Anne Besnier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:24
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
Dec 4, 2014

Hi

I've been using Across for quite a while now and I like this tool. I've translated Word documents or XLIFF files so far.

I would like to know however whether or not Across is compatible with Trados Studio 'SDLXLIFF' files. Can I use Across for translating such files?

Many thanks for your answers

Anne

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:24
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
OMG... Dec 5, 2014

Anne Besnier wrote:

Hi

I've been using Across for quite a while now and I like this tool.
Anne

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:24
Finnish to French
De gustibus... Dec 5, 2014

... non est disputandum
Andrzej Lejman wrote:
OMG...
Anne Besnier wrote:

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Yep Dec 6, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

... non est disputandum
Andrzej Lejman wrote:
OMG...
Anne Besnier wrote:

This is the world's second worst CAT tool ever. The first one is Transit Satellite.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:24
Finnish to French
Check with a demo of Trados Studio Dec 6, 2014

Anne Besnier wrote:
I've translated Word documents or XLIFF files so far.

I would like to know however whether or not Across is compatible with Trados Studio 'SDLXLIFF' files. Can I use Across for translating such files?

As the name implies, SDLXLIFF is XLIFF. However, it contains lots of proprietary extensions (which is OK, as the standard is meant to be extensible), so that many CAT tools that support the SDLXLIFF format include a dedicated filter for it. If it's not the case for Across and you need to use the standard XLIFF filter, you would want to check how a translated SDLXLIFF would look like when it's open in Trados Studio. For that, you can download and install a trial copy of Studio, which is fully functional for 30 days.

Anne Besnier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:24
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dominique Dec 8, 2014

Thank you Dominique for your response. I will experiment to open a SDLXLIFF in Across, translate it in Across and open it again in Trados. I'll see what happens....

I appreciate that some people don't like Across and there are certainly plenty of CAT tools available on the market to cater for their needs. However, there are other people who enjoy working with Across and would like to make the most of it. This is what this forum should be for icon_smile.gif

Anne

Lissa Sum
Germany
Across can open SDLXLIFF Jan 7, 2015

Hi Anne,

you can tell Across to open SDLXLIFF as XLIFF files.

Therefor, go to Tools > System Settings > Document Associations and add the file ending *.SDLXLIFF to XLIFF.

Detailled instructions can be found on page 177 of this manual:
ftp://ftp.across.net/documentation/user_manual_reference_guide_v6_en.pdf

Hope this helps!icon_smile.gif
Lissa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating SDLXLIFF files in Across?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search