Across sentence segmentation creates paragraphs (and a formatting problem).
Thread poster: stijnhommes

stijnhommes
Netherlands
Local time: 05:10
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sep 26, 2010

I'm working on a translation project Dutch to English, but the segmentation is doing my head in. Although the settings claim segmentation is being done on the sentence level when I look at the settings for word documents (my source), I still get paragraphs in my segments, which makes using the memory and proper formatting unnecessarily hard. What am I doing wrong?

Secondly, the program adds nice colors to formatted text, but the text that has links attached (in the FAQ to be translated) is shortened in the source, and can't be edited in the target without losing the formatting. What should I do?

Regards,
Stijn Hommes

Direct link Reply with quote

KRAFTER
Local time: 06:10
English to Russian
+ ...
Suggestion Oct 6, 2010

...Although the settings claim segmentation is being done on the sentence level when I look at the settings for word documents (my source), I still get paragraphs in my segments, which makes using the memory and proper formatting unnecessarily hard. What am I doing wrong?

Please, point out the version of Across you are using.
Next, set up an approptiate type of segmentation for your document (System Settings > Segmentation and System Settings > Documents Settings > Splitting Settings (Split a paragraph into sentences for your document type)). Then, go to your project, select it, select the document you are working on, and press Update (of document, not project).
Sometimes this doesn't help. In this case it is necessary to delete document from the project and add this document again.

Secondly, the program adds nice colors to formatted text, but the text that has links attached (in the FAQ to be translated) is shortened in the source, and can't be edited in the target without losing the formatting. What should I do?

The problem is unclear, I should see this text.

[Редактировалось 2010-10-06 14:55 GMT]

stijnhommes
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Oct 6, 2010

I'm using Across version 5. It appears I don't have the very latest patch that includes MT integration, but I have a support question outstanding with Across about that. I'll try the splitting you described.

The second problem has resolved itself.

KRAFTER
English to Russian
+ ...
I hope, this should help with segmentation Oct 6, 2010

Dear Stijn, I hope you'll can solve your problem. Except this, I suggest you to install last patch (SP1 B), because it allows to joint segments.

Regards,
Konstantin "KRAFTER"

stijnhommes
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Where? Oct 6, 2010

Is that service pack in the latest K patch or do I need to download it from somewhere else?

KRAFTER
English to Russian
+ ...
Across SP1 Oct 8, 2010

stijnhommes wrote:
Is that service pack in the latest K patch or do I need to download it from somewhere else?

At http://www.across.net/en/download-center.aspx (Across Download Center) you can download new pack SP1 B.
=Regards=

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across sentence segmentation creates paragraphs (and a formatting problem).

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search