sure where these data are, and I can't run the new installation replacing ALL the old Microsoft SQL Server data (I'm guessing that's where the data are), because the password doesn't work. If, in the Programs/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL.1/ "data" folder I only replace the old files labeled "2009" (for the 2009 installation) in the new group (where they are labeled "2010" for the new installation), if it runs, Across does not recognize them and I don't have the option to open them.

How does one go about doing this? There must be a way to rescue work-in-progress in these situations...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I rescue work using backup of SQL files?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search