Across and Excel alignment - 1 cell = 1 segment
Thread poster: Telemarker
Telemarker
Telemarker
Local time: 16:20
French to English
May 26, 2011

We are trying to enter text extracted from a software application (the menus, fields, and help messages) into the CrossTank from an Excel file. We need Across to accept 1 Excel cell as 1 segment for alignment purposes.
Has anyone done anything like this before?
We've played around with the templates but to no avail, as yet...
Anyone have ideas?
Thanks in advance
Simon

Manticore (X)
Manticore (X)  Identity Verified

English to German
+ ...
Hi Simon May 27, 2011

When I translate an Excel sheet in Across it's done exactly as you want it. To find out what you might be doing wrong I have a few questions:
1. Which type of Excel file? *.xlsx or *.xls
2. When you added the Excel file to the project, did you specify "split paragraphs into sentences"?

Please let me know and I might be able to help you.

Regards

Roland

Telemarker
Telemarker
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Further info May 27, 2011

In answer to your questions Roland:

1. We've used both types of file. I don't think this is related to the problem I'm encountering however.

2. "Split paragraphs into sentences" I'm not sure where this is when entering the files in the alignment, but the main problem is shortened words (abbreviated terms in the software to fit in the screen layout).

The problematic phrases are not complete grammatical phrases more often than not and as such cannot be consi
... See more
In answer to your questions Roland:

1. We've used both types of file. I don't think this is related to the problem I'm encountering however.

2. "Split paragraphs into sentences" I'm not sure where this is when entering the files in the alignment, but the main problem is shortened words (abbreviated terms in the software to fit in the screen layout).

The problematic phrases are not complete grammatical phrases more often than not and as such cannot be considered as either paragraphs or sentences in a classical sense, which is why I need to create an alignment cell by cell.

Examples:

EN: Allows you to activate the "division" acc. description by tax year.

FR: Permet d'activer la description des comptes "division" par exercice comptable.

And

EN: Allocation (alloc.) consultation

FR: Consultation des attributions (appro)

The 'acc." or the 'alloc.' triggers a new segment.

Thanks again!

Simon
Collapse

Manticore (X)

English to German
+ ...
Hi Simon May 28, 2011

I am going to run some tests with your phrases using my settings. I'll let you know about the outcome.

Regards

Roland

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TMX? May 28, 2011

I don't know Across so I'm not sure how it works, but if it will accept a TMX and your excel files are perfectly in sync, then save yourself the headache and just generate a TMX. Then you can feed that to Across and sidestep the problem. If you have your texts in Excel, segmented to your liking, it is always better to avoid aligners. All they do is screw things up and slow things down.
You can generate a TMX with the TMX maker in LF aligner or any number of other tools.
(Howto: copy-paste the relevant columns beside each other in an Excel spreadsheet make sure they are in sync, select them, copy to clipboard, paste into a txt file, save in UTF-8 encoding, launch the TMX maker from the other tools folder, follow the prompts.)

[Edited at 2011-05-28 10:03 GMT]
Collapse

Manticore (X)

English to German
+ ...
Hi Simon May 28, 2011

I have used your phrases and quite few of mine with plenty of abbreviations with the result that my segmentation is exactly as it should be. To be 100% sure it would be helpful if you could sent me one of your Excel files (don't forget to remove confidential stuff). If it still works as it should on my machine I'll give you my settings to be entered in your Across options.

My E-mail address: [email protected]... See more
I have used your phrases and quite few of mine with plenty of abbreviations with the result that my segmentation is exactly as it should be. To be 100% sure it would be helpful if you could sent me one of your Excel files (don't forget to remove confidential stuff). If it still works as it should on my machine I'll give you my settings to be entered in your Across options.

My E-mail address: [email protected]

Kind regards

Roland
Collapse

Telemarker
Telemarker
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 31, 2011

Roland, I've sent you a couple of test files... I'd be interested to see what your settings do in terms of aligning things.

Andras, I've downloaded the LF aligner and will be testing that tomorrow.

I'm not sure however that using a TMX file might not just be adding another layer of fog to my already difficult process!

Simon

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across and Excel alignment - 1 cell = 1 segment

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »