Across 6.0 upgrade
Thread poster: Jaypb

Jaypb
United States
Aug 8, 2014

Hello everyone,

My company uses online internal translators in the office as well as a few offline remote translators and we're looking to upgrade to Across 6.0 relatively soon, from 5.7. We want to be cautious about the timing of it all and I'm looking for some feedback. Has anyone used Across 6.0 yet? Is it stable or are there still some bugs to be worked out (aside from anything that existed in 5.7)? The new project management features showcased in the webinar look nice, but newly released software isn't always stable and I want to test the waters.

Thanks!

Adrian Godfrey
Luxembourg
Local time: 18:50
German to English
+ ...
Compatibilty and permissions bug Aug 9, 2014

I don't know yet about the compatibilty issues between 5.7 clients and across 6 servers.
But does Version 6 fix the "you don't have permissions" bug (i.e. export to TMX and TBX)
and all those Internet connections instead of using what should be in the SQL Server database when you do "retrieve task" or import a CWU?

Jaypb
United States
TOPIC STARTER
5.7 & 6 incompatible Aug 11, 2014

Although I haven't tried 6.0 out, I've spoken with the Across team and I know that 5.7 and 6.0 are incompatible. Here is a copied portion of an email I got back from support:

"You are not required to update immediately but if you do, all users working online will need to operate on the same version. Users working offline can update to v6, but once they update, they cannot go back to v5.7 (e.g., downgrade). If you wish to test the update, you will need to do it on a client that is not operating on the same network as the server or use a personal edition."

I don't know anything about the permissions bug, I've never experienced that before.

2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
When will the new Across 6 be released? Aug 16, 2014

Hello Across,

When will the new Across version be released? At the FIT Congress you told me "End of August". Is this release date still valid?

Will there be any changes in the "closed documentation chain"?

Will it be possible to edit Across XLIFF projects in other CAT editors in future (provided that the client grants the required access rights)?

Cheers,

Hans
http://www.niederlaendisch.nl

Adrian Godfrey
Luxembourg
German to English
+ ...
Table documentation Aug 16, 2014

Will across Version 6 provide documentation for the SQL Server database tables?

Will the issues with exporting crosstank and crossterm be resolved? There has to be a way of making backups of our own work.

Trilogy
South Africa
English to German
+ ...
Across 5.7 Client and Server 6.0 ARE compatible Sep 5, 2014

How do I know? Simple, one of my clients uses server version 6.0 and I am using Across PE client 5.7, since the client 6.0 version has not been released yet.

Cheers

Roland

Jaypb
United States
TOPIC STARTER
Heard they are compatible from support Nov 24, 2014

Hi guys, sorry about the misinformation. I got off a long support session with Across Friday and 5.7 and 6.0 are indeed compatible. I must have misunderstood something in the email with them. We're working with Across Language Server 5.7, so I believe what he was referring to is everyone working in our office has to install the same version as the server on their machines. Remote users can be a different version, though. That's how I now understand it. Thanks for your responses.

Going back to my first question, from scouting around, I've heard 6.0 is pretty buggy. I've heard it's better to wait to upgrade, but sooner than June if you're on 5.7. If you've got any 6.0 experiences to share (good or bad), please let me know. I'd love to hear it.

Liselotte K. de Hennig  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:50
Spanish to German
+ ...
Workaround for Across 6.0 Client with Across 5.7 Language Server Dec 1, 2014

As my Notebook was stolen and I don't have the 5.7 installer any more, I downloaded the new Across 6.0 PE/Client. When I tried to upload the translation to my customer via CWU as usually, a message appeared saying that the package cannot be migrated 18 -> 16.
Now I have to export it in the form of a CRU file and send it either as an e-mail attachment or via ftp-server and paying attention to select 16 for the package version of the target server.

Perhaps it helps somebody.

Kind regards
Liselotte

[Bearbeitet am 2014-12-03 10:55 GMT]

Alison Watt  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:50
Member (2014)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thoughts on the new version? Dec 16, 2015

Hi,

So has anyone else gone ahead with the update? Thoughts?

I'm really missing the "Confirm all" option for confirming multiple tasks within a project and the option to filter by project in the "My tasks" view. So annoying! Makes things much more awkward if you are working on a project with multiple files as each has to be individually confirmed and then opened...

Across, if you are out there reading this, PLEASE bring back these functions!
Alison

AAV
Local time: 23:50
Both functions exist Dec 17, 2015

I'm really missing the "Confirm all" option for confirming multiple tasks within a project and the option to filter by project in the "My tasks" view.

Hi Alison,

AFAIK, both functions are still there.
To filter by project, mouse over the "Project" header of the table in "My Tasks" - filter icon will appear. Click it - and dropdown with projects appears.
To confirm multiple tasks, use multiselection (click with pressed "ctrl" or "shift") and click "confirm" button.

Almara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across 6.0 upgrade

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search