Thread poster: Mary Worby

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:50
German to English
+ ...
Jan 7, 2015

Hi,

I run Windows 7.0, 64 bit version. A couple of years ago, a client wanted to install Across for me. It turned out that the then version wasn't compatible with the 64-bit version so we had to set up a separate virtual machine running the 32 bit operating system in order to run the system. So far so good. The system is set up as an 'Across Online Client' with a customer-specific login.

A couple of months ago, another customer asked me to use Across. I couldn't use their login details on my existing setup, I tried installing Across again as a separate installation on the same VM, but it didn't work. As it happened, the job at that stage did not come to fruition, so I gave up at this stage.

Now, I have been asked by another customer to download and install the latest 'Personal Edition'. Is this the same as the Online Client? And is it compatible with the 64-bit version of Windows 7? I'm trying to work out whether we need to set up another VM for another Across client installation, or whether I can run this new version on my current desktop (or even concurrently on the other VM).

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Mary

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrej Fric  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 18:50
Member (2011)
German to Slovenian
+ ...
It runs well on Windows 7 64-bit Jan 7, 2015

I have no problems with Across on my laptop running Windows Professional 64-bit. My version of Across is 5.7.57853_en, Package version:16.

Łukasz Rojko  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2014)
English to Polish
It runs OK on Windows 7 and Windows 8! Jan 7, 2015

I have installed Across on Windows 7 and Windows 8 and have no problems.

Faruk Atabeyli  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 20:50
English to Turkish
+ ...
No problems with Across 6.0 on Windows 7.0 Jan 7, 2015

You say the login details did not work. Did you import the client provided softkey separately for the new client? You can not just type in the information of your new client in the user name/password field of your old client.

Lissa Sum
Germany
It is possible Jan 7, 2015

Hi Mary,

you can run Across on your personal computer without using an additional VM as long as the system requirements are met: ftp://ftp.across.net/documentation/System_Requirements_en.pdf

There is no problem with running Across on a 64-bit version of Windows.
It is, however not possible to parallely run an Online Client of Across (which you use for your first customer) and an Offline/Remote Client and/or Personal Edition on the same machine or VM.

Just a short explanation regarding the differences between Online and Offline Clients:
- with the Online Client you are permanently connected to your customer's Across Server, therefor using its databases when working.
- with the Offline Client you only connect to your customer's Across Server temporarily to download or upload your translation jobs' packages. The data included (documents, tasks, TM, terminology) is (temporarily) stored to databases on your system.

In both cases, you need a softkey from your customer so your Across installation knows where to connect to.

I hope this helps.

Lissa

Meindert  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
No VM needed Jan 7, 2015

I've just installed the latest stand-alone version on a 64 bit Win 8.1 without any problems, so it should work on Win 7 as well.
It lets you choose between logging in to a server and using it off-line, so there's no need to set up a VM. If you've already got a license key for the previous version, it will be fully functional indefinitely. If you don't have license, the people at Across will give you one for free after registering as a free lance translator.

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 7, 2015

Thanks all!

Faruk, I perhaps didn't express myself well. I couldn't even attempt to login with the details given to me by the second customer as my installation defaulted to the old customer's system with no option to change the customer.

But if Across now runs in Windows 64-bit I should be fine now anyway, I think. I can keep the two installations totally separate.

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Jan 7, 2015

Thanks for the later replies too, I hadn't spotted them before replying.

Looks like I should just be able to install the Personal Edition on my 'real' machine and keep the VM for my old Online Client.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across and 64-bit Windows 7.0

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search