Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 02:16
Spanish
+ ...
Sep 11, 2008

I'm interested in buying Alchemy Publisher. For what I've read, Alchemy Publisher works with tagged files but has a graphic interface, which would make the translating process much easier.

Has anybody used it? What do you think of it?

PS. I had requested a demo, but it might take a while and in the mean time, I'm working on project with a tight deadline, so it's not the best time to study the manual, I prefer to read other users' opinions before.

[Edited at 2008-
... See more
I'm interested in buying Alchemy Publisher. For what I've read, Alchemy Publisher works with tagged files but has a graphic interface, which would make the translating process much easier.

Has anybody used it? What do you think of it?

PS. I had requested a demo, but it might take a while and in the mean time, I'm working on project with a tight deadline, so it's not the best time to study the manual, I prefer to read other users' opinions before.

[Edited at 2008-09-11 21:28]
Collapse

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:16
English to Japanese
+ ...
I don't have it yet.. Sep 12, 2008

and I don't have time to testdrive it eiter. Since it's still 2.0. they a "getting better" stage, I believe. I use Catalyst when required, so I can imagine the flavor of it.

I always wonder why TM tool companies offer a potcast/webcast in order to reach potential customers. Demo is kind of static, or one-sided. And we are all too busy to test run a trial version, or even to go to a conference to listen to a sales pitch. To all of us, buying a tool is a big investment, and therefo
... See more
and I don't have time to testdrive it eiter. Since it's still 2.0. they a "getting better" stage, I believe. I use Catalyst when required, so I can imagine the flavor of it.

I always wonder why TM tool companies offer a potcast/webcast in order to reach potential customers. Demo is kind of static, or one-sided. And we are all too busy to test run a trial version, or even to go to a conference to listen to a sales pitch. To all of us, buying a tool is a big investment, and therefore once you bought a tool from one company, it is hard to convert to another. Why don't they see it this way... sorry, just munbling....

Cheers
Rie
Collapse

RobertM
RobertM
Local time: 08:16
English
Alchemy Publisher etc. Sep 16, 2008

Hi Rie,
This is Robert from Alchemy.
I was just wondering how you felt TM companies should interact with the freelance community on new products.
We naturally work hard on creating solutions which we feel will bring benefit to you.
For the most part, we try to spread the value messages through advertising and to show you the product benefits through demos etc.
What way would you prefer us to communicate etc.?

Thanks a lot,

Robert

Carla Zwanenberg
Carla Zwanenberg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:16
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I have been trying to install Alchemy Publisher Sep 21, 2008

but couldn´t get it working. I have a Vista machine, so that could be the problem. The Publisher installation pack includes SQL Server Express 2005 and there seem to be some compatibility issues with Vista, which, if I understand things correctly, can be solved by installing SQL Server Express SP2.

Before trying that however, I would like to know if Publisher runs with the latest, Vista compatible SQL Server Express 2008 version as well. I sent an e-mail to Alchemy Software evalua
... See more
but couldn´t get it working. I have a Vista machine, so that could be the problem. The Publisher installation pack includes SQL Server Express 2005 and there seem to be some compatibility issues with Vista, which, if I understand things correctly, can be solved by installing SQL Server Express SP2.

Before trying that however, I would like to know if Publisher runs with the latest, Vista compatible SQL Server Express 2008 version as well. I sent an e-mail to Alchemy Software evaluation support a week ago to ask about this, but haven´t received a reply yet, which is a pity because I was really interested...
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:16
English to Turkish
+ ...
Not an easy tool to install Oct 26, 2008

I have tried to install Alchemy Publisher 2.0 many times, a package consists of Publisher, SQLExpress and Language Exchange. No problems with installation of Publisher but if you have SQLExpress already installed, then be prepared to solve problems. And installation of LanguageExchange fails as well.

I know Catalyst is a good old tool for software localization, so one expects a problem free installation of Publisher. And what about the documentation, there is only a Quick Start Guid
... See more
I have tried to install Alchemy Publisher 2.0 many times, a package consists of Publisher, SQLExpress and Language Exchange. No problems with installation of Publisher but if you have SQLExpress already installed, then be prepared to solve problems. And installation of LanguageExchange fails as well.

I know Catalyst is a good old tool for software localization, so one expects a problem free installation of Publisher. And what about the documentation, there is only a Quick Start Guide (16 pages).
Collapse

psicutrinius
psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Is there any Catalist (7.0) FULL and EXTENSIVE documentation? Nov 16, 2008

On plain old fashioned paper, I mean. The idea is to read the manual WHILE playing with the PC, not to switch screens. And I mean, from square one up to at least proficient level

Oleksandr Studenyak
Oleksandr Studenyak
Czech Republic
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Cannot connect to the server Jun 9, 2009

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

I installed evaluation version of Alchemy Publisher 2.0, but I had SQLExpress installed before, so now I'm getting "Start Session Failed" and "Cannot connect to server for authentification" error messages every time when I'm starting "My TMs". I tried to remove SQLExpress completely and reinstall it, but still not able to solve the problem and create any TM

Alchemy Support
Alchemy Support
English
Authentication Mode Jun 9, 2009

Hi Oleksandr,

Do you have for authentication mode - mixed mode authentication ?

Thanks and regards,
Jette

Oleksandr Studenyak
Oleksandr Studenyak
Czech Republic
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Windows Authentication Mode Jun 9, 2009

Alchemy Support wrote:

Hi Oleksandr,

Do you have for authentication mode - mixed mode authentication ?

Thanks and regards,
Jette

Hi Jette,

No, I have Windows Authentication Mode.

Alchemy Support
Alchemy Support
English
TM Jun 9, 2009

Just to clarify you only need the Language Exchange installed if you want to publish your TMs. However you can use Publisher and TMs without the Language Exchange installed.

Thanks and regards,
Jette

Oleksandr Studenyak
Oleksandr Studenyak
Czech Republic
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
How can I create TM? Jun 9, 2009

Alchemy Support wrote:

Just to clarify you only need the Language Exchange installed if you want to publish your TMs. However you can use Publisher and TMs without the Language Exchange installed.

Thanks and regards,
Jette

Hi Jette,

Unfortunately it's absolutely unclear for me how to create TM in Publisher and to store translation there. I am able to open Trados TMs there, but I failed to created a new TM.
It's written in the Publisher Help: "Use the My TM dialog to configure your local Translation Memories. Alchemy PUBLISHER uses Alchemy LANGUAGE EXCHANGE/Express Edition to provide a high performance Translation Memory that is stored on your desktop PC."
But My TM dialog is not working for me - when I'm clicking on the New button, then I'm getting the same 2 error messages and list of available languages on My TM Languages screen is empty.
Could you please advice?

Thanks,
Oleksandr

Alchemy Support
Alchemy Support
English
Creating TM Jun 9, 2009

You should be able to go to File | Export Project and choose the TM format you would like to use?

Please let me know if this is not what you ar elooking for.

Thanks and regards,
Jette

Oleksandr Studenyak
Oleksandr Studenyak
Czech Republic
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Got it Jun 10, 2009

Hi Jette,

This seems to be what I was looking for.

Thanks,
Oleksandr

Anahit Simonyan
Anahit Simonyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:16
English to Armenian
+ ...
Creating TM Apr 19, 2010

Jette [/quote]

Hi Jette,

Unfortunately it's absolutely unclear for me how to create TM in Publisher and to store translation there. I am able to open Trados TMs there, but I failed to created a new TM.
But My TM dialog is not working for me - when I'm clicking on the New button, then I'm getting the same 2 error messages and list of available languages on My TM Languages screen is empty.
Could you please advice?

Thanks,
Oleksan
... See more
Jette [/quote]

Hi Jette,

Could you please advice?

Thanks,
Oleksandr

[/quote]

I have the same problem. I have the full version of Publisher installed on Windows Vista. I get the same two fail messages - "Start Session Failed" and "Cannot connect to server for authentification" when I open My TMs. I have tried as Jette has adviced. File-Export Project. It seems to be working, but still I have questions.
1. Why the Alchemy .ppf format is not there in the export file options?
2. If I continue to receive these error messages, what does it mean? It means that I don´t have Language Exchange properly installed? what shall I do? Shall I continue working this way or there is any way to correct the problem. Or maybe I am losing certain options of the program if I don´t have the Language Exchange. (question directed to Oleksandr-Do you continue working this way and it goes on OK?)
3. Also, my source files do not load consistently from beginning to end, as they are in the actual text. All paragraphs are mixed without any order and consistency. How can I correct this?
Thank you very much.
Collapse

Alchemy Support
Alchemy Support
English
Apologies for the late response Apr 21, 2010

Hi Anahit,

Have you checked if you have mixed mode authentication when you installed SQL express?

The PPF format is not available when you select export project is because you use this function to export your translation memory. However if you want to use a PPF format as translation memory you can save your project, which will be saved in PPF format and then use it as a TM.

Could you show me a screenshot in regards to your problem with loading the source fi
... See more
Hi Anahit,

Have you checked if you have mixed mode authentication when you installed SQL express?

The PPF format is not available when you select export project is because you use this function to export your translation memory. However if you want to use a PPF format as translation memory you can save your project, which will be saved in PPF format and then use it as a TM.

Could you show me a screenshot in regards to your problem with loading the source file?

Thanks and regards,
Jette
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Has anybody used Alchemy Publisher 2.0?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »