joining fragmented/split segments
Thread poster: chrisDEtoEN

chrisDEtoEN
United States
Jul 10, 2013

Hi,
I have recently begun translating XML files in Across PE (5.00 SP1).

However, when I import the files, the segments are often very fragmented. For example, one sentence might be split into 3 or 4 individual segments. This makes translation laborious, and it's also not possible to correctly save the translated segments in crossTank.

My question is as follows: Is there a way that I can manually join together the fragmented segments on the fly? To use my previous example, this would mean selecting the 3-4 segments in the lefthand column that form a single sentence and then linking or joining these into ONE segment. Is that possible?

Thanks for any comments.

Chris

xxxKarnEvil
South Africa
Local time: 17:37
German to English
+ ...
It obviously helps Jul 10, 2013

to read the manuals. However, to save you time: select two or more paragraphs, use the context menu (right click) and then select join paragraphs.

have a look at: UserManual_ReferenceGuide_XXX_XXX_en.pdf

chrisDEtoEN
United States
TOPIC STARTER
error message received Jul 10, 2013

Hi,

I had previously tried what you suggested, but received the error message "Atoms are located in different branches" each time I attempted to use the "join paragraphs" command.

Any ideas about how to proceed?

Thanks and best wishes,
Chris

[Edited at 2013-07-10 13:20 GMT]

xxxKarnEvil
South Africa
Local time: 17:37
German to English
+ ...
In this case Jul 11, 2013

you have received a badly formatted text. It happens when people who know nothing about formatting in MS Word insert a hard return instead of using tabs. I suggest you format the text yourself (only possible with adding a project locally). If the project comes from a server, ask your client to re-format the text. If they won’t do it, just write what you want in individual text segments. Important is that the sentence as a whole is correct. However, the TM is then useless. As soon as I mention this to a client, they are more than willing to re-format.

Good luck.

Alexander Kozhukhov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 18:37
Member (2013)
English to Russian
+ ...
Similar problem with joining segments in Across Oct 15, 2015

I have a source text in MS Word format which is a conversion from a PDF file. The target file is rife with formatting, which includes various tables and special symbols. After checking-in of the source document to Across, many sentences have been split into separate parts. When trying to join those segments into a whole sentence again, there is a mistake message: "Used styles are different" or "It is not possible to join paragraphs that are not neighbors". It would be great if Across engineers made this feature more accessible to users. No matter how the source text is formatted, the program should allow combining such segments and store them in CrossTank as one unit, in any case.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

joining fragmented/split segments

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search