Thread poster: Giuseppe Bellone

Giuseppe Bellone
Italy
Local time: 04:56
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 26, 2010

Has anyone experienced the same rather frustrating problem?
I installed Alchemy Publisher 3.0 but the "spell check WHILE TYPING" function, the very simple normal function that should help me while typing my translation has never worked.
It leaves all errors undetected and it does not underline (nor higlight or change colour of the wrong spelling) as it actually says in the instructions ans tutorials,and as everyone would expect from the program!!

If I want to check my translated sentences I have to ask the program on purpose and obviously NOT while typing, but after having finished the sentence/string, and even then the only thing that the program does is a suggestion of other words (which is of no use because I have to choose from the list of suggestions and write the correct spelling myselg; nothing is done automatically, not even underlining the wrong words).
Rather frustrating, rather time and attention wasting, while on the contrary, the program should do everything automatically!

All the possible ticks have been placed in the windows for dictionaries and "spell check while typing", so there must really be a problem within the program itself. I really can't find any other reason.

When getting in touch with Alchemy they told me that they knew about the problem (rather strange, why didn't they solve the problem before putting the program on the market, then??) and were trying to fix it and issue a new edition with the correct patch. I informed them several months ago about the problem and I imagine they are still working on it.
Has anyone had the same problem with the spell check? Have you told Alchemy about it as well?

Wishing you a very happy New Year,
MisterBeppe

[Modificato alle 2010-12-26 12:06 GMT]

[Modificato alle 2010-12-26 12:07 GMT]

Alchemy Support
Local time: 03:56
English
Spell Check Bug Jan 6, 2011

Hi MisterBeppe,

I wish you a Happy New year.

In regards to the "spell check as you type" function in Publisher 3, there is a known bug which has been logged with our Development team.

Alchemy Publisher will mark the misspelled words after you click somewhere else in the Publisher work window and then reselect the string.
To see suggestions for misspelled words you could use the F4 key on your keyboard.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and regards,
Jette

Giuseppe Bellone
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jette, it's a real waste of time Jan 6, 2011

Jette,
thanks for your kind answer and wishes. A Happy New Year to you, too.
I've already done what you say, that obviously works, I knew that, but it's a rather long process before obtaining the correct spelling: click, select, check suggestions, insert new spelling. Several actions for a result that should appear immediately without moving a finger.
I know that the wrong words are red but one has to go to and fro several times before obtaing the correct result, as you say in you answer. You agree with me that it's not normal, at all. The long time spent and the possible new mistakes are even too clear.

Not seeing the mistakes "immediately WHILE typing" is a real waste of time and rather frustrating, one has to spend three times as much to find the mistakes and correct them while the really useful function of the program should obviously do the following ITSELF and AUTOMATICALLY:

1- immediately underline (or colour) the wrong words, as soon as the word has been typed (Publisher should check each word against the inner dictionary, as avery common writing program does, e.g. Microsoft Office Word)
2- immediately auto-spell the word correctly (or suggest another spelling in the sentence, not in another pane), at least for all the words included in the selected inner dictionary, the same as Word does.

Neither of the above, as Alchemy has well known for several months, is done at the moment.
I pointed the problem out in June 2010. Alchemy promised the problem would be solved by October 2010 but nothing has been done so far, despite my continual emails about this issue. No doubt, it may take time to fix it, but if the problem was known why wasn't it fixed immediately "before" selling the program? Or at least, why were the customers not sent a notice about that issue? These may be stupid questions, but as a customer I do have to ask them.
Unfortunately the final result is the total impossibility to use the program the way it works now, that's the conclusion, it slows work down too much. I hope the problem is solved soon and to receive the correct update.
I must say that I like the program, though, but the spell check really spoils it, and it's a real pity.
I do hope the update is published soon. I look forward to working with the program and exploiting all its functions the best way.
Thank you again and best wishes.
Regards,
MisterBeppe

Giuseppe Bellone
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
About PUBLISHER 3.0 No answer received from Alchemy Nov 17, 2011

Dear Jette,
here I am again after almost one year.

As no new information about updates or new releases has been sent so far by Alchemy I sadly suppose nothing has been done about the problem I pointed out.

The issue about "spell check while typing the translation" was well known by Alchemy developers, as you said in your kind e-mail above (sent in December 2010) and I myself certainly was aware it was so, it was obvious they knew.

On October 15th I sent three different e-mails to three different addresses, just to make sure my deep disappointment was received:

SALES@Alchemy....
SUPPORT@Alchemy....
INFO@Alchemy....

BUT all the three offices completely ignored my e-mails sent on 25 October 2011.

I can't understand this behaviour and policy.

When customers point out a problem, serious firms usually try to solve it as quickly as possible and certainly don't pretend everything's OK ignoring the customer and considering him a silly fool who wastes his time sending protest e-mails as a hobby.

I'm very sorry and do express my deep disappointment, once more.

I do apologise for this e-mail and send you my kind regards.

Giuseppe Bellone

Alchemy Support
Local time: 03:56
English
Did you receive a reply? Nov 17, 2011

Hi Giuseppe,

My sincere apologies for the delay in this matter.

I hope you have received a reply from your Account Manager by now as I have raised this issue with Sales and Technical Support on your behalf.

Please let me know if you have not received a response.

Kind regards,
Jette

Giuseppe Bellone
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answer received from Strategic Account Manager Nov 17, 2011

Hi Jette,
thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

Yes, I've just received a kind answer from Ailí­s Murphy.

I'm glad what I pointed out will be taken into consideration after all and the problem will be solved one day.
It's a real pity it hasn't been solved so far but "All's well that ends well!" so I'm still hopeful and I renew my faith in Alchemy and its products.

Thank you for your kind help and mediation between Alchemy and me. icon_smile.gif

Kindest regards to all of you,

Giuseppe Bellone

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Spell check "while typing" in ALCHEMY PUBLISHER 3.0

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search