[Rant] Learn to provide proper patches
Thread poster: Mr Florida
Mr Florida
Local time: 16:07
German to English
+ ...
Jan 4, 2011

It is truly beyond me why Across is unable to provide proper patches to the Across software. If you want to run a minor bug-fix patch, say from Across 5 SP1 patch C to Across 5 SP1 patch D, you have to download the following package:

Across_v5.00_SP1_d as of December 30, 2010 - multilingual (579 MB)

Did I mention it's 579 MB? I am sorry, but unless Across wants to suggest that Across 5 SP1 patch C was such a buggy release that it had to be rewritten from scratch, I do not understand why it is impossible to reduce the patch size to contain just the data that has been modified.

Carry on ...

Direct link Reply with quote

AAV
Local time: 03:07
And what if I have 5 SP1 A installed? Jan 5, 2011

Across doesn't know what patch you currently have.
So, there are 2 options - to provide all previous patches and force user to install all off them sequentially, or to provide only one patch, which contains all changes and fixes from previous ones. Across prefers the second option.

BTW, you can apply this package even on v5.0 (without Service Pack), and it will be upgraded to the latest 5sp1d.

[Edited at 2011-01-05 13:04 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[Rant] Learn to provide proper patches

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search