Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:07
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Mar 4, 2010

G'day everyone

I'm trying to install Across 5 and the installer asks to install SQL. The SQL installer cautions me that installing it may make my system unstable unless I install two hotfixes from Microsoft. The Microsoft web site cautions me that the hotfixes are experimental and not guaranteed not to break my computer. So my question is... do I really need to install SQL or can I just run Across without it?

Samuel

[Edited at 2010-03-04 15:41 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
I don't think so... Mar 4, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

So my question is... do I really need to install SQL or can I just run Across without it?

As far as I remember, Across stores everything in the SQL database. You can probably use SQL database instance at different machine, but you are stuck with MS SQL.

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:07
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Yes, it's compulsory Mar 4, 2010

Unless you install it, there will be no place for Across to store its TM and glossary. You see, it employs one big TM only (you can 'break it down' by proper annotation each time you embark on a new project—I mean filling in fields such as "Relation", "Subject", etc.)., which is not file-based—it is stored in a SQL database.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So basically... Mar 4, 2010

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:
Unless you install it, there will be no place for Across to store its TM and glossary.

So basically, if an agency asks you to install Across, they're really asking you to install experimental software which may break your computer. That is interesting.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
wow Mar 4, 2010

Unless you install it, there will be no place for Across to store its TM and glossary. You see, it employs one big TM only (you can 'break it down' by proper annotation each time you embark on a new project—I mean filling in fields such as "Relation", "Subject", etc.)., which is not file-based—it is stored in a SQL database.

Interesting approach. A bit industrial, and, considering the whole "install SQL" bit, obviously not ideal for freelancers. Perhaps it was designed more for use by companies on a network and not by individuals on a single machine?

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Not quite Mar 4, 2010

This is not the case. SQL is not experimental, nor are the updates from Microsoft Update. I've never heard that before.

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
MS SQL experimental? Mar 4, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

So basically, if an agency asks you to install Across, they're really asking you to install experimental software which may break your computer. That is interesting.

MS SQL is not experimental software SQL Server Express Edition might have its limitations, but it's the smaller version of really powerful database engine created by Microsoft.

Any specific version that gave you the message about being experimental software?

Claudio Porcellana  Identity Verified
Italy
be aware Samuel Mar 4, 2010

I spent 2 whole days to fix all SQL issues and get back a fully working PC
installations, patches, uninstallations: a nightmare!

see here
http://www.proz.com/forum/across_support/143792-across_installation_gives_me_nightmare.html

clearly, may be that the "SQL-Across-rest of the world" marriage is improved now, but if you can, use Acronis Try&Decide or a secondary PC, or install Across when the work is dull ...
;-D

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2010-03-04 23:57 GMT]

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Epameinondas Mar 6, 2010

This is not the case. SQL is not experimental, nor are the updates from Microsoft Update.

SQL is not experimental, but the implementation of SQL that Across 5 requires certainly is. And what I said about the hotfixes being unsupported and experimental isn't something I made up -- the Microsoft download web site itself says so. Normal Windows updates that everyone are supposed to install aren't experimental, true, but some of the smaller hotfixes (such as the ones required by the SQL server that is installed by Across 5) are officially unsupported by Microsoft.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Wojciech Mar 6, 2010

Wojciech Froelich wrote:
Any specific version that gave you the message about being experimental software?

I'm not sure of the version number. It is the one that is distributed with Across 5. When I install Across, Across tells me that I need to install this SQL thing, and then it automatically tries to do it, and then it detects my operating system and tells me that since I'm not using the latest bleeding-edge service pack, installing this thing may cause my computer to crash and that it is highly recommended that I install the two hotfixes available from the Microsoft web site.

I suppose if I used a later version of the operating system, this message would not have appeared. But I'm not going to buy a new computer unless I suddenly get enough work from Across clients to warrant that expense.

[Edited at 2010-03-06 11:58 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
I don't think SQL is required Mar 14, 2010

At least not unless you want to use Across to create your own projects, TMs and termbases. If you can live with project packages sent to you by translation agencies or direct clients, there should be no need to install the *&@^$(%) SQL thing on your machine.

AAV
Local time: 03:07
SQL is compulsory for Personal Edition Mar 15, 2010

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

At least not unless you want to use Across to create your own projects, TMs and termbases. If you can live with project packages sent to you by translation agencies or direct clients, there should be no need to install the *&@^$(%) SQL thing on your machine.

In this case SQL is needed too. Across creates a database in which all the info (project, TMs, terminilogy) from package is imported. After this Across works with this database, not with a package.

Nahit Karataşlı  Identity Verified
Turkey
English to Turkish
+ ...
That's the case! Mar 15, 2010

AAV wrote:

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

In this case SQL is needed too. Across creates a database in which all the info (project, TMs, terminilogy) from package is imported. After this Across works with this database, not with a package.

Yes it needs, follow the installation instructions to see it.

The Across server comunicates PE via SQL to extract/exchange the TMs. This is the point.

For that reason and OS dependency, I had asked a question to the support desk of Across.net if they have any project on the radar for a fully independent system or not, and I had the answer "NO."

Samuel asked a very wise question on the matter.

"Do the people have to have the risks of the standalone applications that require other dependencies full of risks?"

Nakarat

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:07
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Is it possible to install a different version of SQL with Across Personal Edition v5? Jun 13, 2010

Is it possible to install a different/your own version of SQL, instead of the

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition (SP3) that is automatically installed by the Across Personal Edition v5 installer, so as to circumvent the 3GB TM limit?

Such as SQL Server 2005 Standard, e.g.?

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Whoops... Jun 13, 2010

AAV wrote:

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Didn't know that, or at least I wasn't required to install SQL with v. 4. If SQL is required, things are even worse then...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I really need to install SQL?

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search