Across: new pack 5.00 SP1
Thread poster: KRAFTER

KRAFTER
Local time: 07:25
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 6, 2010

Dear forum participants!
On September, 23, Across Systems announced and shipped a new pack and, really, new version -- 5.00 SP1 B. Please, share here your experiences and impressions about new release.
The list of the new pack's improvements is impressive, but I faced some troubles.
Main of them:
1. Sometimes concordance doesn't work properly (it self-switches the language pair "source -> target").
2. Machine translation doesn't function at all.
Naturally, I've informed the Across support service about the trouble, but, as I think, there are so much bugs in the new pack, that they aren't able to give replies for all users.
Nevertheless I estimate new pack as prospective.

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomasz Duda
Local time: 06:25
Italian to Polish
+ ...
further problems with patch C (and D) Jan 4, 2011

Hi,
I had exactly the same problems. After installing patch C on my laptop (with Win XP), however, I noticed that the MT option had disappeared entirely from the Settings menu.

Also, I was unable to install patch C or D on my other computer running on Vista (I was only allowed me to install/remove the software, and there was no update/patch option).

Have you managed to solve any of the issues?

[Edited at 2011-01-04 12:22 GMT]

KRAFTER
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New patch Jan 4, 2011

Hello and Happy New Year!
Thank you, Tomasz, for your comment. Though I began this branch in the forum, now I don't use Across for translation. I saw, that a next patch was released (SP 1 D) and have downloaded it, but I even have no installed Across on my machine (at this moment I work in Trados Studio 2009 SP3).

I have to tell, that I was fully satisfied with patch SP1 C. Concordance worked fine, but MT was not supported by free licence. Soon I'll get familiar with features of SP1 D and if they will be impressive, I'll install Across again.
It's very strange that your C and D patches work unproperly. Mine worked, as I told, correctly without any bugs.

Regards,
Konstantin

Tomasz Duda
Local time: 06:25
Italian to Polish
+ ...
thanks Jan 5, 2011

Thanks for your reply, Konstantin.

Across support didn't answer me about the MT issue in v5.00 before patching, either, but now at least I know from you it doesn't come with the free licence. Not that I really need it, but since it was there, I wanted to check it out.

I don't think there are major bugs, in my case it must be some Vista problem (since all works fine on XP). Updating from v4.00 was complex enough (given that you have to backup/uninstall/reinstall). Might be a registry issue, who knows.

I'm actually very satisfied with Across. The only thing I hated in v5.00 just after installing was hitting Ctrl+Shift+C and finding the languages switched.

Regards,
Tomasz

KRAFTER
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Duda Jan 5, 2011

Tomasz Duda wrote:
Thanks for your reply, Konstantin.

Dear Tomasz!
I see, Across is enough enhanced CAT, but last time I fulfilled several projects in SDL Trados Studio 2009 and have made sure that this software is very powerful tool for translator. Though, as you know, Trados is often criticized by many people, SP3 patch works stable and reliably. BTW, Trados supports 3 (!) MT on-line engines, use of which sometimes is convenient. So I can you recommend to try this CAT.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across: new pack 5.00 SP1

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search