Thread poster: Kirill Semenov

Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 13:32
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 23, 2005

This is the first time when I have to use Catalyst. My source file is a .ttk file with a .dll content.

What I need to know is what is the `magic button' to add a translated string to a `TM' or whatever it's called in Catalyst so that next repetitions/close matches were automatically used.

I've read Catalyst 5 help, and I found there is a `Replica' function, but I still cannot get how to use it.

For example, if there is a string "Cancel", and I translate it, it's marked with the `Eye' icon (For Review). This is OK, my client asked to not use "Sign Off" while translating.

But then, when I click on another string which is the same (Cancel), nothing happens.
Since the file contains quite a lot of repetitions, I don't want to spend time on entering all the same translations endlessly...

Could anyway please help with the problem?

Direct link Reply with quote

Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Glossary should be it Dec 23, 2005

Hello Kirill,
The "magic button" should be the Glossary options tab In my version (Catalyst Lite 5.03.5269) it goes like this:

Tool > Options, expand Application > Glossary
Select "Suggest from current file (Glossary "0") and clic OK.

I think to remember the Glossary "0" content is immediately available for suggestion but it does not work all the times. That's why I have also selected "Update glossary file with (ttk) translations on close of (ttk) file" (From all translated string pairs) in the Glossary tab - Closing and opening again the file has alway done the trick.

Also, if I remember correctly, only "100% matches" are propagated from the glossary, the fuzzy matches being available only at pretranslation (and with lotsa bugs in the function too) in the full version.

Sorry if my explanation istself is "fuzzy" but since version 5 has appeared I've only reviewed already translated ttk projects and I'm a bit rusty about translation in Catalyst. Last but not least, I've learnt to keep far away from the Replica function as once it did replicate fuzzy matches as 100% matches messing up the whole of my work, but then again I think this happened back in version 4.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need some further fuzzy tip, or just some sympathy from another (almost happy) Catalyst user

Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 13:32
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hmm... Dec 23, 2005

Thank you very much, Valentina - and merry Christmas!

I set the options, and it helped... Once. With the "Cancel" string it worked, but not with others.

I believe the main problem is that I still cannot grasp the `ideologics' of Catalyst. In other CAT tools, like, say, Deja Vu X, there is a "propagate" option or something similar: when I enter a translation, it propagates full/close matches of it down to the end of the file(s) within a project.

Here, with Catalyst, it worked once, but closing and re-opening the program after translating any short string does not seem really productive to me. I'm sure there must be an easier way...

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Please help with repetitions/close matches in Catalyst

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search