Thread poster: Mohamed A. Moustafa
Mohamed A. Moustafa
Mohamed A. Moustafa  Identity Verified
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
Aug 28, 2010

Hello,
I've been translating a web page using publisher 2, but the final Arabic version turned to align from left to right, although Arabic reads from Arabic to left. So, how to resolve the issue and/or do this step before starting any future work.
I am a newbie to this program and truly impressed by the overall functioning and output, but I want a simple yet full grasp of how it works.
Thanks

[Edited at 2010-08-28 10:25 GMT]

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
Local time: 22:59
English to German
More information needed Aug 28, 2010

Muhammad Abdulfattah AHMAD wrote:
I've been translating a web page using publisher 2, but the final Arabic version turned to align from left to right, although Arabic reads from Arabic to left.

There are many possibilities why this might happen. Is the output completely reversed: I.e. does it display باتك instead of كتاب, are the letters disjointed: ب ا ت ك, or are the words themselves displayed correctly but in the wrong order?
You also may want to have a look at both the English and Arabic html documents to find out if they contain a link to a specific style-sheet or if the style is embedded in the header. If so the styles may need to be globally changed.
For a simple paragraph based html document, you might have to insert additional rtl and/or font tags. E.g.:

<p dir="rtl" align="right">
<font face="Arabic Transparent">نص عربي ...</font>
</p>

Mohamed A. Moustafa
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Aug 28, 2010

The text reads well-typed Arabic without any reversed letters.

What I mean is that, if you look at this page http://discover.islamway.com/articles.php?article_id=16, you find that the column on the left side takes the same location in the translation, with the translation within it, while it should be on the right side of the Arabic version. Also, The English text in
... See more

What I mean is that, if you look at this page http://discover.islamway.com/articles.php?article_id=16, you find that the column on the left side takes the same location in the translation, with the translation within it, while it should be on the right side of the Arabic version. Also, The English text in the source is normally aligned from left to right, and in the Arabic version it is aligned in the same way, though it should be aligned from right to left. A required typical page is like this http://www.islamway.com/?iw_s=Article&iw_a=view&article_id=6454, for example.
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 03:59
English to Thai
+ ...
Publisher 2003? Aug 28, 2010

If it is MS Publisher 2003, right-to-left texts are enabled. In Microsoft Office 2003, you can save files in HTML format for posting on the Web in right-to-left or left-to-right direction. Web pages with right-to-left direction are marked with the standard HTML DIR attribute in the HTML file. If the Web browser you are using recognizes the DIR attribute, the page will be displayed with right-to-left direction. If the DIR attribute is not recognized, the page will be displayed with left-to-right ... See more
If it is MS Publisher 2003, right-to-left texts are enabled. In Microsoft Office 2003, you can save files in HTML format for posting on the Web in right-to-left or left-to-right direction. Web pages with right-to-left direction are marked with the standard HTML DIR attribute in the HTML file. If the Web browser you are using recognizes the DIR attribute, the page will be displayed with right-to-left direction. If the DIR attribute is not recognized, the page will be displayed with left-to-right direction.

Soonthon Lupkitaro
Collapse

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
This is beyond the scope of a CAT, HTML re-design is required Aug 28, 2010

Muhammad Abdulfattah AHMAD wrote:

You probably expect the target html text to behave like localized Arabic software products where GUI items, that are on the left hand side in English MS Windows are automatically moved to the right-hand side.
However, that's not the case with HTML. In http://discover.islamway.com/articles.php?article_id=16 the column on the left hand side is part of a table with links, while the column in http://www.islamway.com/?iw_s=Article&iw_a=view&article_id=6454 was created as a Flash animation (SWF).
I.e. they're using completely different technologies. The only way to achieve the same look with the translated English web site is to completely re-design the web site layout. I.e. your translated file needs to be reformatted by a web designer.

Mohamed A. Moustafa
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 28, 2010

Thanks Olaf and Thonsoon

TargamaT team
TargamaT team  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
DeamWeaver ME Aug 28, 2010

Dear Muhammad,

You can use DeamWeaver ME edition to obtain the best result for Arabic. If you have any further problem, please do not hesitate to contact me from my profile.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

From left to right

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »