Thread poster: Oliver Domínguez

Oliver Domínguez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:02
German to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 15, 2015

Dear all,

I want to free some space in my C: unit. To my surprise I have discovered some across-related files (5 GB in total), which seem to be old, but I am afraid to delete something still needed.

These files are in my user folder | AppData | Roaming | across | databases

And most of their names look like

crossTank_17h35m_17_07_2014_log.LDF
across_OLIVER-PC_16h02m_24_10_2014.mdf and so on...

The biggest is more than 1 GB! Do I really need these files? What are they for? The one of the example is one year old, and since I work connected to a server, I don't think they are useful anymore.

Does anybody know what are these files needed for?

Your help will be very much appreciated,

Oliver

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:02
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
I am not sure, but.... Jul 17, 2015

..... crossTank is your TM (heavy) and the other one looks like a common file, but the one who really can answer this question is yourself. In some point in time, you created them, so how does anybody else knows if you still need them or not?

I would suggest, try to open them and have a look what is 'inside'.

[Edited at 2015-07-17 20:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-07-17 20:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-07-17 20:37 GMT]

Oliver Domínguez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:02
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That could be right... Jul 18, 2015

but one of the main problems of across is its lack of transparency.

I only use across server-based, so I "Retrieve tasks" and "Deliver tasks", the rest is out of my reach. In fact, the AppData folder is invisible in Explorer by default, so that you could have those files in your drive for ages without noticing.

I have tried to execute the files, which are "SQL Server Database Transaction Log Files" and "SQL Server DB Primary Data File", but, as I suspected, nothing happens.

They really look like old files with no use, but still I would like to know if that could have a negative effect in the software.

Thank you for your answer, Robert!

Have a nice weekend

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Heavy files: are they still needed?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search