Do I have to install MUI-pack for Windows to localize Asian languages with Alchemy Catalyst 8.0?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 14, 2010

Do I have to install MUI-pack for Windows to localize Asian languages with Alchemy Catalyst 8.0?

I study a university course: "User-centered software development (UCSD) with C#" as well as other programming languages, and translate technical manuals, instructions etc. for Chinese companies. In the long run, I want to do more and more translations in the field of software localization and web site localization.

The software I would like to buy to use for localization projects is Alchemy Catalyst 8.0 (I already own Alchemy Publisher 3.0). But as I want to use it for localization also to Asian languages, I wonder if I would need to install MUI-pack for Windows on my Windows XP Pro SP3 (English version)?

I am asking this question because I could read this about SDLs Passolo:

"A multilingual Windows XP is recommended for projects with Asian languages."

Does that mean I would need to install Multilingual User Interface Pack on my Windows XP (MUI-Pack)?
Which is not possible to purchase anymore, I've already been in contact directly with Microsoft 2-3 years ago regarding purchasing a MUI-Pack for Windows XP Pro.

What about the requirements for my computer to be able to work with localization projects? I have a laptop now with Windows XP Pro SP3.

Direct link Reply with quote

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Instead of MUI-Pack, should I change operative system to Windows 7? Sep 14, 2010

Instead of MUI-Pack, perhaps I should change operative system to Windows 7. I think I already have full language support in the ultimate version of Windows 7, also in Windows menus.

Alchemy Support
Local time: 20:38
English
Language Support Sep 14, 2010

Hi Fredrik,

I wouldn't necessarily say that you need the entire MUI pack but you will need support for the languages and the fonts.

Do do this

There are a few steps on the web already for this.

Here are a few:
http://newton.uor.edu/Departments&Programs/AsianStudiesDept/Language/asianlanguageinstallation_XP.html

http://seba.studentenweb.org/thesis/howto-winxp.php

What you need to do is load Regional and Language Options from the Control Panel, click on the Languages tab and check the check box for Install files for East Asian Languages
Also in the Advance tab make sure you have the Code Pages for the languages you wish to use installed.

Note though that you will be asked for the XP CD as the files need to be copied from the CD onto the system.
However in my opinion there is no actual need to install an MUI which would make you OS lang appear in a different language, the support for these languages should be specific enough.

However you will need to add the dictionaries etc. if you wish to use the MS Office Spell Checker option.

Thanks and regards,
Jette

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search