Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:12
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Jul 21, 2010

I have Windows Vista Home Premium 64
Installation of Across went smoothly and I could complete a bigger project with CrossWeb with no bigger problems, encountering just the snail tempo of the program.
With the second project the CrossWeb interface refused to work, so I've got a CAP file from my customer and "downloaded" the task. It did not work, so I finally translated the source file provided by the customer with Trados, of course with no problems whatsoever.
Now I have next projects, did "download" them and try to work, but Across is permanently crashing.
No error message or so, just "This program does not react" and all I can do is to kill it in TaskManager.
I must admit this is a nightmare...

Another question - why does Across not allow me to specify where I want to download a project? It simply choses a location for me. I mean I am an adult person and would like to contoll my processes. In terms of EN 15038 certification this behaviour of the program is inacceptable - without playing Sherlock Holmes on my PC I do not know the location of files.

Best regards and many thanks for any tipp (I understand there will certainly not be much - in fact you do not have a crystall ball)
A frustrated Trados user
Jerzy

[Edited at 2010-07-21 07:50 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Edith Goebel  Identity Verified
German to Danish
+ ...
Across Jul 21, 2010

Hello Jerzy,

Yesterday I had a problem with a trojan horse. It was located in the across folder. I don't know if it has something with across or your problem to do.

Edith

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Virus/trojans Jul 21, 2010

Thank you.
However I can quite exclude any virus/trojan infection on my PC, as it is well protected and I do not open any unknown links, mails or similar.

Best regards
Jerzy

Radu Nicolaescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 05:12
Member (2006)
German to Romanian
+ ...
Across philosophy Aug 12, 2010

Hello Jerzy,

do not loose your patience and hope if you really think to work with Across

the ground problem is not Across itself as application but the total foundation on MS SQL Server SE:

1. memory and projects are saved criptically in MS SQL; you have no real way to separate working files, project folders or memories as in T2009.
You have to be an expert in databases to manage this

2. It is very sensitive to the triple compatibility of versions Win + MS SQL + Across

I did not try the combination with Win Vista 64, but it happend to me on an Windows XP machine to disturb the good operation after an update (Both Win XP to SP3 and SQL to something more recent); only after a very intricate and dangerous restore/reinstall combination of procedures I managed it

Better ask the Across people for support: maybe they have a straight solution for your combination

Yours truly,
Radu

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Would it be SDL... Aug 12, 2010

Radu Nicolaescu wrote:

Hello Jerzy,

do not loose your patience and hope if you really think to work with Across

the ground problem is not Across itself as application but the total foundation on MS SQL Server SE:

1. memory and projects are saved criptically in MS SQL; you have no real way to separate working files, project folders or memories as in T2009.
You have to be an expert in databases to manage this

2. It is very sensitive to the triple compatibility of versions Win + MS SQL + Across

I did not try the combination with Win Vista 64, but it happend to me on an Windows XP machine to disturb the good operation after an update (Both Win XP to SP3 and SQL to something more recent); only after a very intricate and dangerous restore/reinstall combination of procedures I managed it

Better ask the Across people for support: maybe they have a straight solution for your combination

Yours truly,
Radu

Then I can imagine people attacking 'em all the way.
Thank you.
Across is certainly not a solution for me.

Walter Moura  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:12
English to Portuguese
Update it. Aug 12, 2010

I had the same problem with it some months ago. Hardly started working the the application crashed. I almost gave it up. The Across people told me to download Across updates, which I did, and after installing it, it never again bothered me. To download the update (a file with 338 MG) just go to the Menu Bar --> Help --> Download Center. You will be taken to Across web site. The file to download is

" The latest patch for Across v5 is Across_v5.00_k as of May 12, 2010."

Installation is quite straightforward.

Hope to have helped.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I already have the latest patch :( Aug 12, 2010

Thank you for the advice.
My Across is the already latest available version.
After several attempts to use Across (this is not my first trouble with this software, some time ago I wasn't even able to install it) I must admit, that my impression about Across is indeed very deeep... frustrating. Fortunately I did not pay for the software, but TBH even for free I do not like it.

Brazil
English to Portuguese
Specifying where to download a Project Aug 12, 2010

"Another question - why does Across not allow me to specify where I want to download a project? It simply choses a location for me. I mean I am an adult person and would like to contoll my processes. In terms of EN 15038 certification this behaviour of the program is inacceptable - without playing Sherlock Holmes on my PC I do not know the location of files."

After finishing your translation, go to "File-->CLose Task" (or hit "Ctrl Q") to go to the CrossBoard. There, highlight your project, click on "Project" on the right side of the screen (Or hit "Ctrl+Alt+O"). The Check-out wizard appears. CLick Next, Highlight your project, --> Next, again (No need to highlight). There appears the Field Save the Folder, plus a Button "Browse". There you chose where you want to download your file. If you want to make it different from the original, go to the field "User defined ending", to change the name of the file, as Across will save with the same original name.

Hope to have helped.

[Edited at 2010-08-12 20:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-08-12 20:45 GMT]

Brazil
English to Portuguese
Perhaps Vista is to Blame Aug 13, 2010

I am only an OS user, not an expert, and can not speak on their qualities. I never attempted Vista, had heard so many bad things about it; I use Across under WinXP and under Windows 7, and it works like a charm on both. I am very satisfied with it; I used Wordfast Classic, and OmegaT, DVX and even Trados, and I think it (Across) is the best of the batch.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It may be a Vista problem Aug 13, 2010

Thank you very much for your valuable help.
Yes, indeed Vista might be the problem, however Across would then be the only tool I cannot use due to Vista.
I still did not manage to upgrade to Win7, even I have the upgrade DVD for my system here. No time and to high risk during project work.
But as for Across and WinXP - my experience with it is as bad as now, as I was not able to install Across under WinXP Pro for half a year approx. Managing finally with numerous attempts and not even really knowing what was the culprit.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
SQL server... Multiterm bugware... Aug 13, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Thank you very much for your valuable help.
Yes, indeed Vista might be the problem, however Across would then be the only tool I cannot use due to Vista.

Well.
By default, neither Multiterm 2007 works correctly (in fact, as expected, although MT 2007 was released after Vista and should be compatible).

But as for Across and WinXP - my experience with it is as bad as now, as I was not able to install Across under WinXP Pro for half a year approx. Managing finally with numerous attempts and not even really knowing what was the culprit.

The main problem is the SQL server.
The setup may be surprisingly tricky.
AFAIK the safest way to install it correctly is to stop temporarily all the remaining MS SQL server instances or, if possible, install Across SQL as the first SQL server instance, just in the way the savvy people install Trados and it's runtimes

I had a LOT of 3.x and 4.x related problems but the 5.x is rather predictable, I had no problems with the upgrade of my existing 4.x installations and I installed it on Vista in one attempt although it was the third SQL instance on my notebook.

Your machine was fully patched or a canned Trados one?

Cheers
GG

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No other SQL servers there Aug 13, 2010

But the machine was indeed a Trados one, so fully MS-patched, but cut-off Java stuff.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Patching... Java... Aug 13, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

But the machine was indeed a Trados one, so fully MS-patched,

As I often see, many users tend to maintain jurassic configurations in order to maintain working Trados setup.

but cut-off Java stuff.

AFAIK Across doesn't use Java at all.

If you want, we may establish a TeamViewer session this weekend, I can take a look (in the evening, please...).
I'm in the middle of the maintenance of my PCs (you remember my MT2009 general failure related post...), I'll probably upgrade Across tonite, so I'll refresh my experiences

Cheers
GG

Roy OConnor
Member (2009)
German to English
Vista, Across and Trados Aug 13, 2010

FYI, I have installed Across v5 and Trados 2007 + Studio SP2 on my Vista 64 machine and all run fine. Across does seem slow though in comparison, but maybe that is how it is.

Maybe it is something to do with the order of installation.

Radu Nicolaescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 05:12
Member (2006)
German to Romanian
+ ...
Order of installation Aug 13, 2010

Roy OConnor wrote:

Maybe it is something to do with the order of installation.

For sure is a question of order of installation

MS Office Pro has a socalled "business contact manager" application which installs MS SQL Server
It happened me on a machine to have troubles with a subsequent installation of the SQL included in the Across kit.
Conflicting versions of SQL may hinder Across to work properly

As a personal taste, I like Across as heavy weapon; it is really a very performant tool, with excellent filters, but ...

for people who manage to make it move and get accustomed with the logic of settings

Do not give up!

[Bearbeitet am 2010-08-14 07:40 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across crashing after having tried to store the first sentence

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search