Across CAP. file problem. Urgent, please help
Thread poster: david1985
david1985
david1985  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:37
English to Turkish
May 13, 2012

Hi,
I have been sent a CAP. file by my client and I want to open it in across. But the problem is that I don't know which version to download and how to open this cap file. I downloaded "Across_v5.0_SP1_en_PE_SQLX" but when I double click on the cap file it doesn't work. Should I download another version or am I making a mistake in some point?
I want to have experience on across and complete this project.
I will be so glad for your help.
Thanks...

Anna Haxen
Anna Haxen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 03:37
Member (2005)
English to Danish
+ ...
Do you have a manual? May 13, 2012

You use the CAP file (aka softkey) to log into Across the first time.

From the QuickStart guide:

b) Starting the Across Standby Remote Client
To use Across as a Standby Remote Client you need:

 The softkey you received from your customer. Softkeys provide an easy connection of Across Clients to the Across Server to authenticate the users at the Server.

 Your Across user name and, if required, your Across password, which have both be
... See more
You use the CAP file (aka softkey) to log into Across the first time.

From the QuickStart guide:

b) Starting the Across Standby Remote Client
To use Across as a Standby Remote Client you need:

 The softkey you received from your customer. Softkeys provide an easy connection of Across Clients to the Across Server to authenticate the users at the Server.

 Your Across user name and, if required, your Across password, which have both been sent to you by your customer.

To start Across as a Standby Remote Client, proceed as follows:
1. Start Across via >>Start >>All
Programs >>Across >>Across.
2. The Login dialog box opens.
3. Click the Standby Remote Client section and then Import...
4. Select the folder in which you saved your softkey, select the softkey, and click Open.
5. The field already contains your user name. Enter your password if necessary and then click Login.
6. Across will then start as a Standby Remote Client.

If this doesn't work, I think you should contact the client. Maybe the softkey wasn't created correctly.
Collapse

david1985
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
thanks, another point May 13, 2012

Dear Anna;
I exactly did what you proposed but when I click on "import" on remote client part, I can choose cap file from folder but I can't see a login part. It doesn't appear on the screen. I also tried to double click on the softkey but it says invalid.
I thought it might be my fault because I am new on across.

Anna Haxen
Anna Haxen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 03:37
Member (2005)
English to Danish
+ ...
Did you register at Across.net? May 13, 2012

And did you download the free Across Personal Edition for freelancers from Across.net?

If so, and the field with you user name doesn't appear at all when you open your softkey, I think your client must have made a mistake when creating it. Don't panic. Contact your client as soon as possible and explain the problem to them.

david1985
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 13, 2012

Dear Anna,
Thanks for your care.
I set the seal on it. We cancelled the project:)

Letitia E. Lazar
Letitia E. Lazar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:37
English to Romanian
+ ...
You need latest Across patch May 13, 2012

Most clients create now their project with the latest version of Across. For accessing their files or even to be able to open the *.cap file, you need to have it installed too. Here is the link for patch H, released in April:

ftp://ftp.across.net/across_5.0_SP1_patches/Across_v5.0_SP1_H__mui.zip

Best Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across CAP. file problem. Urgent, please help

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »