How can I edit my custom dictionary for spell-checking?
Thread poster: Enrique Chi

Enrique Chi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:46
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 28, 2016

Hello:

I accidentally added a word t my custom dictionary, and I'd like to remove it. I have found nothing in the documentation of Across (which is pretty atrocious, by the way) that tells me where the dictionary file is stored, or how I can edit it. Can any of you good people help me find it?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Enrique

Direct link Reply with quote

CafeTran Training
Netherlands
Local time: 22:46
Which one do you use? Nov 28, 2016

Is this info still valid?

Under Spell-Check, you can select the spell-check(s) to be applied in the Target Editor. In addition to the default spell-check (Sentry Spelling Checker Engine; see below) you can enable the following spell-checks by marking the respective checkboxes:

Your custom Across dictionary

The entries (terms) in crossTerm

The MS Office spell-checker (see below)

Your user dictionaries from Microsoft Office
In addition, you can select the degree of similarity (high/medium/low) of the suggestions provided.

So you can either use the Sentry spell checker or that of MS Word. Each has its own custom dictionary.

How about adding a unique string and search for it in all files (hidden and system files included) on your disks? E.g. with TotalCommander (though faster search tools probably will exist).

[Edited at 2016-11-28 05:37 GMT]

AAV
Local time: 04:46
Tools -> System Settings -> User-Defined dictionary Nov 28, 2016

Information is available in Help by keyword "User-defined dictionary". It was the second article, actually, when searching for "dictionary".
Anyway, can be accessed with Tools -> System Settings -> User-Defined dictionary.

Enrique Chi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:46
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the suggestions Nov 28, 2016

Thanks. I guess I hadn't thought about looking for the custom dictionary of each spell checker. I should have guessed that.

The list that I have in Tools > System Settings > General Settings > User-defined dictionary appears blank, so that's not being used.

I had configured Across to use MS Office spell check, but when I went to check on the corresponding custom dictionary, it did not have the word I was looking for, so I guess I need to do some further checking, but you pointed me in the right direction, so thank you much!

Regards,
Enrique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I edit my custom dictionary for spell-checking?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search