CrossTerm and CrossTank entries disappear from local database when finalising a project
Thread poster: Andreas Schweitzer
Andreas Schweitzer
Andreas Schweitzer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:42
German to English
+ ...
Jul 25, 2013

I have been working with Across PE 5.5 for a while, in a remote client setup. This means I get CWU files from the client and return CRU files to them. Before I started work I imported my Trados TMX memory which I had used for that particular client earlier. During my work, I added quite a number of terminology entries to CrossTerm. So far so good.
When I got a follow-up project from my client today I noticed that all my imported CrossTank entries had disappered, and so did all the entries
... See more
I have been working with Across PE 5.5 for a while, in a remote client setup. This means I get CWU files from the client and return CRU files to them. Before I started work I imported my Trados TMX memory which I had used for that particular client earlier. During my work, I added quite a number of terminology entries to CrossTerm. So far so good.
When I got a follow-up project from my client today I noticed that all my imported CrossTank entries had disappered, and so did all the entries from the previous project done using Across. What's more. also the termbase entries were gone. How can this be? Does anyone have an idea or experienced something similar?
Does Across perhaps delete all XTank and XTerm entries from the local database when I finalise and return a project??? Is there a setting that can be made somewhere to circumvent this???
Any help is very much appreciated.
Andreas
Collapse

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
Me too - today. Jul 30, 2013

Hi,

Not that I have a solution, alas, but just now I experienced the exact same thing.

Last project, I entered a gazillion terms, and when I opened the new project today - same client so naturally I would need the same terms - there is nothing in the term base.

It is extremely frustrating, and I hope and pray that there is some way to restore the term base, as I foolishly did not make any kind of export of the database - there is no need to do this in other
... See more
Hi,

Not that I have a solution, alas, but just now I experienced the exact same thing.

Last project, I entered a gazillion terms, and when I opened the new project today - same client so naturally I would need the same terms - there is nothing in the term base.

It is extremely frustrating, and I hope and pray that there is some way to restore the term base, as I foolishly did not make any kind of export of the database - there is no need to do this in other CAT tools, and no warnings here that it would remove my terms if I didn't export them

Please, can anyone help out at all?

Oh, and I have very often been in a situation where terms, I know I have translated many times before, do not appear when searched for in concordance search no matter how it is written.
Today is no different.

This in spite of me always making sure to tick the box for downloading (and when delivering, uploading) all CrossTank entries.

This is extremely bad for client satisfaction, and it is just one more argument in a pile for me to try to convince my clients to go for another CAT tool next time

[Edited at 2013-07-30 08:38 GMT]
Collapse

AAV
AAV
Local time: 22:42
Contact your PM and ask to import and rebuild your packages Jul 31, 2013

Terms you've provided should be imported on server you work with (PM should import GRU), and afterwards CWU for you should be rebuild. Then it will contain terms you've sent (which are part of the server database now).

Andreas Schweitzer
Andreas Schweitzer  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
AAV is right Jul 31, 2013

WE tried exactly this, and it worked at least for the terminology. My 'old' translation units which have not been included into CRU package, however, are still lost.

The Across support was so kind to explain this to me. Basically, as remote client user you are a working slave for your customer. As soon as you send CRU back to them, the entire content goes to them and is lost on your own computer. You have to ask your master, ehm, customer, to give you, along with a new project, back
... See more
WE tried exactly this, and it worked at least for the terminology. My 'old' translation units which have not been included into CRU package, however, are still lost.

The Across support was so kind to explain this to me. Basically, as remote client user you are a working slave for your customer. As soon as you send CRU back to them, the entire content goes to them and is lost on your own computer. You have to ask your master, ehm, customer, to give you, along with a new project, back your own terminology and TM entries. Well, that's their philosophy ....

This is what they said (in German):

· Wird ein Anwender über diesen Weg angebunden gelten innerhalb des Clients die Regeln des Servers.

· Die Anbindung via Client ist auf freiberufliche Übersetzer ausgelegt.

· Daten werden nach Aufgabenabschluß auf den Server hochgeladen und stehen lokal nicht mehr zur Verfügung. Sie können die Daten vorher exportieren, wenn der Kunde das eingestellt hat. In Ihrem Fall sollte es gehen, da der Kunde wohl unsere Standardeinstellungen verwendet. Diese erlauben dem Anwender Exporte (und Importe). Im Zweifel dort nachfragen.

· Beim nächsten Auftrag werden die Daten wieder heruntergeladen, die der Kunde definiert hat. Vermutlich hat der Kunde Filter gewählt, die Ihre Daten aus dem letzten Auftrag ausschließen.
Collapse

Ismo Leppaenen
Ismo Leppaenen
Finland
Local time: 18:42
English to Finnish
+ ...
Workaround for keeping Across memories Aug 1, 2013

I am not sure, whether this solution works always, but I have used it. Get an Across license file for working offline. It eliminates many problems caused by working online and in particular when using Across via remote desktop. When you have finished the translation but not yet delivered it, go to XTank and export the memory. In that way you will have a copy of your work. Works most of the time.

Adrian Godfrey
Adrian Godfrey
Luxembourg
German to English
+ ...
Will he Personal Edition actually import a CWU? Feb 22, 2014

Some clients actually put the CWU on an FTP Server due to the extreme slowness of "retrieve task" (and deliver task) within across itself.

The CWU which should include the TM and termbase imports into the standby client, but will it import into the "Personal Edition" of across?

Alternatively, is there ANY documentation of what the SQL Server database tables actually contain? They are on your own hard disk. It is crazy with some across projects that you don't have permis
... See more
Some clients actually put the CWU on an FTP Server due to the extreme slowness of "retrieve task" (and deliver task) within across itself.

The CWU which should include the TM and termbase imports into the standby client, but will it import into the "Personal Edition" of across?

Alternatively, is there ANY documentation of what the SQL Server database tables actually contain? They are on your own hard disk. It is crazy with some across projects that you don't have permission even with elevated administrator rights to files on your own PC.

Also, don't answer yes to "remove from your local database" when those "you have been unassigned" messages turn up. That should at least give a chance to try exploring your own hard disk with other tools.

Molle wrote:

I am not sure, whether this solution works always, but I have used it. Get an Across license file for working offline. It eliminates many problems caused by working online and in particular when using Across via remote desktop. When you have finished the translation but not yet delivered it, go to XTank and export the memory. In that way you will have a copy of your work. Works most of the time.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CrossTerm and CrossTank entries disappear from local database when finalising a project

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »