Thread poster: Thomas Seligmann

Thomas Seligmann  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 18:09
French to English
+ ...
Oct 12, 2011

I have version 5.00.0 SP1.

Across is not letting me view the preview of a Powerpoint file I am translating. I need to do this because I am sending it off to be proofread, and when they log on using the same username as me, the translation appears blank and un-started to them, so our only option is to send the target preview (and the source one too of course, to compare). We don't have the original ppt file - the client has simply put the job onto the server, to then deliver again on the server, and has not sent the actual files.

Anyway, when I click on "view target/source preview", it just says "please wait" for a long time, then says that Powerpoint is not working, then an error message "tries: 10. max: 10" (i.e. it has tried 10 times to open Powerpoint and failed), then it does show a "preview" but all that preview is is a completely blank document with nothing on it, just a white screen. Then when you close the preview, the entire Across program closes down without warning or saving.

I have a new computer and use Powerpoint regularly and have never had a problem, so I am 100% sure it is Across that is not working, not Powerpoint (combined with the fact that Across has on the whole made my computer a lot slower when I'm on Across).

Has anyone ever had this issue before and knows how to resolve it?

Or alternatively do you know how to let someone else onto the account so they CAN see the work you've done, so that they can proofread/review it. As I said, when my colleague goes on there when she knows I am not on it, it appears completely empty and not translated to her even though I have completed it.

Thanks in advance.
Tom

[Edited at 2011-10-12 02:15 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 19:09
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Macro security Oct 12, 2011

Tom S wrote:

Anyway, when I click on "view target/source preview", it just says "please wait" for a long time, then says that Powerpoint is not working, then an error message "tries: 10. max: 10" (i.e. it has tried 10 times to open Powerpoint and failed), then it does show a "preview" but all that preview is is a completely blank document with nothing on it, just a white screen. Then when you close the preview, the entire Across program closes down without warning or saving.

I don't use Across but it can be a result of the macro security level in PowerPoint. Lowering it may help.

Thomas Seligmann  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 18:09
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 12, 2011

Thank you, have finally got it to work many hours later!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't preview a Powerpoint file

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search