Thread poster: xxxCristina Koe
xxxCristina Koe  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:55
German to Italian
+ ...
Jun 12, 2012

Hallo!

I´ve got the Personal Edition v5.00.0 SP_1_B_En and a problem with it:

I can´t check out excel files. Everything works fine up to the point when I want to open the newly outchecked file. I then get a message that says:

"Excel cannot open the file ´yyyyy.xlsx´ because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file."

Usually I do then a preview with Across and ´copy and paste´ my text in a new excel file. It worked well since the preview had all my text preselected.
Now I´m working on an excel file and translating it in two languages and I´m facing two problems:

1: when I try to check out a double translated file, Across doesn´t work anymore, even if the computer doesn´t crash. The check out wizard remains blocked on "storing" and if I try to cancel the order it remains stuck on canceling. I have to reboot my computer to be able to work again with across.

2 when I try to do a preview of a file translated in two languages (there´s of course one original file and two target language files) I only have it all preselected if I already translated both files, otherwise I can´t even use my unorthodox `copy and paste´ method. It´s a bit annoying.

Has anyone got an idea why this happens?
If I reinstalled across would I lose all my crossTerms and my cross Tanks?

Thanks in advance

Cristina

Direct link Reply with quote

Wesley Bormann
Sweden
Office? Jun 12, 2012

Hi Cristina,

What kind of Office do you use? I couldn't really make up from your problem whether you have succesfully opened excel files which were checked out or not. It could be that you're using an somewhat older version of office (older than 2007) and they do not handle .xlsx files that well. (as in not at all)

Regarding your question about a TM staying around after an uninstall: Across saves your TM in an SQL database, so it is not integrated in Across, but I cannot be sure since I have never before uninstalled it myself. I do know you can make backups of your database though.

Kind regards,

Wesley Bormann

German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Office version Jun 12, 2012

Thanks Wesley!
I have a new Office version the 2010 one. I got it together with across, before then I used Open office.

It´s the home version though. I wondered as well if that was the reason, but I can open Word files when they are outchecked. And no I´ve never succeeded to open an Excel file after it was outchecked by Across.

The second very disturbing point is that now also some previews don´t show me my translation "all selected" so I can´t even do copy and paste with it in a new sheet.
That means some of my translations are "trapped" in Across.
I have no idea why for some translations the "all selected" preview works, and for other no. They are all parts of a bigger original file that I just divided in smaller parts to handle it better, that means they are all formatted in the same way with the same extension and so on. I´m really puzzled!

Thanks again
Cristina

George Luca  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:55
German to Romanian
+ ...
Try a file downgrade Jun 12, 2012

Across is non-sensitive even with corrupted files. That means that you can open with Across even a corrupted file, you can translate it and save it back to the target format (not all CATs are so flexible). Furthermore, as far as I know, .xlsx format over 2007 is not supported by Across. Therefore, open your . xlsx file in Excel and try to downgrade it, i.e. to save it as a .xls file. Then open a new project in Across, add the .xls file to your new project and translate it based on the existing TM. I am not very sure if you will be able to preview the target file, but I suppose that a preview is possible.

As far as your trapped files concerns, I suppose that there is again a conflict between the newer Office and Across (generation conflicts, wow), i.e. you have installed an MS Office which is not yet supported by Across.

In my opinion you don’t need to reinstall your Across, but, in any case, by reinstalling you don’t loose your cross term or cross tank entries (I have done it twice), but it may take long to import them back when reinstalling (it depends on your computer).

For your further problems I would suggest you to try to get in contact with the people from Across, they are very friendly and swiftly ( I got twice an answer to my e-mail in less than 8 hours). I suppose that they are available even for a telephone conversation.

German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I mailed the across support Jun 12, 2012

... already, this afternoon, they told me that my Across is an old version, and they gave me a ftp link in order to download a patch. Now it´s still downloading (it´s a big file).
Either tonight or tomorrow I will patch my across, and then I will see if the situation gets better.

The tip with the new extension is a good one. I´ll try it tomorrow.

As soon as I´ve tried the patch I will post the results here in the forum.

I thank you very much George, for your help

German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've installed the patch ... Jun 12, 2012

.... and the check out is working. What's still giving problems is the preview. But at least now I can get to my files.
Thanks a lot Wesley and George for your help!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I can´t check out excel files from Across

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search