Is concordance search in Across Language Server working for anybody?
Thread poster: Katarzyna Slowikova

Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:08
English to Czech
+ ...
Jun 24, 2014

Hello,
I have been looking for a solution to this problem for quite some time.
The concordance search has never worked in my Across Language Server version (now 5.7).
It looks up only 100% matches and only in source text.
To be sure, I have always had the "minimum matching degree" set to 50% percent.

I'm working on a bigger project right now and the absence of concordance search is a headache.
I have asked this question at an online seminar and in another translation group and never got an answer.
There's also a similar thread in this group from 2008, but with no relevant answer.

I have given up asking for a solution, I'd only like to know, whether I am the only one on this planet with this problem. IS IT WORKING FOR ANYBODY?

With despair,

Katarzyna

[Edited at 2014-06-24 22:04 GMT]

AAV
Local time: 08:08
Any details? Jun 25, 2014

Could you please provide some more details?
Have you ever tried to type some word in "concordance search" tab of Search Center? Will it be found?
Can you also try to selecti one word in text and press "ctrl + shift + alt" (start concordance search)?

Probably if you describe problem, someone would be able to help.

Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How else do you think I would know it doesn't work, if I have never tried it? Jun 25, 2014

How else do you think I would know it doesn't work, if I have never tried it?
Of course, I did all you describe!
If the word in TM differs 1% from the one typed in search box, it won't be found.
I don't know what else should I describe here.

But I understand it works for you?
Do you have the Language Server or PE?

[Edited at 2014-06-25 19:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-06-25 19:53 GMT]

AAV
Concordance only finds same words Jun 26, 2014

Thank you, much more clear now.

"If the word differs" is the core moment.
Concordance match will never be found if word differs, because otherwise you'll get a lot of unusable garbage in results. If you are searching how "call customer" is usually used, would thousands of TMs with "all customers" help?

Extraction from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translation_memory
Concordance: When the translator selects one or more words in the source segment, the system retrieves segment pairs that match the search criteria. This feature is helpful for finding translations of terms and idioms in the absence of a terminology database.

I hope I understood you correctly this time. Otherwise, would you please provide examples of what you search exactly and which TM should be found by Concordance.

>> But I understand it works for you?
>> Do you have the Language Server or PE?
It works for me according to my understanding of Concordanceicon_smile.gif There is no difference between PE and LS in this case, but I have both.

Hope we will sort out everything soonicon_smile.gif

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:08
Finnish to French
Concordance search in Across useless for inflected languages Jun 29, 2014

Katarzyna Slowikova wrote:
It looks up only 100% matches

Yes, which makes it totally useless for inflected languages.
and only in source text.

This only adds insult to injury.
I have given up asking for a solution, I'd only like to know, whether I am the only one on this planet with this problem. IS IT WORKING FOR ANYBODY?

The solution is to switch to a tool that has a decent concordance search function that also works with inflected languages. memoQ and Wordfast are two such tools. They can also search concordances from the target language.
Too bad if you are "forced" to use Across, which I believe is the main reason for people using it.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:08
Finnish to French
Lame excuse Jun 29, 2014

AAV wrote:
Concordance match will never be found if word differs, because otherwise you'll get a lot of unusable garbage in results. If you are searching how "call customer" is usually used, would thousands of TMs with "all customers" help?

What a pathetic excuse. Get a reality check: not everyone deals with English. Katarzyna deals with Polish and Czech, I deal with Finnish. Words in these languages "differ" for morphological reasons: it's perfectly legitimate to expect a CAT tool to find concordances with various forms of the same word.

Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
don't buy it Jun 30, 2014

Sorry, looks like I don't know how to quote properly... So I'll try to distinguish it manually.

[quote]AAV wrote:

Thank you, much more clear now.

"If the word differs" is the core moment.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I'm spoiled by Trados, but that's really not my definition of concordance. (not only my: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/concordance?clickid=9d3326b99233806c6f9fa814fb6cf025)
As Dominique already pointed out, in inflected languages a 13-letters phrase like yours would differ much (!) more than by 1 letter and still remain "the same" phrase.
It has crossed my mind that this could be a "normal" function in Across. But if so, why is there the "minimum matching degree" ????
And why on Earth would it be called "concordance", in the first place, if it's just the most primitive kind of search (compare to search enginesicon_wink.gif) ...?

In short, I'm still struggling to believe, this is a "normal functionality" in Across. If so, it must have been developed by people who now *** about languages (wouldn't expect that from Germans, which after all, made Trados as well).
I'm still hoping to be enlighten as to what I'm doing wrong.

But thanks for your answers, both of you. And sorry for my late response, too much work (luckily not in Across).

[Edited at 2014-06-30 16:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-06-30 16:14 GMT]

Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
let me answer my own question :// Jul 7, 2014

I just had a look into this manual:

http://www.across.net/documentation/onlinehelp/Across_en/Index.htm

If you go to CrossTank->Search for Translations, it shows several modes of search. "Advanced search" with placeholders would actually do what I expected from concordance. The only problem is that this search option doesn't appear to be there in the 5.7 version.... I don't know than what does the manual refer to.... some previous version....? So this type of search, however hidden, was there and they decided to remove it? Great.... really excellent!

Anyway, it really looks like the Across people understand "concordance search" same as AAV, probably based on similar level of "linguistic expertise" ://... the "minimum matching degree" (in Profile Settings->CrossDesk->CrossTank) probably refers to the search of the similar sentences as you go to another segment (those displayed at the bottom... fuzzy search?).

All in all, it's unbelievable such deficient CAT can be a tool of choice to anybody... of course, translators (me among them) are being coerced to use it but those agencies....? What did they base their decision on...?
Really, I don't get it.....

[Edited at 2014-07-07 23:47 GMT]

AAV
Advanced search in crossDesk Jul 8, 2014

If you go to CrossTank->Search for Translations, it shows several modes of search. "Advanced search" with placeholders would actually do what I expected from concordance. The only problem is that this search option doesn't appear to be there in the 5.7 version....

Hi Katarzyna,
if Advanced search is what you are looking for, try the following:
1) when you are in crossDesk translation environment,
2) in "Search Center" panel (the one at the bottom) switch from "Fuzzy" tab to "Concordance" tab.
3) there is a toolbar on the right part of the panel. Find toggle button "Advanced search" there (blue binocular with a plus symbol) and enable it.
4) Try to search part of your word with wildcards.
Is it what you need?

Btw, advanced search is also available in crossTank Manager (5.7 version) for me, so it's strange, that it doesn't appear for you...

[Edited at 2014-07-08 05:51 GMT]

Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a mil, it works!! Aug 19, 2014

Now tell me, how to search in target... it seems to work for me in source only, though even this is a change for much, much, much! better.

Btw. sorry for my late response (again), I haven't got the alert or perhaps haven't noticed it... came here today just by chance.

Thanks again,

K.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is concordance search in Across Language Server working for anybody?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search