Target preview
Thread poster: Katarzyna Slowikova

Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:54
English to Czech
+ ...
Nov 6, 2015

I have never used this function on my computer before (only once on a client's computer and it worked as expected).
Now I've tried it, selected the Target preview, it took incredible amount of time to generate (half an hour or so) and after that really a strange thing - the document (doc) shows a table where in the left column there's my translation (target text) and in the right one there's a text in the target language as well, quite similar but not the same - apparently somebody elses's translation of some similar document. This document isn't in the TM (I have established it beyond any doubt doing dome concordance searches).

So the first question is where does this text come from????

The second one is, why is it there in the preview at all?
I requested a target preview and got a document (after saving it in a doc file) with a strange name "BinaryDoc_Polish (Poland)" (Polish is the target lang.). Both columns are in the same (target) language, so why would it be called binary? Isn't "binary" supposed to mean source and target? Though anyway, that's not what I requested.... can somebody please explain me what has happened, because I'm totally confused...

In About Across it says:
Across Language Server 6.0 64983_en
Package version: 18
The Preview was exported into a Word file of MS Office 2007.

Update:
I think my source text (Czech) originated as a translation from Polish (to Czech), to which some text (in Czech) has been added (and I'm translating it back to Polish). Is it possible that the previous source text, in Polish, is in some form still present in the current Across project and this is what I'm seeing in the right column of the preview?

[Edited at 2015-11-06 04:00 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Target preview

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search