Where can I find the TIM in across 6.0
Thread poster: big_fish
big_fish  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Mar 22, 2015

I know I should try and look for the answer which my be already available in the existing post, but my time to start a project with across is limited, I need to be able to start working soon, and I have to fight against the learning curve.
I have managed to set up a project and import my tmx from another tool, but I can't find the imported TM within across! Actually I can't find anything to put me on the tract of something traditionally referred to as TM.
The question is (or three questions):
Where across keeps TMs?
Where I can create a new TM? or
Where is my imported TM?
There is the crosstank, but nothing to be found there to put on the right track.
I've read the manual and watched video tutorials but still nothing about TM.
If you can point it a video or any other resource to help me I will appreciate it.
Thanks
Kris

Direct link Reply with quote

Alexander Somin  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:56
Member (2014)
English to Russian
+ ...
There are no separate TMs as such Mar 22, 2015

Across keeps ALL translation units in all language pairs in ONE data base (big TM) for each instance (PE and each client instance for remote client) . You can retrieve the translation units (export them) by way of using different tags (date of creation, relation (customer), subject, etc.) out from this ONE big TM. The same is with ONE big TB. So, there is a TM for your PE and several TMs for each instance of you relations (clients) in the remote client mode. You can retrieve (export) TMs as TMX from each and every instance of your across installation, each of them being ONE big TM with tags.
I mean all your translation projects end up in ONE big TM (crosstank) when you work without a client's server. When you work as remote client and is connected to the client's server, your translations end up in the crosstank, dedicated to this client. So, you'll have one instance of crosstank for all your autonomous assignments, plus one instance of crosstank for each of your clients, when working with a server.
The gist is that all the TUs in each and every crosstank instance have all a set of tags, which you can manipulate while retrieving a TMX (e. g. export a TMX, consisting of TUs, created on project of 22.03.2015, subject "Technical" and so on).
You cannot grasp for a separate TM for a given project, because it does not exist separately. You can export the TMX using tags for this project.
Conclusion: there are no separate TMs, but there are lots of tags for each TU. Manipulate tags, not TMs! If your TMs are already imported into crosstank, you may just start translating and across will automatically find your matches, just do not define any conditions for tags. Then just insert the matches.

[Edited at 2015-03-22 20:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-03-22 21:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-03-23 05:30 GMT]

big_fish  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
big mamma approach Mar 22, 2015

Thank you Alexander.
This is rather unusual, but I'll try to put up with it.
Is this CAT totally different from any other?
Should I venture into using it for production when the deadline is tight?
So far whenever I started using a new CAT it was a matter of hours to gain enough speed.
Now I feel quite lost with this tool.

prozags01
Luxembourg
German to English
+ ...
No permission for "export to TMX" Mar 23, 2015

So how do et past the "you don't have permission" bug when trying "export to TMX"? How can you not have permission to your own hard disk? Even running across with administrator rights doesn't fix this!

Alexander Somin wrote:

Conclusion: there are no separate TMs, but there are lots of tags for each TU. Manipulate tags, not TMs! If your TMs are already imported into crosstank, you may just start translating and across will automatically find your matches, just do not define any conditions for tags. Then just insert the matches.

[Edited at 2015-03-22 20:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-03-22 21:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-03-23 05:30 GMT]

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:26
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SQL Server Mar 23, 2015

You would have noticed that while you install Across, it also installs a knocked-down version of SQL Server, and it is in this that Across keeps the TMs.

If you are a computer geek, or you have access to one, you can try querying this SQL Server to access your TM. The simpler way is, of course, to export your TM using Across tools like crosstank. These exports then become .txt files, and these can be imported into most other CAT tools. The reverse is also possible, that is, importing your TMs in .txt formats into Across. You can do this by using the crosstank tools.

Most of the functions in Across are similar to what you have in other CAT tools, and if you get used to working in it, it is more or less the same with Across as with other CAT tools.

I have found the server version a bit slow sometimes, but that could be because of poor internet connectivity.

[Edited at 2015-03-23 16:29 GMT]

Alexander Somin  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
English to Russian
+ ...
Try webinars Mar 23, 2015

Dear prozags01,

There are currently free and paid webinars on across by BDÜ in German. You'll find the links on the my-across website.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where can I find the TIM in across 6.0

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search