Cannot 'confirm' new task in Across 'My tasks' area
Thread poster: Joanne Hamilton

Joanne Hamilton  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:23
French to English
Nov 21, 2011

I recently downloaded the Across personal edition. I have created a project but in the 'My tasks' area, there is no option to 'confirm/ reject' the task as the help states I must do before beginning to translate. There is only an option to 'open' or 'show report'. I have tried translating in the cross desk anyway despite not confirming the translation, but as a result it appears that none of the translation is entered into the cross tank TM.

I believe I need to 'confirm' the translation somehow before beginning to translate but do not appear to have this option.

Can anybody offer some advice about this? I would be most grateful.

Jo

IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
AFAIK only needed when connecting to an Across server Nov 21, 2011

Caveat: I have never used Across PE for local projects.

When I connect to a server and retrieve a task assigned to me, I can open the task for viewing (write protected) or I can confirm or decline the task. I need to confirm the task in order to be able to do any kinds of edits. The online help says only how to confirm a task which has been assigned to me from a server, which sort of implies that it's not required for local projects.

When I have confirmed the task I can only remove or open the project, in which case it opens in read/write mode. When the task has been deliverd I can only open it in viewing mode.

Ergo, if you can edit the task after opening it, you shouldn't need to confirm it.

AAV
Local time: 22:23
No need to confirm Nov 22, 2011

Help is intended for translators working with Servers (they should inform Server that they have started translation - confirmation is needed here).
If you are working "for yourself", you don't need to confirm anything.

Joanne Hamilton  Identity Verified
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Request for more info Nov 22, 2011

Ok, thanks for your replies. I understand the confirm/ reject option perfectly well now.

However, could anyone inform why even though I translate in the corss desk, the progress still shows 0% and it doesn't appear that the translated segment has been added to the translation memory? Is there a command to perform to add it to the TM or should this be done automatically when moving on to the next segment?

(Apologies for my novice questions! I'm relatively new to translation software and am just trying to get my head around how each one functions differently! I've read so much online help recently I thought I would throw the questions out to the pros!)

Thanks for all your help.

AAV
Local time: 22:23
Set to translated Nov 24, 2011

By default Across saves paragraphs you edited in "Touched" state (icon with pencil in lower right corner).
To store it to TM you need to set paragraph to "Translated" (blue icon). You can do it with shortcut "ctrl + shift + enter" (in this case paragraph will be switched to next one automatically). Progress also will increase.

Generally, I would suggest you to check across.net site - there are some free webinars for Across beginners.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot 'confirm' new task in Across 'My tasks' area

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search