How can I edit my custom dictionary for spell-checking?
Thread poster: Enrique Chi

Enrique Chi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:59
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 28, 2016

Hello:

I accidentally added a word t my custom dictionary, and I'd like to remove it. I have found nothing in the documentation of Across (which is pretty atrocious, by the way) that tells me where the dictionary file is stored, or how I can edit it. Can any of you good people help me find it?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Enrique

CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 00:59
Which one do you use? Nov 28, 2016

Is this info still valid?

Under Spell-Check, you can select the spell-check(s) to be applied in the Target Editor. In addition to the default spell-check (Sentry Spelling Checker Engine; see below) you can enable the following spell-checks by marking the respective checkboxes:

Your custom Across dictionary

The entries (terms) in crossTerm

The MS Office spell-checker (see below)

Your user dictionaries from Microsoft Office
In addition, you can select the degree of similarity (high/medium/low) of the suggestions provided.

So you can either use the Sentry spell checker or that of MS Word. Each has its own custom dictionary.

How about adding a unique string and search for it in all files (hidden and system files included) on your disks? E.g. with TotalCommander (though faster search tools probably will exist).

[Edited at 2016-11-28 05:37 GMT]

AAV
Local time: 05:59
Tools -> System Settings -> User-Defined dictionary Nov 28, 2016

Information is available in Help by keyword "User-defined dictionary". It was the second article, actually, when searching for "dictionary".
Anyway, can be accessed with Tools -> System Settings -> User-Defined dictionary.

Enrique Chi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:59
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the suggestions Nov 28, 2016

Thanks. I guess I hadn't thought about looking for the custom dictionary of each spell checker. I should have guessed that.

The list that I have in Tools > System Settings > General Settings > User-defined dictionary appears blank, so that's not being used.

I had configured Across to use MS Office spell check, but when I went to check on the corresponding custom dictionary, it did not have the word I was looking for, so I guess I need to do some further checking, but you pointed me in the right direction, so thank you much!

Regards,
Enrique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I edit my custom dictionary for spell-checking?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search