TrM Translations
TrM Translations
Hungary
Local time: 13:57
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Aug 12, 2010

Hello,

I am trying to import a few of my glossaries into crossTerm (using csv).

I can import the data, but simply put I don't understand all the switches and options and when to choose which (i.e. "type of information" drop-down menu, "assign term attribute" etc.) so I am just guessing and clicking around.

I am also having the same problem when I try to filter the terms: the filter used for crossTank is straightforward but crossTerm is just very complicated
... See more
Hello,

I am trying to import a few of my glossaries into crossTerm (using csv).

I can import the data, but simply put I don't understand all the switches and options and when to choose which (i.e. "type of information" drop-down menu, "assign term attribute" etc.) so I am just guessing and clicking around.

I am also having the same problem when I try to filter the terms: the filter used for crossTank is straightforward but crossTerm is just very complicated (all I want to do is to see crossTerm entries for a certain Relation displayed and not any other entries within the CrossDesk editor).

I looked at the help but it is not very detailed.

Is there a reasonable manual or clear description anywhere?

I apologize for not being very detailed, I tried writing down the specific questions but the primary problem is that I have failed to understand the underlying logic (unlike in case of crossTank which is very clear and intuitive).

Thanks for any help in advance: I can write down the few major issues in more detail, but at first I guess the best would be to simply try and understand the things.

Program version: Across PE 5.00 K (en).

Istvan Fulop
TRM Translations, Hungary

[Edited at 2010-08-12 13:34 GMT]
Collapse

AAV
AAV
Local time: 18:57
How to filter by relation: Aug 13, 2010

In crossTerm window (right side of crossDesk) there is a button "crossTerm search filter" (near the "filter" combobox). Click on it.
Window "Search filter" opens.
Here all term properties are shown in a "tree view". To enable relation filter, enable"Servers" checkbox (additional "branch" opens). Select Local server -> System attributes -> Term level -> Relations. Now select relation you want to be shown. Click on OK and refresh crossTerm result.

Please ask if something i
... See more
In crossTerm window (right side of crossDesk) there is a button "crossTerm search filter" (near the "filter" combobox). Click on it.
Window "Search filter" opens.
Here all term properties are shown in a "tree view". To enable relation filter, enable"Servers" checkbox (additional "branch" opens). Select Local server -> System attributes -> Term level -> Relations. Now select relation you want to be shown. Click on OK and refresh crossTerm result.

Please ask if something in my description is not clear
Collapse

TrM Translations
TrM Translations
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the filtering information Aug 13, 2010

Thanks for the filtering information!

This seems to work!

TrM Translations
TrM Translations
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Next question: adding comments and other attributes to items Aug 13, 2010

I have started importing a few things: my csv file is set up so that I have four columns:
- English term
- Hungarian term
- a comment field with some useful information
- the date the entry was added to the glossary

I can successfully import the terms (setting their type=string).

However, I don't quote understand how I could make the comment field and the date field be shown in the crossterm box. I have tried all sorts of methods, adding them as
... See more
I have started importing a few things: my csv file is set up so that I have four columns:
- English term
- Hungarian term
- a comment field with some useful information
- the date the entry was added to the glossary

I can successfully import the terms (setting their type=string).

However, I don't quote understand how I could make the comment field and the date field be shown in the crossterm box. I have tried all sorts of methods, adding them as 'Note'-s to Entries, and also as Term attributes to the Terms.

My impression is that these do not work yet.

Can you please give me some hints?

Thanks

Istvan
Collapse

AAV
AAV
Local time: 18:57
How to import entry note and date Aug 16, 2010

First you need to specify, that your entries can have property "Note".
For this:
- In crossTerm Manager go to "Tools->Settings: Entries -> Textfields". Add textfield "Note" (if there is no such textfield there).
- Now go to "Tools->Settings: Template administration -> Entry template", and add data category "Note" to template.
Now you can add "note" properties for any of your entries.

Second, you need to map your note and date from CSV to Across properties.... See more
First you need to specify, that your entries can have property "Note".
For this:
- In crossTerm Manager go to "Tools->Settings: Entries -> Textfields". Add textfield "Note" (if there is no such textfield there).
- Now go to "Tools->Settings: Template administration -> Entry template", and add data category "Note" to template.
Now you can add "note" properties for any of your entries.

Second, you need to map your note and date from CSV to Across properties.
- while importing, on the page "Specify types of columns", select:
"term" for English and Hungarian terms,
"concept text" for entry note,
"concept creation date" for date.
- on "map attributes" page for csv attribute "Note" select Across data category "Note".

That's it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Terminology import and filtering howto, please help

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »