Thread poster: Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Local time: 12:19
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 10, 2015

Hello,

I use a pretty fast Intel i7 laptop and usually have no performance problems with various applications. Across seems to be a bit slow, though. Confirming a segment and jumping to the next one sometimes takes 3 to 4 seconds, which multiplied by thousands of segments can make a difference.

I plan to buy a faster computer in the next time (a desktop maybe? I haven't decided yet). So my question: would it make a difference in Across performance if the machine was much, much faster?

I ask that because I already experienced that in other applications the performance boost was not dramatic from machine to machine (example of a different tool: after upgrading to a faster machine some years ago I did not notice a difference in performance in memoQ when doing a spellcheck, which is very slow).

Thanks for sharing your ideas!
Marcos

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
Abandon Across Mar 10, 2015

This is the worst CAT tool ever.

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
German to Greek
+ ...
I agree Mar 10, 2015

And what about the time you lose placing the cursor here and there?
The only way to boost the performance is to uninstall Across.
Use another CAT or even no CAT.

Marcos Zattar
Germany
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for not missing the point Mar 10, 2015

I have been using Across for years, I know all its flaws. If you engage me in a job today and allow me to use my CAT of choice, I will certainly not use Across. If I'm am using it, it is because I have no choice with this particular client.

I would appreciate if you could stick to my original question.

Liselotte K. de Hennig  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 08:19
Spanish to German
+ ...
Address http://www.across.net/en/support/ Mar 11, 2015

I use Across with an Intel I7 laptop and it runs very smooth. I don't see any delay when confirming a segment and jumping to the next segment even with large documents.

I would ask the support. They were of great help in the past.

TransAction
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Across (project) setup issue Mar 11, 2015

This sounds like an across setup issue. In other words, when you receive a job from a customer, there are a lot of parameters that can be set.
Not all clients are aware of the effects of each of those parameters. Some have the effect of slowing down the translation process.
Good luck

[Edited at 2015-03-11 07:57 GMT]

prozags01
Luxembourg
German to English
+ ...
Server issue Mar 11, 2015

Most likely due to the unnecessaey Internet connections. Everything is supposed to be in the SQL Server database on your own PC, but across still makes Internet connections to "online TMs" and "online termbases"

Marcos Zattar
Germany
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tags seem to slow things down Mar 11, 2015

Liselotte, I used to contact Across support quite often in the past, they were always responsive and solved my issue most times. The last time I contacted them (issue other than this topic's), in December, I had no reply. A month later I tried again, no reply either. I will try again this time with this issue, maybe I have more luck.

TransAction, I am not quite sure about that. I will consult my client.

prozags01, I wouldn't doubt if this was the issue. I will ask Across about it.

I observed Across behavior in two different projects today. It was especially slow in a project with lots of tags (4 seconds to jump to the next segment). The other project had no tags (only color marked formatting), it was much faster. But still by far not as fast as TagEditor, memoQ and Transit XV.

I appreciate your comments. I will keep digging!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Boosting performance

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search